Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1976516)   #51
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I believe starting next year they are going to allow customer cars right? If that's accurate it will certainly tighten up the field -- Then there's money - I can't believe that Honda and Toyoya won't become more competitive in the next few years as they have probably more money than any other teams. Coulthard is gone after next year -- Probably Barrichello and Fisi too -- there will be spots that will open up. I think Bourdais may still have a chance to get to F1 and move forward -- Personally I hope Speed keeps his seat and that if anyone leaves STR it's Tost. As wierd as it may sound if Scott finishes the year with a better record than Liuzzi, it may be Bourdais and Speed next year.

All this being said it's very very strange that here we with only one day left before the end of the month which is when STR's option on Bourdais will run out -- At this point I'm beginning to think it's a moot point and that STR is not going to sign Bourdais.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 30 Jul 2007 at 17:10.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1976762)   #52
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I can't believe that Honda and Toyoya won't become more competitive in the next few years as they have probably more money than any other teams.
This is an opinion expressed by just about every poster on this forum for the last several years!!

I don't think it will happen now. I am sure Seb has noticed the dissension in the team, this only multiplies the risk. I am sure he would want certain guarantees from STR, which would never happen.
As the following story relates, his McDonalds connections,combined with the merger with Robert Yates Racing just announced, makes a NASCAR move more likely.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19464.html

Now watch them prove me wrong!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1976792)   #53
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think you are right SB will go to NASCAR at the end of the day, and give F1 a miss..
Old 31 Jul 2007, 04:21 (Ref:1976850)   #54
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Fair enough choice, of course, either way.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:28 (Ref:1977417)   #55
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The STR option runs out today, yes? Any news?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1977448)   #56
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If STR have Renault next year, wouldn't that make SeaBass a cert? Doesn't the Red Bull / Ferrari deal run out at the end of this year?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1977453)   #57
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
If STR have Renault next year, wouldn't that make SeaBass a cert? Doesn't the Red Bull / Ferrari deal run out at the end of this year?
I do seem to remember something about the Ferrari contract being for two years. That said, I would imagine that Red Bull would wish to keep the Renault engines unless something better was on offer. Given that the team has tried Ferrari engines, Mercedes don't seem to inclined to supply a second team and Toyota are commited to Willliams an improvement on Renault units is unlikely. Therefore I would imagine that Toro Rosso would be left to do a new deal with Ferrari.

If Toro Rosso do end up with Renault units, I doubt that would signficantly help Bourdais's course given that the Renault works team hasn't been overly concerned with promoting French drivers of late.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1978289)   #58
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The deadline has passed, and now Bourdais says he can talk to other teams (as well as STR).
I always thought he was a shoe-in for 2008, but now I think he is having second thoughts (for all the reasons given in the previous posts).
I'd love to see him in F1, but now I agree that Nascar is probably his best option.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1978295)   #59
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He will make more money and be able to extend his career longer in Nascar than he would if he got a chance in F1.
Frankly there is to much emphasis on F1 here in Europe. There is a big world out there and it extends further than the in and out doors of F1. With only 20+ seats in F1, drivers need other sustainable career options as F1 seats are as rare as the proverbial Rocking Horse ****.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 1 Aug 2007 at 17:24.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1981661)   #60
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't NASCAR put the dampers on a (probably lucrative) annual outing with Peugeot at Le Mans? He does have a love for the place, after all.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 22:19 (Ref:1982946)   #61
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 would more than likely stop him doing that too. The Le Mans 24 Hours occurred during a Grand Prix weekend this year for instance.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1985373)   #62
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais confirmed at Toro Rosso

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61468
Old 10 Aug 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1985411)   #63
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So, he is now sort of red bull teammate to Robert Doornbos?
Old 10 Aug 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1985447)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
You could hear the collective sigh of relief from the other Champcar drivers even from here.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1985453)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Oh no,I've just realised! Another glasses wearing,French speaking bloke.AAARRRGGGHHH!

French GP should do well at any rate.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1985542)   #66
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
It shows you what a mess F1 is in now. There is a total lock out on the podium places by two / three teams.
But 2 years ago Renault was in those two/three and Ferrari was a shambles, and 3 years ago BAR/Honda Racing Team was in those two/three and McLaren was a shambles. So it is not that simple!!!

[And 5 years ago Williams was in there, but of course they have been a shambles ever since!]
Old 10 Aug 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1985656)   #67
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, great to get the confirmation.

I am totally made up for the guy. For so long it seemed like he had missed his chance, but here he is, albeit with a less-than-stellar team, confirmed for the 2008 season.

I'll be willing him on in 2008.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1985666)   #68
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
You could hear the collective sigh of relief from the other Champcar drivers even from here.

Old 11 Aug 2007, 02:36 (Ref:1985886)   #69
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I can't say I am delighted to hear this news..I was wrong I thought he would decide not to go there..I think he is a very talented driver, lets hope this is a positive career move for him..
Old 11 Aug 2007, 05:30 (Ref:1985914)   #70
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I can't say I am delighted to hear this news..I was wrong I thought he would decide not to go there..I think he is a very talented driver, lets hope this is a positive career move for him..
Agree Jeremy. This marraige has all the ingredients for a divorce.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1985996)   #71
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The previous suitors did not do so well, did they? Fairly slow and unreliable car, with a lot of drama originating from the Berger/Tost combination.

I agree with davyboy and JeremySmith - this has the makings of a divorce built in. I know this may be his only chance to get into F1, but perhaps it will show, ultimately why it is better to go to a better team initially.

At first I thought this might not be a bad deal for him (when he started testing way back when) but watching the team implode during the season and seeing how Tonio and Speed were/are treated raised huge red flags for me.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1986019)   #72
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some comments from Liuzzi on loosing his drive.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61489
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1986103)   #73
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange that he chose not to mention the fact he underperformed totally as well.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1986111)   #74
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or that he is averagely talented at best.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1986129)   #75
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Strange that he chose not to mention the fact he underperformed totally as well.
So is the car...