Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2664675)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Dodgy wing mirrors banned as from China

The aero wing mirrors will be banned as from the Chinese GP in 2 weeks time, according the Autosport.

Quite surprised they've changed this during the season, but I suppose it's been done on safety grounds after some trouble with blocking etc in Australia.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82572

Good news either way, though. The cars will look slightly prettier for it

Selby
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2664683)   #2
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good! A step in the right direction.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2664686)   #3
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
April Fool
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2664688)   #4
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm dubious... it's April 1st and I've not seen this story carried on any other website.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2664690)   #5
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport is pretty legit. The teams were talking about this at the Aussie GP so I very much doubt it's an April Fool's.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2664692)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Isn't it a bit too plausible to be an April fool? Usually there needs to be some sort of surprise element but a change in the position of the wing mirrors seems inevitable.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2664693)   #7
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, Autosport, and the story is too serious to be a joke, although I have been caught this morning already.

John
Old 1 Apr 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2664697)   #8
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah but arnt the best jokes the ones with an element of realism???

i agree the mirrors positions are a joke in them selves, but I have not seen this story any where else
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2664711)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82576

Looks a bit more kosher now.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2664715)   #10
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly a good April fool if it was one. They're supposed to try and trick you into believing something silly.

It's a good idea anyway, the drivers needs to see each other to race properly.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2664717)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I did think for a moment "is this legit?" but as mentioned above, I think there's ment to be a bit more of a swerve involved. I don't really see Autosport as the type to bother

Selby
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2664725)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
This is the best April fools joke I've seen today.

Old 1 Apr 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2664759)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I have been saying it for years, they should have rear vision tests with the mirrors. The mirrors should be of a sufficient size to be able to see around the rear of the car. I am glad something is finally being done about it, though its probably 4 years too late.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2664764)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They do have vision tests IIRC, but they're not that stringent (reading letters form boards behind the car).
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2664834)   #15
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

Mr. Lirpa Loof has been hired as a technical advisor to the FIA on this issue and will be the person tasked with determining whether or not each mirror complies with the new guidelines.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2664840)   #16
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

Seriously now.

Isnt it time that F1 got rid of these useless mirrors altogether and replaced them with a small colour LCD screen in the cockpit linked to a miniture camera on the rear of each car? Same camera could be used as an on-board for TV. I think drivers would prefer a clear view of behind them to be displayed in their field of vision. And the technology exists to do this very easily at minimal cost.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2664841)   #17
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Mr. Lirpa Loof has been hired as a technical advisor to the FIA on this issue and will be the person tasked with determining whether or not each mirror complies with the new guidelines.
That's a bit backwards.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2664843)   #18
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seriously now.

Isnt it time that F1 got rid of these useless mirrors altogether and replaced them with a small colour LCD screen in the cockpit linked to a miniture camera on the rear of each car? Same camera could be used as an on-board for TV. I think drivers would prefer a clear view of behind them to be displayed in their field of vision. And the technology exists to do this very easily at minimal cost.
HD cameras please!
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2664854)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Not funny => not a joke
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2664866)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Isnt it time that F1 got rid of these useless mirrors altogether and replaced them with a small colour LCD screen in the cockpit linked to a miniture camera on the rear of each car?
The drivers not only need to see who is behind them, but who is alongside. Your solution would not necessarily have prevented the first-corner accident in Australia where Alonso turned in, seemingly unaware of the McLaren to his right.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2664869)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
It seems this story is actually true given that it is still on Autosport's front page at 4pm and is also mentioned in the article about Vettel's reliability.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2664926)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The rule makers are partly to blame for this.

Ever since 1995 (and before) the rules have been gradually hiding the driver vision line behind more and more carbon fibre. Senna's death triggered some of that - we then saw raised cockpit sides, then I think Verstappen's Spa incident and Hakkinen's crash at Oz put more measures in place for cockpit protection. Then to 2007? when Wurz was launched over Coulthard's nose and nearly caused a potentially horrible accident, things were closed up more there around the cockpit. So in essense, its the constant safety updates which have put the drivers in a difficult position when it comes to wheel to wheel battles.

If you look at footage from pre-1994, its amazing how much of the driver you can see.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2664932)   #23
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
The drivers not only need to see who is behind them, but who is alongside. Your solution would not necessarily have prevented the first-corner accident in Australia where Alonso turned in, seemingly unaware of the McLaren to his right.
Would a wide view camera on each wing solve this? Split screen LCD display - like something you see in some computer games.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2664940)   #24
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If you look at footage from pre-1994, its amazing how much of the driver you can see.
Adrian Newey's designs from the early 1990's are terrifying to look at now. Some of them, the cockpit only came half way up their arm!
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2664950)   #25
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
While I'm not trying to disparage the skill set of an F1 driver, maybe part of the problem is some drivers inability to effectively USE the mirrors they have and their inability to do anything but look forward, as if they could actually overtake someone.

I find it hard to believe that for example, Alonso needed Ferrari to warn him over the radio that Lewis was 3 seconds behind him. Maybe F1 drivers need to spend a year behind the wheel of a lorry where side view mirrors are all you got. Do that for a number of years and you get used to CONSTANTLY using the side mirrors to avoid SURPRISES!
Closed Thread