Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jan 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3350681)   #251
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The original post required knowledge that people would know Chaves hadn't been on the entry list.

The fact he was turning some laps is news and is interesting. Just because you didn't have said knowledge doesn't mean you need to belittle someone else. Why even comment?
Old 5 Jan 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3350689)   #252
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Awesome,thanks for sharing.anymore footage from turn one coming off the tri oval? Crazy sense of speed you captured there, how was that spot seeing it in person?
Thanks, great views!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3350692)   #253
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMaters View Post
Hope those Mazda's aren't showing them full speed cause for now, they are slow as hell....

I'd make sure to watch the start just to make sure I saw them race some. They seem painfully slow now but when they turn up their engines like they say they can how long will they last? Given their driveshaft issues last year I'd be very concerned about input shafts and trans parts.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3350694)   #254
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
I'd make sure to watch the start just to make sure I saw them race some. They seem painfully slow now but when they turn up their engines like they say they can how long will they last? Given their driveshaft issues last year I'd be very concerned about input shafts and trans parts.
You'll be able to see the rest of the field pass them as they lay stricken on the circuit.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3350704)   #255
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless something changes drastically, the Mazdas won't make 6 hours. It would be a shame to see them drop out. The Deltawing always has issues. If the Ford doesn't get sorted soon we could be looking at a pretty thin P class half way through the 24. According to a friend at IMSA, a few insiders are looking to PC for a possible shot at an overall win?
Old 5 Jan 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3350707)   #256
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised to see a high finish for a PC, hell in alms they had good runs.lose p1 and PC are practically right behind p2 now.just a matter if they hold up.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3350708)   #257
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMaters View Post
Hope those Mazda's aren't showing them full speed cause for now, they are slow as hell....
Hmmmm, perhaps they are!

To be honest they were slow engines in the GT class if I remember correctly. From what I understand from people who should know, the Mazda diesel engine in race spec, turbo chargers and all, is really down on power and clearly nowhere near the figures they claim it has. Can't be becaues of the chassis it's in......2 different types of car front engine V rear = same result by the looks.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3350710)   #258
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to tremblay From a Marshall pruett article, the mazdas suffered the same driveshaft failure as before in gx so the changed to stronger parts apparently to strong and started breaking things in the transmission, so they are learning

Quote:
“We had two failures that we've had before in the driveline,” he told RACER. “This one (the 07) is easy and it's going back together right now. The other one will take more work. We had some driveline issues in testing, so we went to stronger parts to keep them from breaking, and now they're too strong and won't absorb the torque without damaging things inside the gearbox. So we're preparing a new gearbox with a lighter input shaft and tapered driveshafts that should absorb the shock a lot better. This is a big learning experience with this program, and we're here learning as fast as we can. It's part of the process.”

Also In one of dagys Mazda articles he mentions getting a bigger restrictor, so it should have more power so hopfully they get more speed.if not we'll have two cautions repeatedly.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3350713)   #259
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
(a)The original post required knowledge that people would know Chaves hadn't been on the entry list.

(b)The fact he was turning some laps is news and is interesting.

(c)Just because you didn't have said knowledge doesn't mean you need to belittle someone else. (d)Why even comment?
(a)You're absolutely correct.
(b)Oh.
(c)'Didn't. 'Checked a mirror lately?
(d)Indeed. I did because I didn't have "said" knowledge. You?

'Nuff on this matter.

jimclark
Old 5 Jan 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3350718)   #260
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Will you lot please calm down before it ends in a slanging match. It it too early in the new year to start wielding the big stick but if you persist then I will.

Thank you in advance and a happy new year everyone
Old 6 Jan 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3350746)   #261
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Unless something changes drastically, the Mazdas won't make 6 hours. It would be a shame to see them drop out. The Deltawing always has issues. If the Ford doesn't get sorted soon we could be looking at a pretty thin P class half way through the 24. According to a friend at IMSA, a few insiders are looking to PC for a possible shot at an overall win?
I'm not saying it couldn't happen (look what Rocketsports accomplished with their tube frame Trans-Am Jaguar at the Rolex24 in 2002), but has a PC car ever finished a 24-hour endurance race?

Andy Flinn
Old 6 Jan 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3350749)   #262
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
I'm not saying it couldn't happen (look what Rocketsports accomplished with their tube frame Trans-Am Jaguar at the Rolex24 in 2002), but has a PC car ever finished a 24-hour endurance race?

