Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1975036)   #26
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he's talented enough to just spend a year at STR. Keep his head down and bang in some consistant performances and he'll get picked up by a bigger team be it RBR, BMW or perhaps Renault. I definitely don't think he is considering STR for a career.

Once he's had a good few years in F1, be they successful or not, he can consider other options. NASCAR may very well be one of them.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1975037)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would the recent troubles with STR put Bourdais off joining them as well?

Would you want to join STR in Bourdais' position? F1 isn't everything after all.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1975050)   #28
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is a safe bet he would love a run in F1 (he seemed to have previously more or less accepted it was very unlikely, but that would surely make a real possibility all the more alluring).

If he is offered a drive at STR...is he really going to turn it down?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 23:18 (Ref:1975056)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

If he is offered a drive at STR...is he really going to turn it down?
All the other Champcar drivers will be secretly praying that he doesn't.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:06 (Ref:1975098)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Would the recent troubles with STR put Bourdais off joining them as well?

Would you want to join STR in Bourdais' position? F1 isn't everything after all.

Yes and no...
Old 28 Jul 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1975391)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm ,just looking in this weeks Autosport (I read it later every week it seems).

This is from a Bourdais interview:

You regard this as your last chance to make the switch (to F1 with Toro Rosso)?
"Yeah, really. If I don't do it now I never will. The only other thing that would stop me from doing this is NASCAR but no one's approached me to do that, and I haven't actually shopped around for a drive there, either. It's all if, if, if."
Old 28 Jul 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1975413)   #32
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When does STR`s option on him run out, isn`t it the end of July?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1975492)   #33
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does STR sign Bourdais -- the clock is Ticking

STR has until the end of the month to say yes to Bourdais -- but at this moment they still haven't done it!!! --- So what do you think -- Do they sign him or let the clock run out.

My vote is --- Yes --- they do sign him.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 00:49 (Ref:1975514)   #34
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think we can be 99% certain that he is going to drive for STR next year.

Why would STR not use their option?
Old 29 Jul 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1975586)   #35
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations

One day an incandescence lightbulb shot a happy carrot. It was quite the talk of cabbage patch that winter. Happy days for all.

Last edited by Dutton; 29 Jul 2007 at 07:18.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 07:15 (Ref:1975588)   #36
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I have assumed this as a "done deal" for a fair while now.

I will be very surprised if he does not drive for them.

It is ultimately good for both parties, IMO, thus it will occur (both sides have said as much as they can in pointing in that direction).

Last edited by Dutton; 29 Jul 2007 at 07:18.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1975590)   #37
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would also say that he has been signed for at least a few weeks now.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1975593)   #38
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quite possible.

I have noticed a typo in a previous post. That is quite irritating. Oh, well.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1975657)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

I have noticed a typo in a previous post. That is quite irritating. Oh, well.
hmmm....quite illuminating.

Bourdais will be mad not to sign for Red Bull,unless he feels that he needs yet more Champcar titles.Or has an unhealthy desire to just turn left.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1975924)   #40
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Bourdais doesn't jump to F1 for next season, then it will pass him by. While it would be a great loss for ChampCar, Bourdais could turn some heads in Formula One if he gets some testing under his belt.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1975944)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Not in that car he won't..Just my two cents.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 00:18 (Ref:1976035)   #42
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
I'm beginning to wonder if Dietrich Mateschitz has looked at the situation and decided that clearly this whole thing was the fault of Franz Tost and that if they were going to bounce Speed, then Red Bull would say goodbye as a sponser. After all, do you want to be on the side of an individual who assaults someone? Especially when the assaulter is a team owner. That would be lining up with the bad guy in this situation. The fact that Speed told the press what happened has, I believe has been extremely damaging to Tost. -- Now Paddock talk is calling for the firing of Franz Tost and I think they're right. They should get rid of Tost regardless of what they do with Speed and Liuzzi. Here's the link --
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=61624

Last edited by Bluewolf; 30 Jul 2007 at 00:25.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1976063)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A further complication is that, according to the announcing crew for today's CC race, Newman/Haas/Lanigan (Bourdais' team) has entered into an agreement with a NASCAR team (can't recall which at the moment - I think they said Robert Yates Racing) that might allow SB to go to NASCAR.

