Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Nov 2018, 00:31 (Ref:3860999)   #126
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Because the boost BoP is a WTCR-only thing. Decided by FIA with an ambiguous behaviour.
yeah wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Calendar announced.
Wrong thread.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3861000)   #127
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
They said something similar about the UK series. Started with 13 cars, finished with about 11. Racing was largely dull occasionally enlivened by some average driving standards. Not excited by it at all.

Cars are surprisingly fast, though. A team of them beat radical sportscars in the 6 hour Silverstone relay last weekend. Probably helped by lousy weather conditions, but even so, that was unexpected.
Not terribly fast ,around the same pace as GT4, saw them at Spa and looked slow on the big GP track but will be good at most Aussie tracks.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3861012)   #128
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Wrong thread.
No it isn't.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/05...2019-calendar/
Old 5 Nov 2018, 01:50 (Ref:3861017)   #129
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My bad dude :P
Old 5 Nov 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3861078)   #130
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good calendar.
Old 5 Nov 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3861131)   #131
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Not terribly fast ,around the same pace as GT4, saw them at Spa and looked slow on the big GP track but will be good at most Aussie tracks.
No confirmation on the internet rumour?
Old 5 Nov 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3861152)   #132
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Not terribly fast ,around the same pace as GT4
Regardless it will still shock many "drunken fans on the mountain" that a 2.0L turbo wrong-wheel-drive bum-dragger shopping car can do similar laptimes to their much beloved right-wheel-drive "proper" V8 Mustangs and straight six turbo BMW M4s, like-vs-like, race prepared production car vs race prepared production car...

Such folks are often unable to grasp the simple idea of power-vs-weight with their slogans of "only milk comes in 2 litres" and similar...
Old 6 Nov 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3861269)   #133
Mixer
Veteran

A lap time does not an exciting race car make.

GT4s are not particularly fast either, but at least they have different specifications that means different tracks bring different cars into play.

I've been trying to like TCR, I really have.

But as Umai Naa pointed out, I've been watching the wrong series. You know the worldwide one...
Old 6 Nov 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3861380)   #134
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
GT4s are not particularly fast either, but at least they have different specifications that means different tracks bring different cars into play.
True, but there is simply nothing in GT4 for a Volkswagen, Peugeot or Honda enthusiast to cheer for. That's the beauty of TCR; you can cheer on a souped up version of the car you actually drive... without the peer pressure to get more expensive RWD performance car (most of which don't even have manual transmission option and are trying too hard to be luxury cars!).
Old 6 Nov 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3861393)   #135
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
True, but there is simply nothing in GT4 for a Volkswagen, Peugeot or Honda enthusiast to cheer for. That's the beauty of TCR; you can cheer on a souped up version of the car you actually drive... without the peer pressure to get more expensive RWD performance car (most of which don't even have manual transmission option and are trying too hard to be luxury cars!).
The #1 and #2 selling cars in this country right now are Toyota Hilux & Ford Ranger, and it seems, if the sentiment here is anything to go by, that the racing of these vehicles has all the attraction of a David Thexton driving masterclass.

Not sure a ‘popular’ model argument is particularly valid here...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Nov 2018, 23:07 (Ref:3861489)   #136
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I drive a Golf, but TCR is boring as batshit, and that is with multiple world touring car champions driving.

Not sure that some second-rate club racers running around with Shannons Nationals is going to provide much interest by comparison.

I wonder if most of the entertainment might come in the form of *****ing about BoP....
Old 7 Nov 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3861500)   #137
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I drive a Golf, but TCR is boring as batshit, and that is with multiple world touring car champions driving.

Not sure that some second-rate club racers running around with Shannons Nationals is going to provide much interest by comparison.

I wonder if most of the entertainment might come in the form of *****ing about BoP....
Not sure about the quality of drivers that might appear but I believe that some current and former V8 Supercars drivers are interested. Lets see who turns up at the test and launch day.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3861631)   #138
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not much wrong with TCR. I have seen great races this season.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3861694)   #139
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
TCR is boring as batshit,
BTCC is far from boring, nearly every race creates incredible 4-wide action, so there is the potential to be exciting. TCR Germany also manages to create 4-abreast racing action.

Quote:
Not sure that some second-rate club racers
I'd like to see former international Formula 3000 driver and Mighty Mouse Honda time attacker Rob Nguyen in a Civic, as well as Improved Production Honda ace Jordan Cox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Not sure a ‘popular’ model argument is particularly valid here...
Manual-only hot hatches don't tend to sell well in Australia compared to their dual-clutch or automatic alternatives, as buyers seem averse to cars with clutch pedals -- go figure! You can't count on the buying public to have taste [try finding a BMW M140i hot hatchback with manual transmission, they are outnumbered 9:1 by automatic models]. Meanwhile, 80% of rental cars in Europe are manual, and over there it's just normal for cars to be manual.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 7 Nov 2018 at 20:13.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3861732)   #140
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC is far from boring, nearly every race creates incredible 4-wide action, so there is the potential to be exciting. TCR Germany also manages to create 4-abreast racing action.

