Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1980677)   #51
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yup, I thought he was pretty good.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1980805)   #52
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very good job, I think they should have Damon along side Martin and James each race. But have them all equal and no Allen leading commentary so we have to listen to Allen 75% of the time.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1980843)   #53
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon with a commentator again, does this mean we're going to get another F1-themed Pizza Hut advert?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1980870)   #54
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damon done a good job today.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1980913)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damon and Martin as a partnership....possibly complemented with Ben Edwards in a lead role.

Commentary heaven.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1980960)   #56
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bed Edwards and Martin Brundle would be good. It gets a bit over crowded when you use more than two commentators I think.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1980962)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, no, no....Monaco 2005 proves you wrong!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1980964)   #58
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Ah yes, Button on a Walker-esque charge?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1980966)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Absolutely!

Although, admittedly, James was far more reduced in his role that day.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1980979)   #60
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Love Damon to bits as a driver, but sadly I have to give a thumbs down to his commentary. Yes he was enthusiastic, but sadly his knowledge of what was going on seemed even more outdated than Martin's. If you don't see what I'm getting at, cop a re-listen to Anthony Davidson's visit to the booth last year. Even Martin was put in the shade by AD's understanding of the tyre situation and team tactics. :-)
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1980983)   #61
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Brundle is key to the F1 viewing weekend - but it'll be nice to have Damon on board, just for the change.

Whoever said it before, I agree: Davidson was really good on commentary for this race last year, when his team-mate won the race, in fact. Hopefully something good will come up tomorrow and Hill will talk for England (so James doesn't have to!).
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1980988)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Davidson was reasonable. He added some enjoyable aspects, but it got a bit embarrassing once Jenson won the race!
Old 5 Aug 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1981118)   #63
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Very good job, I think they should have Damon along side Martin and James each race. But have them all equal and no Allen leading commentary so we have to listen to Allen 75% of the time.
That could work. Means JA has less time. SpeedTv have three and the clips I've seen of their output is quiet good, plus they have Peter Windsor in the pits.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 02:08 (Ref:1981162)   #64
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James: "Wow Kimi has gone second. I wish the director would show us more so we could see what sort of lap it was".
Damon: "I think we can conclude it was a reasonable one James".

Loved it.

Reminds me of
Murray Walker: "A car on fire has just gone into the swimming pool".
James Hunt: "That should put it out Murray".
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1981535)   #65
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any race with Martin not commentating is fine by me, most of the time he is watching another race anyway.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1981540)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He normally watches a tape of Silverstone from a few years ago - he wants to get that one right first.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1981545)   #67
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1981594)   #68
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Damon did alright. He was a tad out of touch with current Formula One, but he was honest and forthright in his opinions.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1981597)   #69
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Was it me, or does Damon sound different now? I guess his accent may have changed.

There were occasions when the way he used to sound would pop through, but most of the time it was quite different.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:40 (Ref:1981600)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He was rubbish at recognising which driver was which too. Not a problem though for a one off.

At no point did he go "nawwooooarghhhhh". Which is a bonus
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:41 (Ref:1981605)   #71
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed listening to Damon. Yeh he had a few pauses etc, but who cares? All i want is someone who is passionate for F1 and who knows about the sport talking, and Damon covered these aspects fine.

I missed Brundle's grid walk though.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1981614)   #72
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The highlight of commentating for me today was from SpeedTV. I think it was Hobbes, but at one point he immitated the noise of the cars passing the camera. You will all know the noise I mean, as we will all have done it enough times.

It was just out of nowhere, but sort of additional background noise to the speech.

It was quite bizarre, but summed up quite nicely what it is about.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1981699)   #73
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damon didn't impress me. There were too many little mistakes, such as saying that Alonso was running lighter than Lewis, and the attempt at backtracking his Ferrari long-wheelbase analogy was cringeworthy - had someone really texted ITV to complain? He added little on the technical or tactical side, as was almost as fawningly pro-Lewis as James.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1981702)   #74
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
He was rubbish at recognising which driver was which too. Not a problem though for a one off.
Yes, he did mix up people's names on a number of occasions. Near the end he referred to Alonso as Massa, and at one point he claimed that Anthony Davidson was Lewis Hamilton's father! Altogether though, I enjoyed listening to him.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1981718)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nope Damon didn't seem a natural as Brundle did right from his debut as a subsititue for Palmer on the Beeb back in 1997 or whenever it was?

However he was interesting enough and was good listening to some of his comments, and of course we know with Damon Hill he'll call a spade a spade!!

Particularly amusing was his 'Ferrari-truck' mix up, and did he deliberately ignore Allen's question: 'So Damon do you think Ralf deserves another year?'

Personally i'd like to see Brundle as main commentator with someone like Herbert or Irvine alongside!!