Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2304703)   #26
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely chaotic. Only a few cars finished the race. The racing action was good, the weather was absolutely horrible, and there will be a lot of Ferraris needing repair work. Will we get 23 cars in Cheng Du? I guess we will have to see.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2304713)   #27
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Slightly concerned about the number of times support vehicles were driving across the track during green flag periods...
I was also a bit surprised about the flares being let off by members of the crowd, smoke seemed to be obscuring vision at one corner on the first lap of one of the races. Funny things seem to happen at Zandvoort but the crowds that turn up there are great.

Good day of racing in the end and a shame we now need to wait a month until Chengdu (a nervous wait as I still think it's an odd choice and not sure how safe or organised that place will be). That should be ample time to get the rest of the cars ready and the damaged ones fixed surely.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2304714)   #28
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the coverage was fairly lacklustre.

The cars just sounded like an unwanted background noise, there was no effort to try and capture the noise, and therefore it really lacked atmosphere.

I'm not a big fan of the presenters of the Formula One, but I feel that F1 coverage has much nicer flow to it. A1 would do better to cut back to a studio after the race, instead of having images of an empty track, with Ben Edwards talking over it. And as for the pit lane reporters, utterly useless. Could do with learning english first.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2304775)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
All things considered - lack of preparation time and atrocious weather - I thought it was a good effort.

The Sprint Race was more entertaining, because conditions were worse for the Feature Race and that caused too many accidents.

The same drivers were on the podium for both races and full respect to them. I really wouldn't want to pick a driver of the day. Loic Duval, maybe, because although he's very experienced he didn't drive the car for the first time until qualifying. Fairuz Fauzy, maybe, for a very composed drive to win the sprint race and another to follow Duval home in the feature. But what about Earl Bamber? A 2nd and a 3rd in his first ever A1GP races on a track that was new to him, even if he had had some seat time in the car beforehand. You tell me.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2304818)   #30
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did not see nor hear it, had to work at the DTM.

Anywhere where I can see vids of the races?

And the Ferrari philharmonics
Old 6 Oct 2008, 03:09 (Ref:2305087)   #31
jackschmidt
Racer

Behold! The fastest man on track!

Old 6 Oct 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2305146)   #32
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Behold he appears to have lost his car.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2305193)   #33
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlie taking a breather after setting the fastest lap.... hehe
Old 6 Oct 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2305249)   #34
jackschmidt
Racer

He was so fast, he needed to take a break to contemplate on what he has achieved.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2305267)   #35
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil
I thought the coverage was fairly lacklustre.

The cars just sounded like an unwanted background noise, there was no effort to try and capture the noise, and therefore it really lacked atmosphere.

I'm not a big fan of the presenters of the Formula One, but I feel that F1 coverage has much nicer flow to it. A1 would do better to cut back to a studio after the race, instead of having images of an empty track, with Ben Edwards talking over it. And as for the pit lane reporters, utterly useless. Could do with learning english first.
Erggh, she was awful, wasn't she!! Me and my friend just started laughing in disbelief that she got herself a job in the pits!!! I honestly thought she was a foreign interviewer for another channel that Sky had latched on to, but no.. good grief.

Great racing, good fun - First full A1 race i've ever watched. I was really intrigued for the debut a few seasons ago and was actually gutted I couldn't make the Brands race, but now I finally have Sky+ i'm going to make a solid effort to follow this series.

Felt a bit sorry for Carroll because he so reminded me of myself when I try to race

Duval looked so impressive.

Selby
Old 6 Oct 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2305389)   #36
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed very hard to pick a driver of the day.. anyone running at the end of the feature race could be one. However, I think I go for Daniel Morad.. Spectacular crash, but yet, he brought team Lebanon their first points ever!!!!

