Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3849602)   #326
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember Ivan Capelli................
Old 12 Sep 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3849643)   #327
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ivan Capelli though joined Ferrari at the worst time. The Ferrari team today is not as bad as it was then
Old 12 Sep 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3849649)   #328
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can also add Luca Badoer and Giancarlo Fisichella to the list of Ferrari drivers who failed to impress.

I don't think Ferrari have ever taken such a risk on a driver as young, inexperienced and unproven as LeClerc......keeping Raikkonen for insurance is a wise move. By mid season they may want him back.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 16:40 (Ref:3849660)   #329
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Felipe Massa wasn’t that much more experienced than Leclerc is, and didn’t have anything like the latter’s track record in the lower formulae (think Massa won the Euro F3000 title?).
Old 12 Sep 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3849672)   #330
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Massa did benefit from a full season of Ferrari testing in between his Sauber seasons so he did build up some solid F1 experience first.

ignoring time spent in other categories, how many F1 races did Villeneuve do before he got his Ferrari seat?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3849677)   #331
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Massa did benefit from a full season of Ferrari testing in between his Sauber seasons so he did build up some solid F1 experience first.

ignoring time spent in other categories, how many F1 races did Villeneuve do before he got his Ferrari seat?
He had one race, the 1977 British GP with McLaren, before joining Ferrari that same year, for his home GP.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3849684)   #332
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autre temps, autre mœurs, though you might compare Räikkönen’s progression to Formula 1 with that of Villeneuve Sr.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3849692)   #333
littleman
Veteran

Bottom line is, if LeClerc chokes then what other "known" driver options do Ferrari have available at short notice?

A race fit Raikkonen would plug straight back in.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3849696)   #334
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm, I'm interested in why you seem so hooked on this idea that Leclerc will choke?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3849700)   #335
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess on the basis of his limited experience (14 GP starts in total to date) Driving for Ferrari is a bit more of a mental challenge than driving for Sauber.

Having said that I do not believe he will choke. But I also do not expect his 2019 performances to be better than Raikkonen's this year.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3849706)   #336
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this a thing? Do teams sign someone and work out a plan of how to replace them mid season straight off?

The measurement is being as good as Kimi, which, I’m afraid, isn’t going to be that hard. And itiseye has done enough in a short career to suggest he can be. They’ve also had him, briefly, in the car.

It’s nice to have all bases covered, but I just don’t think it’s a serious consideration.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3849707)   #337
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Is this a thing? Do teams sign someone and work out a plan of how to replace them mid season straight off?

The measurement is being as good as Kimi, which, I’m afraid, isn’t going to be that hard. And itiseye has done enough in a short career to suggest he can be. They’ve also had him, briefly, in the car.

It’s nice to have all bases covered, but I just don’t think it’s a serious consideration.
I don't think anyone's suggesting Ferrari are planning 'how' to replace Leclerc mid-season, but with the hundreds of millions of euros Ferrari (and the rest) spend each year I think it'd be daft if they didn't have a contingency for the most replaceable part of the puzzle.
Kind of like Red Bull now...
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3849708)   #338
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wasn’t saying they were trying to, or even that someone else was. I was questioning how seriously they are looking at the contingency. Obviously they aren’t and no one is suggesting they are trying to actually replace itiseye mid season at this point.

My point is that it’s just not an issue. He’s done enough for it to be very low risk. The only evidence for this is he’s signed for Sauber!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3849714)   #339
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Can someone explain the “itiseye” thing?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3849716)   #340
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'It is I, Leclerc......'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZelPcA2Dz2c
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3849717)   #341
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Sorry
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3849720)   #342
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Ah, I see. I have repressed most of my memories of ‘Allo ‘Allo...
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3849721)   #343
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
And now we've just sent you back again.... Time for some more counselling......
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3849729)   #344
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Good moaning.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3849733)   #345
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LeClerc choke probably not but if he beats his team mate once too often and the toys start to fly out of Leclerc's team mates car the other seat might become available..................
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3849821)   #346
littleman
Veteran

Raikkonen remaining at Ferrari,albeit loaned out to Sauber, seems like a win-win situation for all concerned.
He's perfect cover for either Vettel or LeClerc and at 39 years of age gets to keep doing what he's good at.

Does Raikkonen strike anybody as someone who is going to carve out a successful alternative career once he stops driving?

Can you see him moving into a media role, an ambassador for Ferrari, President of the FIA or even launching his own clothing brand? No, neither can I.

He's just a professional racing driver who gets very well paid for being good at what he does. I think Raikkonen knows that and probably doesn't want to do anything else......I'm not sure he could anyway!
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3849834)   #347
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Leclerc has the potential to be up there, certainly more than Kimi has been lately
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3849839)   #348
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Good point above. Kimi would be an able sub if Vettel or Leclerc get injured. Wonder if that is part of the deal.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3849842)   #349
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
He's just a professional racing driver who gets very well paid for being good at what he does.
And that being....

… a professional number 2 driver??

Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3849844)   #350
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Chat is Kimi isn’t Ferrari’s contractual pick so presumably will be joined by Gio??