Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1978656)   #76
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If you believe the stories, then it seems Nick is the one most likely to leave. Which is just daft, IMO. Not quite sure they should drop Kubica either. Perhaps 2008 on loan also for Vettel?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 01:08 (Ref:1978713)   #77
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only guy who feels sorry for Vettel ? He looked SO good in the Beemer; now he;ll suffer by comparison in that crap-bag STR. Not to mention the highly emotion-charged atmosphere into which he enters. The team is underfunded, poorly managed, and can't compete with Super Aguri. So this is a move up-hill for him ? Does he bring money ?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 01:31 (Ref:1978718)   #78
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
If you believe the stories, then it seems Nick is the one most likely to leave. Which is just daft, IMO. Not quite sure they should drop Kubica either. Perhaps 2008 on loan also for Vettel?
Concur. I think that Theisen would like to dump Nick but he's just driving too well and the Dr. can't do it. I swear he's waiting (hoping) for him to drop off-form again.......
Old 2 Aug 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1978898)   #79
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm

BMW were loaning Vettel from Red Bull already. Basically this has come about because Red Bull/Toro Rosso asked for him back so they effectively terminated the loan

I can't tell whether they want to dump Heidfeld or not. I've always got the impression they want to keep him - he's had a good relationship with them for 3 years now and there's no reason why they would want to get rid of him. Just because they got rid of JV doesn't mean they want to get rid of every driver going. He was dropped because they never wanted him in the first place

I think Heidfeld and Kubica will race for BMW next season, and Vettel at Toro Rosso for at least a year
Old 2 Aug 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1978915)   #80
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I can't see why BMW would want to dump either driver for next season.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1978939)   #81
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, there seem to be some confused facts flying around here.

As far as I've ever heard, Vettel was on loan from Red Bull to BMW for the past two or three seasons; this loan was due to run out at the end of this year anyway.

If BMW wanted Vettel to race for them next year, they would have to re-negotiate things with Red Bull, which I can't see happening. I think his connection with BMW is split for the time being at least.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 15:54 (Ref:1979159)   #82
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel confirmed at Toro Rosso for 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61270

(500 posts )
Old 2 Aug 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1979167)   #83
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
seriously, hes talented no doubt, but let him give the car a go once or twice before making the call?
besides i thought the EU had laws against child labour. or maybe they feel Tost is less likely to beat children
Old 2 Aug 2007, 16:32 (Ref:1979184)   #84
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All Sebastian line-up next year then?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1979232)   #85
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit suprising they make this announcement before he's even done one race, but he seems like a talanted kid. Good luck to him. He may very well need it at Toro Rosso. Good thing he has both Red Bull and BMW to fall back on though.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1979256)   #86
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
BMW were loaning Vettel from Red Bull already. Basically this has come about because Red Bull/Toro Rosso asked for him back so they effectively terminated the loan
Ah, well, indeed, in that case; yes, that would be logical.

But the Autosport website claims that BMW choose to release him from his contract with them (BMW, that is). Perhaps Vettel had the means to have a clause allowing him to leave for hte offer of a F1 race drive with another team?

Or is this incorrect?

It is a good option for STR, regardless.

Last edited by Dutton; 2 Aug 2007 at 18:15.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1979278)   #87
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
This is from earlier this month

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60569

Quote:
Mateschitz said he is ready to offer Vettel a seat, but the Austrian billionaire admitted that the German's contractual ties with BMW Sauber mean that the decision is out of his hands. Vettel has been loaned to BMW Sauber until the end of 2008.
And this was from October last year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54945

Quote:
Although the German is currently a BMW driver, he has a long-term contract with Red Bull that is believed to give them first call on his services in future years.

That situation has prompted speculation that BMW-Sauber may be reluctant to commit to the youngster, because they would merely be grooming him for a future career elsewhere.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 19:43 (Ref:1979313)   #88
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel's rookie point on his debut at Indy has marked him out as a future star, but the TSR ain't no BMW! So it's probably going to be a bit of a culture shock for him to discover the differance!

Now if he walks all over Liuzzi in Qualifying and the race (all things being equal for them both) then bring it on! However if his best laps in qually or the race only match Liuzzi then we'll all know 'the car's the star' not the drivers!
Old 2 Aug 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1979316)   #89
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
All Sebastian line-up next year then?
I thought it would have been, but Toro Rosso had until July 31 to take up their option on Bourdais, and there's not been a peep from either camp in the last three days. So have they decided against signing the Frenchman? Or is the deal merely being kept quiet for now? Who knows.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1979320)   #90
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's difficult to say whether Vettel will be quicker than Liuzzi immediately. It all depends on Liuzzi's mental make-up, I suppose. If he is a sensitive soul, the rumours, the pressure, and the public criticism from Berger / Tost is sure to unsettle him. Vettel, on the other hand, will be full of confidence.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1979336)   #91
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I thought it would have been, but Toro Rosso had until July 31 to take up their option on Bourdais, and there's not been a peep from either camp in the last three days. So have they decided against signing the Frenchman? Or is the deal merely being kept quiet for now? Who knows.

Maybe they're going to wait and see how Vettel stacks up against Liuzzi in the next few races -- They know Sebastion is desparate to get to F1 and there seems to be no interest in him outside of STR, so they can grab him any time -- I'm surprised that they signed Vettel for '08 without having a race under his belt which would at least give them some kind of baseline on him. Did they really sign him for '08 or do they have an option on him for '08 -- big difference.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1979338)   #92
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Vettel at Toro Rosso till the end of 2008 then to RBR?
Coulthard retires at the end of 2008?
Bordais not at Toro Rosso in 2008?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1979361)   #93
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It could be that STR do not see Luizzi being in the team next year, thus they have a seat to fill anyway (in terms of next year, the signing of Vettel alters nothing regards SB's chances at getting the seat - if STR want him [and he wants them], then it will happen).
Old 2 Aug 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1979421)   #94
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Maybe they signed Vettel instead of Bourdais...
Old 2 Aug 2007, 23:47 (Ref:1979516)   #95
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
And that would be the right move...
Old 3 Aug 2007, 00:25 (Ref:1979529)   #96
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Vettel at Toro Rosso till the end of 2008 then to RBR?
Coulthard retires at the end of 2008?
Bordais not at Toro Rosso in 2008?
I think 2 out of 3 could be right, maybe all 3.
If no Frenchie in 2008, then never, IMO
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1979743)   #97
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oh there'll be a lot of seats spare end of next year don't worry....
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1979758)   #98
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So has or hasn't STR taken Bourdais' option?

Oh, and I stand corrected: I had indeed forgotten that Vettel was on loan to BMW initially. Having said that, they apparently like him and having him get some seat time in the races can only help him. Perhaps they have an eye on him for a future opening (beyond 2008).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1980539)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As I suspected Vettel didn't quite match up to Liuzzi there did he?

Early days I know and Vettle is obviously very good and will take some time to understand the equipment he's now got to play with.

But today Liuzzi drove with a new purpose it seemed to me, like he's had the wake up call he needed and has probably been told. 'Right you've got 6 races (or whatever it is) to save your drive, (or save your F1 career altogether).'

I think he another extremely naturally talented driver but another example of not being able to focus or harness it. I hope he drivers a stormer tomorrow.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1980550)   #100
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right, Liuzzi was a pleasant surprise today. Vettel looked like he could have gone much quicker, but kept making mistakes. 20th is really not that great. I suspect that their race pace will be closer, but we'll have to see for tomorrow.