Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1982465)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Difference between RBR and STR ???

Can someone please explain me the difference between Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso ? They have the same tyres. As for the engine, STR's is probably better. And as for the chassis, everyone can see that they are identical.

Why is there such a difference in performance between the two teams some week-ends and in other races their performances are almost identical?
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1982479)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The on-track engineers, mechanics etc seem to be making the difference. RBR are coming to the tracks massively more prepared to their sister squad, getting the setup and balance closer and reacting to the conditions better. The drivers being more experienced will be having an effect as well, but can you think of any technical appointments that are being made to STR's race squad?
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1982484)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Considering the potential of the car as seen by the Red Bull team, Toro Rosso have been performing poorly.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1982507)   #4
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red bull have more money and competent management...
Old 6 Aug 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1982563)   #5
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The drivers are more experienced. DC is great at setting up cars, he knows what a "good car" feels like and he helps them develop the car closer to a McLaren.

As for MW, he is an unknown, he hasn't driven for a top team, even though we'd all like to think of Williams being a top team, he hasn't really proved that he can cut it with the big boys. His qualifying efforts are good but he just can't get it carried over to the race, his podiums are more out of retirements by others than sheer pace. DC can somehow qualify badly but get his race setup right.

The STR guys are still Minardi at heart, still a small team with big hearts and struggle to develop the car. I don't see why Berger doesn't do some development of the car himself? He was a fast consistent racer not that long ago.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1982747)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, they are using the engine the car was designed to take - everything has be modified for the STR to take the Ferrari unit. They might get some updates later as well.

The biggest differences are the lack of quality people at STR - on the technical and managerial sides they seem less organised and capable than RBR. Add the lack of an experienced driver (and the common suspicion that Liuzzi and Speed have both underperformer) and the gap is explained.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1982771)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all true, but how low on power are customer ferrair engines?
you may think the STR and Spyker ferrari (you'd think they would want BMW...) would post higher straight line speeds...
look at how Superaguri embarrasses Honda Factory every week this year (Go Taku!)
With all things being equal would RBR share some info with STR?
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1982782)   #8
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Can someone please explain me the difference between Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso ? They have the same tyres. As for the engine, STR's is probably better. And as for the chassis, everyone can see that they are identical.

Why is there such a difference in performance between the two teams some week-ends and in other races their performances are almost identical?
With Renault engines in the Red Bull's and Ferrari engines in the Toro's its an interesting experiment since the chassis' are virtually identical.

As for differences in their performance, who knows.. All thats really left is the drivers and their competency, the aero set ups on the cars for the weekend, the strategy and the order in which they run their tyres... Given what they've had done to them over the last 12 months and with the hiring of Newey I would have expected to see the Toros being in amongst the solid midfield and the Bull's somewhere near the front of the midfield getting consistent 3rds and 4ths by now..
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1982789)   #9
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you believe this article, STR doesn't put any pressure on it's drivers.

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...07/8/6575.html

Last edited by porsche45; 6 Aug 2007 at 19:35.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1982810)   #10
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from the engine differences -

While the underlying basics of the STR and the RBR are the same, they are not running the same spec. RBR tests any new bits Newey's folks comes up with, and when they find something that is a "go", the first rounds of race parts/spares go to the RBR team.

STR does not really test new components, they just given the new bits that are developed through RBR tests. In the end, this basically equates to the STR chassis to being about 2-3 months behind the RBR (specifically in aero treatment and suspension components). In some cases, like the seamless-shift gearbox, the STR is more than 2-3 months back - not necessarily a bad thing in that case when it comes to reliability, although Liuzzi may not agree
Old 6 Aug 2007, 22:58 (Ref:1982978)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RBR is a decent team who can win races at some stage.

STR is a crappy team that won't ever go anywhere.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 01:50 (Ref:1983037)   #12
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
Given what they've had done to them over the last 12 months and with the hiring of Newey I would have expected to see the Toros being in amongst the solid midfield and the Bull's somewhere near the front of the midfield getting consistent 3rds and 4ths by now..
Consistent 3rd's and 4th's are high targets for even BMW. Ferrari and McLaren's reliability is simply too high these days.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 02:07 (Ref:1983042)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From things I had heard on here and from guys having attended races, the two chassis actually looked markedly different in a few areas. Plus from all reports the team managers and race engineers just don't really have the necessary level of experience to operate without the testing hours needed to show up and know immediately how to adjust the car to the conditions. Basically to me it sounds like a good way for a guy who loves all things mechanical to burn through some cash. I know its prob cheaper to share and a good investment IF the customer car thing goes through, but if it doesn't they are pretty much screwed.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 06:02 (Ref:1983103)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
all true, but how low on power are customer ferrair engines?
you may think the STR and Spyker ferrari (you'd think they would want BMW...) would post higher straight line speeds...
look at how Superaguri embarrasses Honda Factory every week this year (Go Taku!)
With all things being equal would RBR share some info with STR?
There is no difference in power between Ferrari's own and the customer engines, every manufacurer had to send an engine to the FIA last year for inspection and that is the engine configuration that they will have to use, there are no upgrades possible, it's not only the engine that makes the top speed, it's also the aerodynamic efficiency(drag) and the mechanical grip(if you have higher levels of mechanical grip you will need less wing=less drag)

Last edited by steve nielsen; 7 Aug 2007 at 06:04.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 06:15 (Ref:1983111)   #15
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr

His qualifying efforts are good but he just can't get it carried over to the race, his podiums are more out of retirements by others than sheer pace. DC can somehow qualify badly but get his race setup right.
ot I know but I cant let that pass! Webber is giving DC a pasting at the moment - race pace included. Have a look at the last two races - not just where they start and finish, but lap by lap - chalk and cheese.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 07:06 (Ref:1983141)   #16
McKendrick
Rookie

England
London
McKendrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkiman
RBR is a decent team who can win races at some stage.

STR is a crappy team that won't ever go anywhere.
STR was solely purchased to get the redbull backed drivers a drive while getting good development drivers to get RBR towards the front of the grid. I think the plan was once this had happened to get one of the Red bull backed drivers into the seat again.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1983143)   #17
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Well that was the plan as of 2005. I think many expected either of Liuzzi or Speed to be at RBR by now. RBR have confirmed their 2008 drivers, and if everything stays rosey i would think Webber would still want to stay around past that. Coulthard too if the team still want him and he's still on form.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1983170)   #18
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Vettel lives up to his promise, I'd have my money on Webber/Vettel at RBR in 2009.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1983413)   #19
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what i read Bourdais will be announced as the other STR driver for 08 on wednesday

Last edited by flor; 7 Aug 2007 at 13:26.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1983430)   #20
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
The drivers are more experienced. DC is great at setting up cars, he knows what a "good car" feels like and he helps them develop the car closer to a McLaren.
Where'd you get that idea?
Old 7 Aug 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1983440)   #21
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
I think its more important that DC has a good, long working history with Newey.