Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Dec 2000, 17:37 (Ref:54083)   #1
Stuart
Rookie

Stuart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What does Allan McNish have to do to win the ALMS series? One place I read says he just has to start Adelaide to win, which seems strange. Another thing said he *just* has to finish, which is quite a challenge as the car could brake down etc. So which is right?
Old 24 Dec 2000, 18:09 (Ref:54090)   #2
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart
What does Allan McNish have to do to win the ALMS series? One place I read says he just has to start Adelaide to win, which seems strange. Another thing said he *just* has to finish, which is quite a challenge as the car could brake down etc. So which is right?
I believe that if Capello were to start and crash out or break before McNish were to get in the car, Capello could win the championship. At Mosport, Magnussen ran first and crashed and Brabham recieved no points in that race because he never got in the car.

Bob

Old 24 Dec 2000, 22:53 (Ref:54136)   #3
Splatz
Rookie

Splatz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad you've raised this.

I can't provide an answer I'm afraid, because I've still not worked out the scoring process. I've even worked out Nascar, but not ALMS.

Could someone please post a complete description of the points procedure for ALMS?
Old 24 Dec 2000, 23:23 (Ref:54144)   #4
BobN
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz
I'm glad you've raised this.

I can't provide an answer I'm afraid, because I've still not worked out the scoring process. I've even worked out Nascar, but not ALMS.

Could someone please post a complete description of the points procedure for ALMS?

Here are the points regs from ALMS:

"Championship points will be awarded in each series race to the top fifteen (15) finishers as follows:

1st 25 points, 2nd 21 points,3rd 19 points, 4th 17 points, 5th 15 points, 6th 14 points, 7th 13 points, 8th 12 points, 9th 11 points, 10th 10 points, 11th 9 points, 12th 8 points, 13th 7 points, 14th 6 points, 15th 5 points

In events of 6 hours/1,000 km. duration or longer, points will be awarded as above, plus an additional five points for each of the fifteen positions.

One bonus championship point will be awarded to each driver who leads the overall race for at least one lap. Additionally, one bonus championship point will be awarded to the driver leading the most laps. One bonus championship point will also be awarded to the driver in each class with the fastest race lap."

Here are is a link to the ALMS rules. Hope this helps.

http://www.professionalsportscar.com/competitor.htm

Also, check out the "TALK" section, there is a pretty active forum for sportscars.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

Old 25 Dec 2000, 05:22 (Ref:54158)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I understand, the car only has to start with McNish listed as a driver. Because McNish and Capello are in the same car, McNish only needs to be there. If McNish missed the race and Capello stayed in then he could win, but it is a mathematical chance. So therefore McNish only needs to start, and doesn't really have to drive.
Old 25 Dec 2000, 06:14 (Ref:54168)   #6
BobN
Racer

could be, but

Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
From what I understand, the car only has to start with McNish listed as a driver. Because McNish and Capello are in the same car, McNish only needs to be there. If McNish missed the race and Capello stayed in then he could win, but it is a mathematical chance. So therefore McNish only needs to start, and doesn't really have to drive.
Why did Brabham not get points at Mosport? He was listed as a starting driver but never had a chance to get in the car and got no points.

Bob

Old 26 Dec 2000, 03:43 (Ref:54261)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McNish won't get any points for starting, but by starting in the same car as Capello, it is impossible for Capello to score enough points to win.