Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Jun 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3747313)   #1
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can a F3 World Championship save Formula 3

The reason why I raise this option is because the competitors for this year's FIA F3 European Championship is much lesser than in 2014 and 2015 with not more than 20 cars in the recent years, that cannot show a strong mandate to the racing community (but the performance of Lance Stroll in Baku may give a little light to the series)(Also teams may be watching the Dallara F317 and cost-cutting methods made by FIA)

What is more, the FIA introduced an International Trophy in 2011, and re-brand the Macau Formula 3 race into a World Cup status in 2016 which I think FIA is working to do something to improve the competitiveness of Formula 3. And a World Championship can introduce non-European circuits to join the calendar, like Guia Circuit, COTA, Suzuka and so on.

Welcome all F3 fans to join the discussion!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3747325)   #2
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
No, costs would be horrific. Travel and freight. Freight is the biggest cost the Macau govt pays.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3747327)   #3
smithhehehaha
Racer

This is one of my concerns, if FIA can get a good promoter, it can bring us a good service provider like DHL
Old 27 Jun 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3747329)   #4
smithhehehaha
Racer

Another option is introducing the hybrid function into F3 as many major racing series like F1, WEC and DTM is adapting such technologies
Old 27 Jun 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3747345)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Junior formula racing should be regional. F3 can race across Europe, but that's it.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3747561)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Agreed, F3 Masters and Macau are the closest things we've had to a world cup of F3. A world championship would be too much
Old 29 Jun 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3747709)   #7
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what they are hoping to do is what they are working on with F4 and have more regional and National F3 series that could compete in a World Championship Shoot Out.

Part of the problem is the competition with GP3. From what I can tell, GP3 will eventually be re-branded as FIA European F3 and there will be national/regional F3 Lite series in other parts of the world.

When and if that happens is anybody's guess but if you had the GP3 teams competing in European F3 that category would instantly become stronger.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 02:33 (Ref:3747711)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the problem is that the concept behind f3 and gp3 is absolutely night and day. something will have to give and it'll be a crying shame if it's the f3 philosophy.

but yeah, you can have as many fancy races as you like but the reality is that the market can't afford the budget fia f3 teams need to charge as it is. it's a right headache, i don't envy the person in charge of sorting it out in the slightest.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3747735)   #9
smithhehehaha
Racer

Similar to the plan of the merger between F3 and GP3, a F3 World Championship can absorb teams who are racing in other regional F3 series (like Japan F3 and F3 Euro Open in Spain) into an FIA-sanctioned championship to enhance the power of F3.

For the cost issue, everyone is looking the cut cost measures in FIA F3 European Championship, but as I mentioned before, if FIA can find a good promoter, it may save some costs by attracting different commercial partners (like DHL as logistic partner, hotel chains for providing hospitality services to drivers and team personnel)

A F3 World Championship can increase the recognition of championship winners that he/she defeated all the drivers around the world like F1.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3747738)   #10
smithhehehaha
Racer

What is more, as I suggest the introduction of hybrid engines can help drivers to meet the requirements of motorsport community. Like F1, WEC and DTM have hybrid engines.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:31 (Ref:3747742)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For F3 really to get back to it's glory days, it needs multi chassis/engine, because that is one thing missing these days from junior single seaters
Old 1 Jul 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3748089)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it could work with the right level of support. Put it on the Grand Prix package along with an F2 world championship and sell it as a united TV deal - if you want to show F1, then you also have to show F2 and F3. Sundays are 3x GP's like in MotoGP, with the F3, F2 and F1 race. That would dramatically increase the exposure of the championship and might interest some real sponsors.

I'd love to see an open formula, but I think a good middle ground could be a new Dallara design that is frozen for a couple of seasons. Different engines should be possible right off the bat and could lead to factory supported MB, VW, Toyota and Honda junior teams.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3748145)   #13
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
I think it could work with the right level of support. Put it on the Grand Prix package along with an F2 world championship and sell it as a united TV deal - if you want to show F1, then you also have to show F2 and F3. Sundays are 3x GP's like in MotoGP, with the F3, F2 and F1 race. That would dramatically increase the exposure of the championship and might interest some real sponsors.

I'd love to see an open formula, but I think a good middle ground could be a new Dallara design that is frozen for a couple of seasons. Different engines should be possible right off the bat and could lead to factory supported MB, VW, Toyota and Honda junior teams.
Maybe there will be lots of arguments on engines. Now F3 cars carries a engine with a production model block, if R&D actions is allowed, it may brought up the expenses as many friends here are concerning about the costs. And I raised the idea to introduce a hybrid engine because it can cut costs on fuel and equip the drivers to adapt this system as major racing series are using hybrid engines.

I agreed some opinions that a junior single seater series should allow more driver competition than R&D works.

I agree a good promoter is a essential to cut unnecessary costs on travel different places. But I don't want F3 to tie with F1 and F2 as I wants the series can have some level of flexibility, like the current F3 European Championship are support races for DTM, WTCC, Spa 24 hours and WEC.

Last edited by smithhehehaha; 1 Jul 2017 at 16:58.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3748168)   #14
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Hybrids , world championship ? God above , no. F3 , to survive , needs a change in mindset . The more technical and complex the cars the more they will cost and the less overtaking there will be. In the UK - and I am sure elsewhere- we are crying out for a fast and spectacular single seater formula. It needs to work in its own right and not just be the usual self delusional tosh about a footstep to F1 as there are only 20 seats in F1 and half are those are occupied by safe pairs of very old hands like Massa and Raikkonen.