Andy Flinn
I don't think one has ever raced 24 hours, but they have survived petit and sebring.and you what they say about 12 hours around sebring equals to
Old 6 Jan 2014, 00:58 (Ref:3350750)   #263
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Andy Flinn
You know the answer, considering there has not been a 24 hour race held that allowed LMPC cars to enter.

As for the Jag, when he finally tried to build an actual car, he failed miserably.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3350752)   #264
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Andy Flinn
They are very under-stressed so it wouldn't be impossible. Fuel mileage could come into play too. Not my theory, just passing it along.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3350755)   #265
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GTLM winner will beat the LMPC winner at the 24 hours of Daytona. So look for them to finish high overall. GTLM is not that much slower than LMPC lap for lap. Plus they have longer fuel mileage, all pro drivers and better tires.

I do agree about the P class having a high attrition rate potentially. I think the most reliable of the bunch happens to be the fastest too...the Corvettes. I'd be shocked if a Corvette did not win the race overall this year at this stage.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3350758)   #266
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Here's a longer video from yesterday with different views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AknxOI5J8y4
And thanks from me, too.

I am getting excited by that mix of machinery.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 01:31 (Ref:3350760)   #267
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Lanky Turtle, just watched those videos of yours twice; thanks for sharing, the scenes in the paddock in particular are favourites.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3350767)   #268
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Here's a longer video from yesterday with different views.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AknxOI5J8y4
Excellent stuff! You got a little of everything. Next time, just make sure you get Scott Pruett saying "Hi to my family at home." Not sure what else you could get.

Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you enjoyed the weekend.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3350769)   #269
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Oh dear, that thirteen minutes seemed to go by rather quickly!
Old 6 Jan 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3350783)   #270
speedkills
Rookie

speedkills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PR1 Motorsports - Lmpc with James Kovacic

Here is James Kovacic out of Australia - driving for PR1

Last time he turned a race wheel was at Mid - Ohio - 2012!!!!

Doesn't seem to have slowed him down. Same car different team.

A young Quiet Aussie driver with immense determination to win.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PR1Motors...33654116589570
Old 6 Jan 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3350785)   #271
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another comment on Lanky Turtle's video, Thanks, first off. Job well done.
I have to say, FLM livery works rather well on the R8. Also, the new Ganasty liveries look pretty cool, too.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 6 Jan 2014, 04:40 (Ref:3350787)   #272
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills View Post
A young Quiet Aussie driver with immense determination to win.
Too bad he's teamed with Drissi.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 6 Jan 2014, 04:56 (Ref:3350790)   #273
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top GTD cars in the Roar down into the 1 min 47's. Regularly in the 1 min 48's. Wow I'm impressed. This class is no joke. They are moving. The fastest 'slowest' class I've ever seen. For the race qualifying, I bet GTLM pole will be in the 44's. GTD could get into the 46's?
Old 6 Jan 2014, 06:44 (Ref:3350804)   #274
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks guys, glad you liked the videos.

In regards to the race, any of the Corvette DP's have to be the clear favorites at this point. The new Ford engine is not proving to be reliable and that is not good going into a 24 hour race.

Hopefully the Mazdas get things sorted out later in the year but right now I can only see them running slow and breaking at the 24, regardless of what performance upgrades they are allowed.

I'm really surprised to see the Oak and Muscle Milk Nissans being outperformed by the ESM HPDs, after Nissan dominated P2 at Le Mans last year, but I'm not counting out either team.

I don't think we'll really know what everyone has until qualifying, or maybe not until the green flag drops.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3350805)   #275
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Awesome,thanks for sharing.anymore footage from turn one coming off the tri oval? Crazy sense of speed you captured there, how was that spot seeing it in person?
They definitely look like they're going too fast just as they get on the brakes. And some drivers really noticeably dive bomb the turn more than others. The SoD and especially the #5 Action Express DP's , not sure who was behind the wheel at the time but all 4 brake rotors were glowing bright red and I was definitely witnessing time being made on corner entry.

Also the DeltaWing looked really fast there and locked the tires constantly before bouncing through the turn and straightening out on exit. I think that thing is suited to being pushed beyond it's limits and must be more forgiving to steering corrections than a normal car.