Adam Carroll on the other hand looked asif he wanted to win the series in the first two races. Had he been able to stay on track, serious points would have been possible. Now team Ireland starts the series with 0.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2305495)   #37
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
Great racing, good fun - First full A1 race i've ever watched. I was really intrigued for the debut a few seasons ago and was actually gutted I couldn't make the Brands race, but now I finally have Sky+ i'm going to make a solid effort to follow this series.
FYI the next round is scheduled to be on "interactive" on Sky Sports (apparently there are enough other live sports taking up the other four Sky Sports channels at 6am on a Sunday) - I don't know if it's possible to Sky+ their "interactive" channel.

Shame it's a month to wait until the next race, but on the other hand it should give enough time to get a full grid of fully-liveried and fully-built cars out on track.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2305502)   #38
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
I don't know if it's possible to Sky+ their "interactive" channel.
Jeez, cos,that could be seriously bad news. I suspect not but will investigate.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2305645)   #39
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
AMG Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars sounded dreadful, the old Zytek's sounded much louder (having experienced the sound at Brands this year). But even on TV, the Zytek's sounded far more distinctive.

I like A1GP, but not having the full grid looked a little unprofessional IMO. I mean even Superleague managed that!
Old 6 Oct 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2305665)   #40
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, i really liked the old A1GP car because of the Zytek engine note and the cross-ply tyres making for spectacular action. The series needed a face-lift but i fear its just 'another' single-seater series now.

However, they seemed to lack credibility before so hopefully the new look should turn it into THE definitive winter-series. (Just need to get a full grid and we'll be away!). Fingers crossed the series will stay buoyant this year.

1st time post by the way. Hi.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2305830)   #41
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Welcome Peat.

The old car looked better too, it was rather ugly, but it looked quite unique - the wings especially. This new car looks well....dull. Like any other single seater.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:08 (Ref:2305841)   #42
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The other thing that was 'good' about the old car was that it didn't work. It was a brick with no front downforce whatsoever. That induced some great racing as everyone could get close to one another.

Now there's going to be the aero problem.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2305910)   #43
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem. We still have the powerboost button. In fact with more boost this time
Old 7 Oct 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2305919)   #44
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Fan
I like A1GP, but not having the full grid looked a little unprofessional IMO. I mean even Superleague managed that!
Their full grid of 18 cars.

A1 has had problems, however their grid will be 23 cars and at their first ever round at Brands Hatch attracted more spectators than Superleague has in three rounds.

The A1 crowds have grown steadily, although don't expect next race to be a big crowd A1GP has captured peoples imagination more than Superleague.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2306198)   #45
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
True, but 18 nations is not the full grid. Don't get me wrong, A1GP has been far more successful than Superleague, but not having all the cars ready is a bit unorganised, the first round was cancelled, and the whole weekend had to be re-scheduled because teams were having difficulties with the new car. After the three years of success, having that was not expected.

Hope things pick now, because the first three years were fantastic.

Last edited by AMG Fan; 7 Oct 2008 at 15:42.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2306220)   #46
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can always blame the organizers for the cars not being ready on time but the fact remains that EVERYONE(A1GP and A1Teams) worked like a dog to make sure the fans were not dissapointed despite the dire situation. They could have given up and the whole series would have spiralled downhill from there.

I am grateful for the dedication shown by everyone. In times of difficulty is when you see strength.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2306376)   #47
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said
Old 7 Oct 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2306444)   #48
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMG, not sure what problems the teams were having with the cars? They just did not have any cars..As you see from the last week, there were cars on the grid which were only built by these teams in few days prior to the event.. Good effort
Old 7 Oct 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2306481)   #49
jackschmidt
Racer

After the carnage of Zandvoort, one has to wonder if they will have all the cars in Chengdu. I hope they do...
Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:29 (Ref:2306567)   #50
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
After the carnage of Zandvoort, one has to wonder if they will have all the cars in Chengdu. I hope they do...
Damage to the cars at Zandvoort did not appear that bad, should be no problem whatsoever.