Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jan 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3701328)   #26
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JLOC, when I see that name it remembers me of 2009. After their retirement in lap 1, the drivers and some team members turned into tourist's and visited our camping to take pictures

2010, in a Reiter developed Lamborghini, was a bit better for them.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3701372)   #27
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some excellent niche history in this thread, thanks all for sharing.

Amazing how many of these incidents happened close to, but not on, the very opening lap.

Can anyone shed any light on the "Autocon" incident?
Old 9 Jan 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3701378)   #28
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Can anyone shed any light on the "Autocon" incident?
If I remember correctly (dominant memory from 2010 is still the Peugeot engine detonations, and it still hurts a bit to recall) Autocon had enormous trouble with the car as soon as they rolled it off the truck from the airport terminal, completed very few laps in practice and qualifying (I see they qualified LMP2 mid-pack with an LMP1 car), and the transmission broke on the first racing lap.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3701787)   #29
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
4th braking at Mulsanne according to J.-M. Teissèdre.
Thanks Pascal. I knew it was early in the race but couldn't remember precisely when. I still smile at the thought of Dorchy turning ninety degrees left instead of right at the end of what was still in those days, the Mulsanne Straight. A classic case of human error.

Another one: Frere/Fairman/de Portago at the Esses in 1956, second lap. All caused by Frere's error. In his autobiography he headed the chapter "mea culpa"
Old 11 Jan 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3701888)   #30
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is also the Audi #3 puncture on the warm up lap in 2002.
Of course not directly a human error and not on the opening lap.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3702150)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
If I remember correctly (dominant memory from 2010 is still the Peugeot engine detonations, and it still hurts a bit to recall) Autocon had enormous trouble with the car as soon as they rolled it off the truck from the airport terminal, completed very few laps in practice and qualifying (I see they qualified LMP2 mid-pack with an LMP1 car), and the transmission broke on the first racing lap.
Two or three years ago, Bentley and I (perhaps Tony too) had a very interesting discussion with a certain Mr. Chamberlain over a curry near Silverstone regarding this effort - in which he was 'allegedly' advising......
Old 12 Jan 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3702159)   #32
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Two or three years ago, Bentley and I (perhaps Tony too) had a very interesting discussion with a certain Mr. Chamberlain over a curry near Silverstone regarding this effort - in which he was 'allegedly' advising......
Judging by the tone and by what ultimately happened over the course of the week, I'm guessing every single word that came out of Hugh's mouth that week was studiously and steadfastly ignored by the team?
Old 12 Jan 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3702186)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very astute there Victor......
Old 13 Jan 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3702380)   #34
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
In Hugh's words, at least it broke early so he could go to the pub (without the team though).
Old 14 Jan 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3702491)   #35
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Searching back in my very distant memory ................

Didn't a certain Mr Palmer bin the Canon Porsche 962 at Mulsanne Corner on the first lap back in the '80's? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3702551)   #36
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Searching back in my very distant memory ................

Didn't a certain Mr Palmer bin the Canon Porsche 962 at Mulsanne Corner on the first lap back in the '80's? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Yes, in 1983. But, it was the second lap and Jan Lammers was behind the wheel.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3703111)   #37
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knew that I had watched it all those years ago ............... just couldn't remember who and when! Thank you for putting me right ........ and suitable apologies to Mr Palmer!
Old 18 May 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3734352)   #38
LotusF1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Half a mile from Rockingham Raceway.
LotusF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You want opening lap drama at the start of an endurance race?
Have you ever seen the start of the Nurburgring 24 hours?
160 cars in three groups, Lemans is nothing in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Old 19 May 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3734397)   #39
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusF1 View Post
You want opening lap drama at the start of an endurance race?
Have you ever seen the start of the Nurburgring 24 hours?
160 cars in three groups, Lemans is nothing in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Hello,
This is a discussion thread about the start at le Mans. Many of us like the Nurburgring too, so I invite you to open a thread called "opening lap dramas at Nurburgring 24 hours" in the Sportscar & GT Racing level.
Old 19 May 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3734473)   #40
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember Alexander Premat crashing the R15 on the first lap in 2009 at Indianapolis while being chased by the Astons
Old 19 May 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3734475)   #41
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
I seem to remember Alexander Premat crashing the R15 on the first lap in 2009 at Indianapolis while being chased by the Astons
That was on lap 3 or 4 actually.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3737395)   #42
Jager
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Australia
Jager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also Willie Mairesse's bad crashed at Mulsanne on the first lap in 1968 that destroyed his GT40 :

Old 3 Jun 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3738294)   #43
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
There was also Willie Mairesse's bad crashed at Mulsanne on the first lap in 1968 that destroyed his GT40 :

Good spot!
Old 3 Jun 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3738364)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And his life sadly
Old 4 Jun 2017, 02:50 (Ref:3738445)   #45
Jager
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Australia
Jager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1954, the #61 Panhard X84 of Eugène Dussous and Jacques Savoye crashed out on the first lap.I haven't been able to find any pictures of the car.

In 1966, the #10 Bizarrini spyder spun as it accelerated away from the start and found itself facing the wrong way. It could have been disastrous, but everyone avoided him:

It retired only 8 laps later with clutch failure.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3739528)   #46
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
For anyone who's been lucky enough to be track side at the start of the world's greatest motor race, the start of Le Mans is one of the most dramatic spectacles in motor sport - and that's despite the fact that it's very rare that anything happens of significance, at least as far as the main protagonists are concerned, within the opening 8 miles of the race.

The lack of opening lap drama is something quite extraordinary. In a typical Formula One season, you could probably expect 4-5 incidents on just the first corner alone, in a field of just 22 cars.

Of course, Le Mans can never be won on the first lap and drivers will be doing everything they can to keep it on the grey stuff - but the fact that year after year, every single driver seemingly drives without fault on the opening lap, without so much as a gentleman driver locking up with cold brakes, is something special.

As far as I'm concerned, the last non-mechanical incident to occur on the first lap was 18 years ago, when Hiroki Kato span his BMW V12 LMR at the Dunlop Chicane:

https://youtu.be/CYvdNNjt5vo?t=28m50s

I'd be interested to know if this is indeed the last first-lap incident - have you seen something during the first lap that the cameras didn't catch?
That was my first Le Mans and I know I watched the start from the Dunlop chicane so must have seen that! I nearly always watch the start from there and apart from a few lock ups, am surprised and relieved every year when they all make it through.