Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Jun 2001, 12:22 (Ref:101002)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pit Speed Limters are go!

Well they have finally gotten the go ahead.

What do you guys think?

Also, the pit speed for Canberra will be 40km/h. Blimey! They might be caught breaking the speed limit pushing their cars down pitlane! I think it is a good thing at such a mickey mouse circuit, but it will put the emphasis on pit strategy- if you miss an opportunity and are forced to pit at such a slow spead, it will only exagerate any gaps... Your thoughts?
Old 4 Jun 2001, 16:29 (Ref:101070)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
40 KPH !!!!!!..wow that is slow isnt it.

I think they should make the last turn as they enter pitlane at canberra 40 kph ..that is going to claim some one big time if it isnt changed..Craig bairds crash there last year was a warning but yet nothing has been done.

anyway this will make things interesting ..cant wait for it.

when are the speed limiters being put on ????

and out of curiosity ..having speed limiters..how much of a cost would that be for a team ???

$2000 ??? $5000 ??? $10,000...dont know but it would be interesting to find out.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 23:27 (Ref:101245)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, that might be a big problem, I hope that the people slowing down even earlier doesn't cause a problem...

Apparently they are going to be in use at Canberra. Also, they shouldn't cost too much- 99% of people have the motec "brains" fitted to their car, and that already has the program to control pit speed fitted- it should only be a matter on enabling it which wouldn't cost toomuch $$. The only team that doesn't have motec is HRT....their pi version should be easily adapted.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 00:11 (Ref:101262)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Puts cunics hat on)
And the only reason they have introduced a 40 km limit is so they can justify addinig 45 seconds to a cars time for any 'alternate' time penalty in lieue of a stop/go penalty!
Old 5 Jun 2001, 01:49 (Ref:101282)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh corker! I love that!

But seriously, whats a cunic hat look like?
Old 5 Jun 2001, 02:00 (Ref:101287)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

Ahhh shaddup - just cos I can't spell cynic at this time of the morning ;(
Old 5 Jun 2001, 02:08 (Ref:101291)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I know I know...and plus isn't it mighty cold in Victoria? And doesn't the sun rise at 10:30am? Ok, I've had the make myself feel good session now

Actually, taking in a bit from the other thread, I hope it does snow, what are the rules with regards to a compulsory snow chain change?? I think all of the falcon teams will fit old style spoilers to their cars to use them to clear the road
Old 5 Jun 2001, 04:18 (Ref:101330)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I know I know...and plus isn't it mighty cold in Victoria? And doesn't the sun rise at 10:30am? Ok, I've had the make myself feel good session now
Actually it is 19.4 degrees here at present, high level cloud only - http://www.racetime.com.au/weather/wx.htm will show you the weather at my office at any time

And snow tyres - no such thing in circuit racing - they woud just have to use wets - from memory, any type of studded tyres are banned under the NCR's on circuits in Australia.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 04:38 (Ref:101336)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
So Canberra is considered a "circuit" now? Well I'm in favour of them running studded tyres (no matter what the conditions are) and tear the place up
Old 6 Jun 2001, 12:59 (Ref:101799)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say it is 40km/h to keep the number of revs low enough to make it harder to use as traction control, and it's only in first gear for similar reasons.
Old 6 Jun 2001, 13:22 (Ref:101811)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hmmm, I don't know what all the fuss about traction control is about....if the current F1 cars didn't have a problem, I'm sure it wouldnt be an issue here.

All the cars are actually fitted with traction control (I hear gasps coming from the audience!) but the fact is that it can only be 'turned on' by the Motec people, and if by some massive means of $$ a team activated the traction control, it would take 10 seconds for the technical commissioner to plug he lap top into the car to discover it..

If they are doing their TC through some other means, then they could have been doing it since 1993...