Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3265948)   #251
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Most of my Le Mans have been dominated by the Audi steamroller. I don't feel much affection for them, (unlike Porsche for example who at least sold 917s and 956s/962 to private customers), but I do have huge respect for what they have accomplished. They have been consistently the best organised and most professional team year after year and have won with both the quickest cars, but also with slower cars. I would prefer a Toyota (or even a Rebellion) win, but if I were a betting man I would never bet against Audi.

That said, 24 hours is a long time, anything can happen, especially when you throw in variable weather.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3265949)   #252
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What areas of the track have been resurfaced this year?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3265951)   #253
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Forgot to say, I also think the GTE will be a closer race than others seem to think. Just over a second covers 4 cars and 3 marques in GTE Pro, similar in GTE Am. Wouldn't want to try and call either of those. As ever with Le Mans, you begin to a real picture of race pace after about an hour or so.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3265984)   #254
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
What areas of the track have been resurfaced this year?
None. chernaudi made that up

McNish did say that grip has improved on the Mulsanne's straight, which was resurfaced in 2012. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tte3EcMz180#t=5m07
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3265985)   #255
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Problem with that is that between the track being resurfaced again in some areas and improvements being made to the cars and tires, you'd expect that those evolutions would at least keep them at the same speed.

But as mentioned, only Audi really significantly picked up over last year, but even that wasn't to the degree expected. They were 1.5 seconds faster than in Q last year, but it was thought that they'd go another 2-3 seconds faster than that. Other than that, everyone else either went slower than last year, or stayed about the same as last year. I'm thinking maybe a lack of track time as opposed to just the green track.
in my opinion, audi are about 3 seconds faster than last year. conditions were worse than last year in qualifying (obviously, as you mentioned, all cars were slower or at the same pace as last year, except for audi - toyota, who have been faster on all other tracks than last year, can't suddenly be 2 seconds off their own pace last year at LM), and even so, if toyota would have gone faster, i think audi would have as well. just looking at the top speeds, the r18s only went 327 km/h in qualifying, which is not only slower than the previous years (now, with the long-tail), but also slower than the test day. there's definitely more power in the r18, if needed. but they surely don't want to show more pace than what they need in order to have numbers on their side against toyota. no need for other bop changes in the future, as far as they're concerned.

Last edited by sssssssss; 21 Jun 2013 at 10:12.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3266007)   #256
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Forgive me if I have totally missed this as I am late to the party, but why no BMW GT cars this year?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3266008)   #257
James C.
Rookie

France
Paris, France
James C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Forgive me if I have totally missed this as I am late to the party, but why no BMW GT cars this year?
Because BMW simply don't want to race at Le Mans... The Z4 GTE cars were made only to race in North America.

But in the other hand, so was the M3 GT2 at the time, so maybe next year... ?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3266031)   #258
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just saw the Eurosport coverage of the 2nd qauly practice session and apparently the Corvette's simply don't have anywere near the pace and they have no idea what is wrong. They quoted TOmmy Milner saying they were slow in the straights, slow in the corners, and simply havent made the jump in pace that all the other cars made between the Test Day and race week... Thats sad because I think they had just gotten BOP turned against them between the Test Day and Race week when it turns out they were the only car that wasnt sandbagging in GT.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3266069)   #259
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Any update on what happened to the #76 Matmut Porsche at the 1st chicane last night?

Seemed that both the back wheels had just fallen off?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3266168)   #260
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone got any info on the 20 cars being demoted because of the 110% rule? I think Strakka was one of them... pretty harsh considering the short sessions
Old 21 Jun 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3266186)   #261
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I just saw the Eurosport coverage of the 2nd qauly practice session and apparently the Corvette's simply don't have anywere near the pace and they have no idea what is wrong. They quoted TOmmy Milner saying they were slow in the straights, slow in the corners, and simply havent made the jump in pace that all the other cars made between the Test Day and race week... Thats sad because I think they had just gotten BOP turned against them between the Test Day and Race week when it turns out they were the only car that wasnt sandbagging in GT.
Grand Am removed the BOP from the Corvette Daytona prototypes pretty much the day of the Daytona 24 after it became obvious they were really off the pace.

Wonder if they will do the same thing here.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3266193)   #262
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Grand Am removed the BOP from the Corvette Daytona prototypes pretty much the day of the Daytona 24 after it became obvious they were really off the pace.

Wonder if they will do the same thing here.
I can't imagine they would. These cars are pretty much the same ones that ran last year at a faster clip. I think Corvette will get this working during the race.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3266194)   #263
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Anyone got any info on the 20 cars being demoted because of the 110% rule? I think Strakka was one of them... pretty harsh considering the short sessions
The starting grid is here, but there aren't any notes regarding cars being demoted.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3266203)   #264
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The starting grid is here, but there aren't any notes regarding cars being demoted.
Actually take a further look at the starting grid, joeb.

It has Strakka on row 18 and it looks like every car from Strakka on back has been demoted (look at the lap times).
Old 21 Jun 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3266204)   #265
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Ant getting the highest position Toyota ..... Hope the 8 team can convert it into a well placed position at the end of the 24.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3266208)   #266
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can't imagine they would. These cars are pretty much the same ones that ran last year at a faster clip. I think Corvette will get this working during the race.
It seems the BOP shifts around the teams over time. Based on times so far, it seems it's tipped in favor of AM and the Vipers, and away from the Corvettes.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3266242)   #267
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
None. chernaudi made that up

McNish did say that grip has improved on the Mulsanne's straight, which was resurfaced in 2012. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tte3EcMz180#t=5m07
No, actually, what's what I mean. McNish said that over the winter the asphalt cured, so they don't have to deal with the oil residue that made the chicanes difficult last year.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3266244)   #268
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm told 20 or 21 cars have been 'demoted' for one or more drivers not meeting the 110% of the class fastest time, Strakka being the fastest of those - Leventis having failed to achieve the 110%.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3266264)   #269
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes the grid line up is a little odd!
No full explanation on the sites yet?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3266269)   #270
Chris Draper
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, AZ
Chris Draper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember, the American teams like Corvette and Viper are using the new 2013 Michelin tires for the first time, and still haven't gotten hardly any solid data due to the weather and red flags. The WEC teams got to use these tires for the 6hrs of SPA so they have a lot of running on them.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3266284)   #271
gregtummer
Veteran

12 Hours until race time!
Old 22 Jun 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3266320)   #272
gregtummer
Veteran

Morning warmup!
Old 22 Jun 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3266324)   #273
gregtummer
Veteran

Track is dry right now, but there are clouds overhead.

Polesitting Audi already a 3:26.769 on his 2nd lap!
Old 22 Jun 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3266325)   #274
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been looking all over for this thread, I was about to strt one.i didn't see it pinned up top.opps.well I'm about to go to sleep here in Cali, hope for an ok race.umfortunatly there has been a family emergency this weekend, so it's going to be a long day. I hope you guys enjoy the race.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3266328)   #275
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I've been looking all over for this thread, I was about to strt one.i didn't see it pinned up top.opps.well I'm about to go to sleep here in Cali, hope for an ok race.umfortunatly there has been a family emergency this weekend, so it's going to be a long day. I hope you guys enjoy the race.
Hope everything is okay and you can catch some of the race!