300plus bhp normally aspirated 2 litres ,no trick aero and conservative construction - multi chassis fine , and engines too , but rule stability guaranteed so last year's chassis isn't worth 27p .

Thinking man's BTCC - fast , noisy cars and a TV deal (Personally I think TV has been the death of most motor sport but as most 'fans ' rarely watch live I will grudgingly allow it's needed !)
Old 1 Jul 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3748184)   #15
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
European F3 needs to stay in Europe. However, could there be an Asian F3 championship with their own cars as well. Then standings from both combine to give a world championship. It would work similar GP2 Asia and GP2 so you have both running without calendar clashes. Most can stick to one championship while those with a bigger budget can race in both and you could even drop a few scores in case some can't make all 18-22 rounds.

They'd both would support F1, WEC or WTCC, though Europe could race at Pau and with the DTM.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3748186)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Formula V8 3.5 joined the FIA WEC at Silverstone in April. Did anyone care?

I know the answer: there were no British drivers. But Oliver Rowland was champion in 2015, and I'm not sure many fans paid attention to him back then.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3748201)   #17
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the FIA should draw inspiration from MotoGP as was mentioned earlier. Have F1, F2 and F3 as world championships and raise the media importance of F2 and F3 in the same way that Moto2/Moto3 is- winning a Moto2 title is a pretty high accolade within motorbikes for instance, you make the list of motorbike Grand Prix champions by doing so.

It means sponsors are more interested in the international feeder series, so more likely for drivers to find funding and also making F2 or F3 a viable career option should F1 be an unattainable goal (think Simone Corsi/Mattia Pasini for instance in Moto2).

F3 World Championship should replace GP3 with single make chassis yet same open F3 engine regulations and maintain the F3 Euroseries as a stepping stone series towards the main championships.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3748202)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
Maybe there will be lots of arguments on engines. Now F3 cars carries a engine with a production model block
Not true. Not since 2013. Now they are all bespoke racing units.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3748619)   #19
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
I think the FIA should draw inspiration from MotoGP as was mentioned earlier. Have F1, F2 and F3 as world championships and raise the media importance of F2 and F3 in the same way that Moto2/Moto3 is- winning a Moto2 title is a pretty high accolade within motorbikes for instance, you make the list of motorbike Grand Prix champions by doing so.

It means sponsors are more interested in the international feeder series, so more likely for drivers to find funding and also making F2 or F3 a viable career option should F1 be an unattainable goal (think Simone Corsi/Mattia Pasini for instance in Moto2).

F3 World Championship should replace GP3 with single make chassis yet same open F3 engine regulations and maintain the F3 Euroseries as a stepping stone series towards the main championships.
Maybe like the MotoGP by providing more privilege on satellite teams than factory teams?
Old 4 Jul 2017, 01:34 (Ref:3748734)   #20
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post

Agreed. I believe the FIA want to move towards regional F3 series feeding into the main international series. At least that is what they have been saying publicly and I know that it is being actively looked at in North and South America. Whether its feasible is a whole other question. This will take a few years to sort out.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3748850)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport Prospects View Post
Agreed. I believe the FIA want to move towards regional F3 series feeding into the main international series. At least that is what they have been saying publicly and I know that it is being actively looked at in North and South America. Whether its feasible is a whole other question. This will take a few years to sort out.
it's feasible, sure - i think euroformula is a good example of how that can work using the same car. more so than brdc f3, which i'm sure is a great little car but it doesn't really do anything worth spending a decent budget on. i'm not sure what the budget difference would be between those two though.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3749310)   #22
smithhehehaha
Racer

Just read an Autosport article from Marcus Simmons, that includes an interview with Gerhard Berger, the new master of DTM, about the future of F3 and GP3. It seems the new F3 is mostly based on the current GP3 Series, and Berger hopes the new series can become supporting races for both F1 and DTM.

But Berger said he can restore the Formula 3 Euro Series to against the reformed F3 series from the FIA. But in the end, the author regards Berger is not a killer of F3, but the man to save F3.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3749312)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just read an Autosport article from Marcus Simmons, that includes an interview with Gerhard Berger, the new master of DTM, about the future of F3 and GP3. It seems the new F3 is mostly based on the current GP3 Series, and Berger hopes the new series can become supporting races for both F1 and DTM.

But Berger said he can restore the Formula 3 Euro Series to against the reformed F3 series from the FIA. But in the end, the author regards Berger is not a killer of F3, but the man to save F3.
Perhaps he can salvage F3 from a slow descent into the grave he helped dig for it?
Old 7 Jul 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3749390)   #24
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the biggest problem for F3 is competition from GP3 that races in GP weekends.

but the plan is for F3 to become part of those GP weekends instead of GP3
Old 7 Jul 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3749430)   #25
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Quote:

Well the article outlined 4 different options with Berger favouring F3 running a split DTM/F1 support package. He makes some good points about track time and the support of Volkswagen and Mercedes. He doesn't want the essence of F3 killed which I agree with.

Personally I think a single make chassis and multiple engines like now should remain. The tough part will be to convince Bruno Michel to go along with that plan because as Berger points out, he makes money from selling parts to the teams as well as coordination of the overall championship.

I think the FIA should keep the series open to multiple chassis even though it is in reality one make now. All eyes will be on FIA to see what they do.