Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1986040)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sauber still a part of BMW?

Anyone know why Sauber is still in the team name? I thought they were phasing it out and that it'd be gone by now.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1986042)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's to do with sponsorship or something, anyone have more details than that?

Peter Sauber is still a consultant with the team I think, and I belive he still owns a small share...
Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1986047)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt think they'd "phase out" anything from Sauber, but continue to provide resources and build from the base. Theyre still in Hinwil, Switzerland afterall, and i believe the majority of the Sauber staff are still there.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1986070)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably the name remaining is more than just the legacy of the old Sauber team, the fact they still have many Sauber personnel etc. They might be funded in some way by Peter Sauber to still use the name, because wouldn't BMW just want ideally to be called BMW? (It's not a situation like McLaren-Mercedes where, with all due respect to Sauber, the team name carries a certain prestige and can be worth retaining for that reason.)

As I said, I thought this season the Sauber bit was supposed to be gone. Also, on a related note, does anyone know why when BMW supplied Williams with engines, there was a time when the screen caption read BMW-Williams? I read that it was a mistake of some kind, and I thought the team name always goes first and the engine supplier's second.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1986083)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW were more than an engine supplier to Williams though.

Sometimes this season Williams are referred to as AT&T Williams.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 15:21 (Ref:1986084)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember reading an interview with Thiessen and he said they were going to keep the name because of the history behind it. It's not going anywhere.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1986098)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I remember reading an interview with Thiessen and he said they were going to keep the name because of the history behind it. It's not going anywhere.
That's good. A bit of respect to the teams roots. (It may of also been written into the contract when Sauber was sold to BMW).
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:23 (Ref:1986119)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
BMW were more than an engine supplier to Williams though.
Even so, McLaren are always McLaren-Mercedes, and in 2005 BAR was always BAR-Honda.

Quote:
Sometimes this season Williams are referred to as AT&T Williams.
Thats just the equivalent of Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari or Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1986122)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always heard that the main reason Sauber's name is still on the team is because of Credit Suisse's sponsorship deal, whose contract stipulates retaining the Sauber name.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1986139)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Also, on a related note, does anyone know why when BMW supplied Williams with engines, there was a time when the screen caption read BMW-Williams? I read that it was a mistake of some kind, and I thought the team name always goes first and the engine supplier's second.
Because they were entered as "BMW WilliamsF1 Team", but Williams was still the constructor and BMW the engine supplier. Thus, the constructor's table correctly reads "Williams BMW".
Old 11 Aug 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1986147)   #11
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If they just called it "BMW" they would have to fit rubbish brakes, strut front suspension and non functioning indicators.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1986165)   #12
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its great they have kept the name so far, but if they start winning, how long will it last?
Old 11 Aug 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1986437)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As long as Dr Thiessen is in charge, the name Sauber will remain in the name. He has said numerous times the reason for the BMW Sauber name was to honor one of the great privateers in racing. And he is still somewhat involved with the team too as a consultant.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 23:42 (Ref:1986443)   #14
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Fletche
If they just called it "BMW" they would have non functioning indicators.
Unless the drivers don't know how to use them!!
Old 12 Aug 2007, 01:51 (Ref:1986472)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I think the Credit Suisse sponsorship suggestion, Theissen's attitude to it and the practical situation, that if they don't do well it can dilute some of negativity....

It is based in switzerland so keeping the Swiss on side by using the name also gives more than just a corportate identity to the team. I like it.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1986526)   #16
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Credit Suisse explanation makes sense. Although with this year's performance they shouldn't have any trouble attracting new sponsors, so we'll see whether they switch to a BMW-only team name in the future.

I think the BMW-Sauber and McLaren-Mercedes crossover is an interesting one though. In the nineties McLaren built sports cars with BMW engines and Sauber built them with Mercedes engines.
Today in F1, McLaren belongs to Mercedes and Sauber has been bought by BMW.

Is this one of these "grass is greener on the other side" things? Silly world.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1986539)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Doesn't Peter Sauber still own 20% or something?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1986563)   #18
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
I think the BMW-Sauber and McLaren-Mercedes crossover is an interesting one though. In the nineties McLaren built sports cars with BMW engines and Sauber built them with Mercedes engines.
Today in F1, McLaren belongs to Mercedes and Sauber has been bought by BMW.
In addition to that you could even say the BMW Sauber factory in Hinwil was originally built (funded at least) by Mercedes Benz. The original plan was to have a Mercedes factory team run by Sauber in F1 in the same way that in Group C and the new plant was built for that reason. Because of the recession they finally opted to come to the sport as engine suppliers only.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1986625)   #19
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Doesn't Peter Sauber still own 20% or something?
I think so, its something around that number.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1986785)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Even so, McLaren are always McLaren-Mercedes, and in 2005 BAR was always BAR-Honda.

Thats just the equivalent of Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari or Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.
They were called BMW Williams because BMW. in additon to being the engine supplier were the major sponsor of the team.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1986794)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, it was all part of BMW's marketing strategy.