I'd like to see former international Formula 3000 driver and Mighty Mouse Honda time attacker Rob Nguyen in a Civic, as well as Improved Production Honda ace Jordan Cox.

Manual-only hot hatches don't tend to sell well in Australia compared to their dual-clutch or automatic alternatives, as buyers seem averse to cars with clutch pedals -- go figure! You can't count on the buying public to have taste [try finding a BMW M140i hot hatchback with manual transmission, they are outnumbered 9:1 by automatic models]. Meanwhile, 80% of rental cars in Europe are manual, and over there it's just normal for cars to be manual.
How much is the European manual market driven by distributor offering? Manual seems to be vanishing in NZ altogether, even in commercial vehicles too. I know of a truck fleet of around 600 with less than 20 manuals because they struggle to find drivers that can drive them.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 03:24 (Ref:3861741)   #141
Mixer
Veteran

If 4 wide racing is your metric for entertaining racing we need go engineer the thinnest cars possible surely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Nov 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3861744)   #142
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You never know your luck in the big city
Old 8 Nov 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3861792)   #143
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
If 4 wide racing is your metric for entertaining racing we need go engineer the thinnest cars possible surely.
Not necessary! TCR sure turn on a great show with 4-wide racing that is somehow all too-hard for line-astern Supercars...

BTCC manage it too! Hatchback racing sure is great, isn't it?

Old 8 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3861799)   #144
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
I drive a Golf, but TCR is boring as batshit,
Plenty of action, some of it 3-wide and 4-wide, in this TCR Europe race from he Hungaroring. https://youtu.be/MKRlG2O2Hgg?t=835 Quite entertaining!
Old 8 Nov 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3861883)   #145
Mixer
Veteran

I have watched that race and it's one of the ones I am not much of a fan of. The only interest is working out how hard someone has to biff to pass, and the suspense is whether the stewards do anything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Nov 2018, 23:11 (Ref:3861887)   #146
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Plenty of action, some of it 3-wide and 4-wide, in this TCR Europe race from he Hungaroring. https://youtu.be/MKRlG2O2Hgg?t=835 Quite entertaining!
I hope the commentary is better here...
Old 8 Nov 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3861890)   #147
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Not necessary! TCR sure turn on a great show with 4-wide racing that is somehow all too-hard for line-astern Supercars...
Mate seriously your dedication to this is comical.

You're talking to someone who sought out the racing and watched some of it, and I'll watch some more, but the pinnacle of motorsport it is not.

I like the look of the cars but they sound like ****.

They are too similar in specification and tyre wear doesn't seem to play into things, and FWD cars wearing their tyres leads to cars parking on the apex, which means the only way you can pass is outright smash and grab. Honestly people complaining about "bump and run" in Supercars... Get a load of what they let go here.

At least with V8s people can get loose or lose the rear end under braking and it does create some excitement when someone has pitted and has fresher tyres - an element which isn't in TCR racing.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3861919)   #148
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Mate seriously your dedication to this is comical.
Without anyone entering a HR35TT (J35 V6, twin turbo) powered Accord in Supercars (which would be much like Realtime Racing's neat spaceframe Acura TLX GT), there is little for a Honda fan to cheer for in local touring car racing!

Honda and JAS Motorsport are obviously heavily associated with touring car racing, but with the local 5.0L rules they haven't been represented in Australian touring car racing previously (only by the JAS-built Civics and Jazzes that raced in the Australian Rally Championship; and the odd privateer Accord super tourer). The TCR class is a good chance for them to get involved.

Quote:
but the pinnacle of motorsport it is not. I like the look of the cars but they sound like ****.
I agree. They are low-revving turbocharged four-cylinders, that's just what they sound like -- not good! What can you do? That's just how hot hatches are these days.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Nov 2018 at 06:21.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3861941)   #149
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
How much is the European manual market driven by distributor offering? Manual seems to be vanishing in NZ altogether, even in commercial vehicles too. I know of a truck fleet of around 600 with less than 20 manuals because they struggle to find drivers that can drive them.
Ask the fleet manager and I bet that is not the reason at all, the real reason is that fleet repair costs fall with autos, it is way less stressful to drive an auto truck and in general they give better fuel economy. I have driven both for many years so yes my view comes from long experience. You could not quantify how much stress is removed when driving a heavily loaded vehicle in traffic with an auto box.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3861945)   #150
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Ask the fleet manager and I bet that is not the reason at all, the real reason is that fleet repair costs fall with autos, it is way less stressful to drive an auto truck and in general they give better fuel economy. I have driven both for many years so yes my view comes from long experience. You could not quantify how much stress is removed when driving a heavily loaded vehicle in traffic with an auto box.
Sadly autos are actually cheaper to run long term as well because people can't break them like they can a stick...