Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1974703)   #1
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most overtakes in one lap

does winklehock now hold the record for most overtkes in one lap with 20??

i beleive he didnt take riaknenon on the first lap but did everybody elese
Old 27 Jul 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1974789)   #2
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm sure in the days when there were more than 22 cars on track, that someone had overtaken the entire field before.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1974823)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Driving past people as they pit doesn't really count.

I think John Watson passed 4 drivers in one lap in the US in 1983 - en route to winning from 22nd on the grid.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1974828)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Juan Pablo started 20th at Germany 2005 and was 8th by the end of the first lap iirc.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1974903)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Michael made up a lot of spots at Suzuka 1998.

Senna must've done something ridiculous at some point?

Mika in France 1999 (I can't remember what he did, but it was wet and he started 16th (or something)?

I will keep thinking on this one, but do not have time to type now.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1974933)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty much all the greats have had podium finishes after starting from double-figures or dropping to the back early on. Not sure which includes the most actual overtaking moves - possibly Schumacher at Spa 1995?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1974997)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking of Senna at Donington, in the pouring rain. That was pretty impressive stuff.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1975018)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
But wasn't that just 4th to 1st? After that he was nothing but a dot.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1975020)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly a mesmeric lap, but he passed only four or five cars yeah.

The Montoya lap Mr V mentions springs to my mind. twentieth to eighth is some going in one lap. It's hard to think of anything similar to that really. It's rare you have the circumstances for that kind of thing.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1975024)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
But wasn't that just 4th to 1st? After that he was nothing but a dot.
He passed Wendlinger, Hill, Schumacher and Prost, I think.

He had started 4th but briefly dropped to 5th.

I may be wrong, but I can't be bothered putting the DVD on.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1975040)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
The Montoya lap Mr V mentions springs to my mind. twentieth to eighth is some going in one lap. It's hard to think of anything similar to that really. It's rare you have the circumstances for that kind of thing.
Justin Wilson in 2003 in his first F1 start for Minardi came from 22nd to 9th by the end of the first lap. Then at round 2 in Malaysia he started somewhere between 20-22nd (can't remember exactly) and was up to 9th again at the end of lap one.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1975042)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were only twenty cars in 2003 I think, but yes. Forgot Justin! He made the most incredible starts and in a Minardi too!

A travesty he wasn't given a better shot at F1, he sure deserved it.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1975045)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Driving past people as they pit doesn't really count.
What! Modern F1 phylosophy is based entirely on this phenomena.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1975046)   #14
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
This lap is incredible. Alonso on lap one in Hungary last year if anyone remembers. It isn't a record but he overtakes about 7 cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBh-2T0NDj0
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:16 (Ref:1975149)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Michael started from 16th at 1995 Belgian GP, he quickly went up to around 5th on first laps of the race. And finally, he won.
And it isn't the only race that he won starting from the bottom lines...
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1975151)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Michael made up a lot of spots at Suzuka 1998.

Senna must've done something ridiculous at some point?
1988 Brazilian GP. Senna stalled his car at the start, went for his muletto, and from pits flied from last to second on 30 laps. But finally was disqualified because he can't use the reserve car when the race was started. Montoya did a similar thing some years ago.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1975190)   #17
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
One of the best races I have ever seen was Hockenheim 2000 on the old track. Barrichello started 18th and won his first race for Ferrari.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1975193)   #18
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
1988 Brazilian GP. Senna stalled his car at the start, went for his muletto, and from pits flied from last to second on 30 laps. But finally was disqualified because he can't use the reserve car when the race was started. Montoya did a similar thing some years ago.
Didn't he almost do the same in Suzuka that year where he nearly stalled? That time though he wasn't excluded.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1975199)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That reference to Montoya 2 years ago in Hockenheim is awesome! I knew he'd done a lot of people early in the race but 16 on the first lap??!!!

I would put money on him having done similar things at various times as well during his time in F1 as we're talking 'one lap' and not just from the back!!

Imola 2001 - I believe he went from something like 10th to 6th on the opening lap? including 1 stunning pass on Panis coming into the final chicane around the outside

The Schu 95; Spa one was the other one I thought of as well (but not quite as good as Hockenheim above!!)

Button last Sunday must've done quite a few before he binned it and all?

What about Kimi Bahrain 2006 or something?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1975203)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hamilton did 10th to 4th between the the startline and the 2nd corner before he got a puncture.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1975206)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
People like Mansell and Gilles must be contenders at some time in their careers!

Anyone got any examples of their one lap feats?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1975232)   #22
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nigel must have overtaken a few on the opening lap of Hungary 89
Old 28 Jul 2007, 10:44 (Ref:1975235)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
alesi from 9th to 1st at Monza 96 .. IIRC

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1975238)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The thing with this 'back to front' mallarky is that you don't know if they are genuine overtaking manouevres or just the guy in the slower car getting out of the way so as not to wreck their races.

Certainly when Massa did is 'thing' the cars were for the most part just getting out of his way.

You don't want to ruin your strategy by battling with a Ferrari if the car you're really racing with is a few seconds further up the road.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1975243)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Justin Wilson in 2003 in his first F1 start for Minardi came from 22nd to 9th by the end of the first lap. Then at round 2 in Malaysia he started somewhere between 20-22nd (can't remember exactly) and was up to 9th again at the end of lap one.
Yes what Wilson did in the Minardi was amazing in his first race. Can't compare what Montoya did in one of the best cars when he should have been wining but didn't as he was just arrogant and clumsy.