Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1980492)   #26
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a pretty low move by Alonso IMO. On the other hand, it should make the rest of the season even more interesting - and I did chuckle a bit as well

Did anyone else notice during the press conference - when the interviewer asked Alonso about the delay, Lewis looked at him as if to say "Go on then, explain that away"
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1980493)   #27
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Total admission by Alonso that he can only beat Hamilton by cheating!

He'll be elsewhere in 08, mark my words. Not Ron's kind of driver!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1980494)   #28
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what this does show is that Alonso is cleary rattled by Lewis...

Lewis still looked very calm, unlike Alonso after last race...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1980495)   #29
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thought - If is is an offence to block on track - is it not an offence to block in the pit lane!!!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1980496)   #30
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry but that for me is as bad as what Schumacher did at Monaco last year. The only difference here is that Alonso was clever enough to act within the rules - in terms of sportsmanship it was right down there with Schumacher's actions.

Alonso clearly knew he wasn't on for pole, he could see Lewis had an advantage and this was his only desperate option to achieve it. It leaves a very sour taste in the mouth - some would argue it was clever but this is sport and that was completely against the spirit of fair play. Alonso may be on pole but I'm sure inside he can have no satisfaction at all - and the long term effects of his actions within the team could far outweigh his short term glory.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1980497)   #31
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Alonso had deliberately blocked Lewis on track, he would be penalised. Does the fact that this incident happened in the pits make it any less unsporting?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1980498)   #32
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocked and very disappointed in Alonso today. I thought he was above all that...clearly not

I was impressed by Lewis' smiley restraint in the press conference though, I would've been tempted to stick one on the nose of Alfonso (and I'm not referring to post-it notes or kisses).

Aside from the drama, Quick Nick was great again today.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1980499)   #33
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not fair sportsmanship but I thought it was very funny. It's set up a great race for tomorrow I feel. A lot of people on (both on and off here) moan about the F1 drivers being drones and corporates, but when someone does something a little against the grain, if gets slagged off.

More of this type of controversy - and less of the espionage type please!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1980502)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sneaky sneaky looks like LH learnt a new trick today.

well played Alonso, its a wdc after all so all's fair imo.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1980503)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 924nut
Not the kind of cheap move I would expect of a World Champion.
It's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from a World Champion. A sharp mind, and a completely ruthless will to win.

We've seen the likes of Senna and Schumacher toss sportsmanship aside in order to win, and now we've seen Alonso do it too.

Much kudos for James Allen for his instructions to Ted Kravitz - "Go on Ted, go on, stick the mic in there, go on, I would...get in there!"
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1980504)   #36
SLK55
Racer

England
SLK55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disgusting behaviour from a world champion. I hope Ron refuses to let him race and puts the test driver in for the remainder of the year !
Alonso sucks...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1980505)   #37
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Heh. Look at all the Lewis fanboys whining.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1980506)   #38
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competition time. Your challenge is to guess the Sun's headline on the back page tomorrow.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1980507)   #39
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I think it all started at the 1st stops where they called in Alonso a lap earlier than Lewis. Then held Alonso back and he was shouting down the radio (it looked like it anyway) then they held him back again later on so perhaps he was unhappy about losing "fuel burning" track time?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1980508)   #40
SLK55
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
We've seen the likes of Senna and Schumacher toss sportsmanship aside in order to win, and now we've seen Alonso do it too.
Doesn't mean its right though....
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1980510)   #41
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK55

Agreed, but I think it's great to watch.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1980511)   #42
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No, it's not cricket really, but as they say, all's fair in love and war.

Sets us up for an interesting start tomorrow anyway.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1980513)   #43
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc

Did anyone else notice during the press conference - when the interviewer asked Alonso about the delay, Lewis looked at him as if to say "Go on then, explain that away"
I noticed that as well.........Lewis was looking Alonso straight in the eyes for a few secs,the drivers never do that normally....no matter what Lewis said in that press conference,he's furious.

If Alonso delayed leaving the pit box deliberately........he's out of McLaren,Ron won't put up with that,and from Ron's reaction you've got to say Alonso is in big trouble.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1980514)   #44
SLK55
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotteh
Competition time. Your challenge is to guess the Sun's headline on the back page tomorrow.
Hamiltons guns blaze to sink the Armada !!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1980515)   #45
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I thought that little 'trick' was top value!

Good on Alonso heh heh.....

He knows full well the championship is on and the person he has to beat is Lewis - anything goes from now on!!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1980517)   #46
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
HAMILTON WINS TITLE - PRODRIVE SIGN ALONSO

You think Ronzo will allow Fred to get away with that without being put on sub-optimal strategies, before being replaced by de la Rosa for 2008?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1980518)   #47
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Heh. Look at all the Lewis fanboys whining.
At least us Brits have a driver up the front to cheer on - must be exciting the odd glimpse you get of Webbo...normally when he's breaking down!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1980519)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Disregarding your reduction of this to fans etc. Don't you think it is unsporting?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1980520)   #49
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't class myself as a Lewis fanboy (more an AD fanboy), and yes it was the sort of ruthlessness displayed by Senna and Schumacher, but it doesn't make it right.

But still, whilst Alonso was parking it I did feel rather amused for the briefest of moments, I must say. And it is definitely good to see that there is indeed a full blooded intra-team rivarly for the first time in ruddy ages!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1980521)   #50
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Disgusting behaviour from a world champion. I hope Ron refuses to let him race and puts the test driver in for the remainder of the year !
Alonso sucks...
He's not a world champion. He's street trash.