Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:22 (Ref:1959446)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Who will replace Albers?

Albers out,it's official.So who'll replace him.Oh and let's be sensible about this.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1959450)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours have it that Christian Klien(yes, the same first name) will test at Spa for Spyker this week.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1959461)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Klien would surprise me considering his Honda commitments. One of their test drivers such as Markus Winkelhock seems more likely.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1959474)   #4
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klien might not be a bad choice though...
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1959478)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Oh and let's be sensible about this.

Damn.

That counts me out then.

Spoilsport.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1959481)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'll be either the Dutch or the Canadian JV.

Quote:
Oh and let's be sensible about this
Oh ok then
Old 10 Jul 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1959519)   #7
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they were smart they would get someone with good testing experience to try and improve the car, and perhaps the name can get some money to the team as well.

If he wasn't under contract, De La Rosa could bring some Repsol money in and fit the bill...

I think Klien or Timo Glock will be in there though.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1959522)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This thread made me think- when will F1 ever have a year with no driver changes?!

I seem to recall 1996 seemed as though it was going that way until someone in one of the back teams got replaced about halfway through the season, whereas 1994 for instance had crazy amounts of driver changes, relative to the amount of teams.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1959526)   #9
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
It'll be either the Dutch or the Canadian JV.

Oh ok then
its all about the money!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1959551)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP

I think Klien or Timo Glock will be in there though.
I'm hoping it's Klien. Surely, should Glock race for Spyker, it would ruin his chances of winning the GP2 title? (i.e, if he's racing in F1, he can't be racing in GP2)
Old 10 Jul 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1959552)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I heard Greg Mansell is in the frame. Sutil has booked himself in for some self-defence classes already.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1959605)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Klien would surprise me considering his Honda commitments. One of their test drivers such as Markus Winkelhock seems more likely.
If Spyker tends to honour their testdrivers as they did with Sutil, then Markus is the obvious choice.
Alas, is van der Garde on that frame too.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1959611)   #13
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Chewie-1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chritian Klien it is guys, its as close to confirmed as it possibly can be

http://www.forix.com/8w/6thgear/f107.html

Look under Spyker, this site was first to report Viso/Carroll in GP2 so its pretty certain this is also correct
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1959612)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
This thread made me think- when will F1 ever have a year with no driver changes?!

I seem to recall 1996 seemed as though it was going that way until someone in one of the back teams got replaced about halfway through the season, whereas 1994 for instance had crazy amounts of driver changes, relative to the amount of teams.
2000 was a year with almost no driver changes: just Burti subbed Irvine for a couple of races and the rest remained the same all season.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1959627)   #15
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klien and also Narain Karthikeyan are under consideration according to Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60692

I've also heard Marc Gene mentioned.

Last edited by nycuk; 10 Jul 2007 at 13:02.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1959630)   #16
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Surely, should Glock race for Spyker, it would ruin his chances of winning the GP2 title? (i.e, if he's racing in F1, he can't be racing in GP2)
It could still be possible for Glock to do both - Jean Alesi drove the second half of the 1989 F1 season for Tyrrell and still managed to win the F3000 title. I think he missed two GP's, Johnny Herbert subbed for him on each occasion.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1959633)   #17
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Yes, but they say Klien is more likely for the drive (they were right) and Karthikeyan may sub for Viso in GP2 instead, Marc Gene was also previously rumoured
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1959635)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

If Glock goes to F1, I think he'll have to drop the GP2 because it would otherwise be too busy a weekend for him to participate in all the team meetings etc.

Quote:
Surely, should Glock race for Spyker, it would ruin his chances of winning the GP2 title?
Well, I guess if he does race for them he figures it's a good enough foot in the F1 door for that to stand him in stead for a drive next year instead of winning the GP2 title.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:04 (Ref:1959638)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I can't see any GP2 driver turning down a half-season in F1, whether they were battling for the GP2 title or not.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1959675)   #20
nycuk
Veteran

England
I'm assuming that Klien has a clause in his Honda contract that says he can accept an F1 drive, should one become available (obviously looking like it's now the case). Any ideas on who might take over test / reserve duties for Honda? Messres Blundell and Brundle where very close to getting Gary Paffet in there before they went for Klien...
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:42 (Ref:1959679)   #21
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spyker fired Albers because his sponsor didn't pay on time. So his successor clearly will be a pay driver - the one who can pay the largest sum up front in cash. There surely is somebody who could do that, but he might not be the obvious choice. And if nobody steps in with a big cheque, one of their test and reserve drivers probably gets the nod until the big bucks pay driver is found.
So for Winkelhock and Fauzy, it's a question of how much more their sponsors are willing to pay than they already do. Is Viso allowed to drive again after his Magny-Cours shunt and having to sit out Silverstone? And does Super Aguri still block Van Der Garde from getting his superlicense?
The money of experienced test drivers for other teams surely is tied within those teams, for example, Karthikeyan at Williams, so that is rather unlikely. www.motorsport-total.com reports that Klien's dad and manager says they haven't been contacted by Spyker. Maybe Nelsinho would want to try out the Spyker now that he's been trying to talk himself into an F1 drive for the last few weeks?
Anyway, joining Spyker at this point would mean having to face Sutil as your team mate, who surely is strong competition and deserves a better car ASAP.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1959680)   #22
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like Bruno Senna to get it in the last two races in the season. I think Klien will get it for the first four races.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1959689)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone with money. Spyker need cash.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1959701)   #24
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
Is Viso allowed to drive again after his Magny-Cours shunt and having to sit out Silverstone?
I think a decision is yet to be made, but Karthikeyan may get his seat:

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~150941.htm
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:19 (Ref:1959710)   #25
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
Spyker fired Albers because his sponsor didn't pay on time. So his successor clearly will be a pay driver - the one who can pay the largest sum up front in cash. There surely is somebody who could do that, but he might not be the obvious choice.
Exactly! That's the bottom line. Albers' being sacked had nothing to do with results, just the fact that a check never arrived. Who has the biggest budget?