Not sure what, if any significance there is to this but it is an interesting twist.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1976127)   #44
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, he's probably better off in NASCAR than in STR. As I mentioned earlier, Bourdais' attitude and ego will not do him any favours somewhere like STR. He'll go from king of the hill in the US to vying with young blood and also rans at the rear of the grid. Its the wrong place and at the wrong time in his career.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1976236)   #45
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
To be honest, he's probably better off in NASCAR than in STR. As I mentioned earlier, Bourdais' attitude and ego will not do him any favours somewhere like STR. He'll go from king of the hill in the US to vying with young blood and also rans at the rear of the grid. Its the wrong place and at the wrong time in his career.
I'm sure Bourdais wants to be seen as one of the greatest racing drivers in the world. And he know's that's impossible unless he goes to F1 and is successful there -- So -- a 1 year deal at STR -- run much quicker than he's supposed to in that pile of junk -- and get to another team in '09. Then start a serious bid for the title. If you want to be seen as one of the greatest drivers in the world you have to race against them. The most gifted drivers in the world are in F1. Nothing else even comes close. He can win 10 champ car titles and it will mean little at best to the worldwide fans of open wheeled racing.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1976241)   #46
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The only problem with your theory Bluewolf, is that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that SB will ever get a seat with a team that could challenge for the WDC. There are only 6 seats in F1 that can provide that possibility and he is nowhere near good enough for any of them.

To be honest, IF he goes to STR and drives the wheels off the thing he will still find it difficult to get a ride with a team that could challenge for a podium, let alone win let alone the WDC.

You have young guys like Sutil, Vettel, Kubica, Heiki, that Hamilton fella, etc all either in line for a top seat or already in one who are way quicker than SB ever was or will be.

I really do hope he catches on in F1, but his chance to climb the ladder to a top team is way past him.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1976256)   #47
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's pretty obvious what the plan is surely? STR for 2008, with the opportunity of moving to the Red Bull main team in 09?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1976322)   #48
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
The only problem with your theory Bluewolf, is that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that SB will ever get a seat with a team that could challenge for the WDC. There are only 6 seats in F1 that can provide that possibility and he is nowhere near good enough for any of them.

To be honest, IF he goes to STR and drives the wheels off the thing he will still find it difficult to get a ride with a team that could challenge for a podium, let alone win let alone the WDC.

You have young guys like Sutil, Vettel, Kubica, Heiki, that Hamilton fella, etc all either in line for a top seat or already in one who are way quicker than SB ever was or will be.

I really do hope he catches on in F1, but his chance to climb the ladder to a top team is way past him.
You're absolutely right John. Its people like Sutil, Vettel, Kubica, Heiki and Hamilton [and a whole host of other kids] that he's competing against for top seats. The F1 paddock's a fickle place and they'd rather put a 20 year old from WSR or GP2 in a seat than someone who has spent the last few years 'out of the scene' in Champcar in the US. Its extremely rare that people come from single seater racing in America to success in F1. More often than not the progression's been the other way.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1976344)   #49
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It shows you what a mess F1 is in now. There is a total lock out on the podium places by two / three teams. Even manufacturers employing 1000+ people can't make it there. To me there is no point SB even bothering to come over if all that is on offer is a back of the grid team. The winning teams have their favoured drivers and i would be very surprised if he could make an enough of an impression with STR to move to a better team. He is clearly a very good driver but for whatever reason, probably financial, his face didn't fit. He would be better to get himself on the Nascar Gravy train and make his fortune.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1976499)   #50
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
To me there is no point SB even bothering to come over if all that is on offer is a back of the grid team. The winning teams have their favoured drivers and i would be very surprised if he could make an enough of an impression with STR to move to a better team. He is clearly a very good driver but for whatever reason, probably financial, his face didn't fit. He would be better to get himself on the Nascar Gravy train and make his fortune.
I take your point that Bourdais is taking a significant risk in entering F1 with Toro Rosso for the chances of him making the move work are slim. That said, given F1's continued focus on youth will probably minimise any future chances. Therefore, for a driver that has long aspired to racing in F1, Toro Rosso may be the only opporunity to give it a go. I guess that if it doesn't work out Bourdais will still have a reputation in the US to move back into American single seaters or maybe NASCAR.