Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4062527)   #376
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did we see a sign at Silverstone that Mazepin is beginning to adapt to F1, and is learning how to manage tyres well?

'Schumacher wants to understand Mazepin’s tyre management advantage'

We as a team were trying to not overheat the tyres in the first three laps. And it seems like Nikita was pushing a bit harder in the first few laps and still managed to to keep his tyres in the window. So that’s something I’ll have to analyse why and how, because there was a lot of margin for me to go faster.

For me - definitely something to look for next time out, and if he continues to make progress then full credit to him.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4062529)   #377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s a better performance, but if it’s just a one off, then it doesn’t mean anything
Old 21 Jul 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4062531)   #378
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kwik Fit did the tracking better on Nicky Tamazapan's car?
Old 22 Jul 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4062620)   #379
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It's a concern that Mick is not substantially faster than Maz in the way that George Russell is over his paying team mate. On the other hand perhaps Maz is actaully quicker than we give him credit for?
Old 22 Jul 2021, 10:27 (Ref:4062649)   #380
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mick's a talented driver, but he's not on the same level as George.
Old 22 Jul 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4062655)   #381
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Until he gets into an even moderately decent car, it's difficult to tell....
Old 22 Jul 2021, 11:29 (Ref:4062658)   #382
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
It's a concern that Mick is not substantially faster than Maz in the way that George Russell is over his paying team mate. On the other hand perhaps Maz is actaully quicker than we give him credit for?
As far as I was aware Steiner classifies both Maz and Schu as pay drivers..... or as he put it, "both are there for their financial benefits". My belief was Ferrari were contributing towards Schu being employed at Haas (either by parts or $$$) plus Mick has personal sponsors bought to Haas to pay for his drive.
Grosjeab made no secret of the reasons why he and KMag were not retained, and it was simply Haas post Covid were not in a position to pay drivers a wage, and would need their drivers to bring funding.
The same financial reasons were behind the team deciding not to update last years cars beyond any safety additions mandated, saving any money for development for the 2022 'new regs' challenger.
Happy to be corrected.
Old 22 Jul 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4062707)   #383
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Schu jr brings plenty of budget to buy his drive.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4062823)   #384
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Until he gets into an even moderately decent car, it's difficult to tell....
I think its also true to say that Mick takes a couple of years to settle in.

Throughout his junior career this has always been the case. I would judge him on the results of his second or third year.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4062865)   #385
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not particularly relevant to Mick, but that is often a barrier to overcome. Sometimes we get so used to a hot-shoe like Max coming in and being good straight off that we expect that this is the only way.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 15:33 (Ref:4062872)   #386
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Not particularly relevant to Mick, but that is often a barrier to overcome. Sometimes we get so used to a hot-shoe like Max coming in and being good straight off that we expect that this is the only way.

Exactly, some like Max and George are special cases you see their talent straight away. Others bed themselves in as they learn more.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4062873)   #387
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder what a danger it is for Mick to be running with such a no hope team? I know that GR has had that to deal with for a couple of seasons, but his one outing with Merc was full of promise and the Williams is at least improving. A season with a really poor car isn't exactly going to enhance Mick's reputation and he needs to comprehensively beat his highly unrated teammate on every occasion.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 19:53 (Ref:4062908)   #388
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
I think its also true to say that Mick takes a couple of years to settle in.

Throughout his junior career this has always been the case. I would judge him on the results of his second or third year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
To the comments above. I agree some drivers just need to settle in. That just because they are not immediately quick doesn't mean they will never be quick. The problem is, with examples like Max (immediately quick), F1 teams are always looking for the "Next Big Thing"® so if driver X is not quick right away, they may tend to move him out of F1 quickly to try someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Schu jr brings plenty of budget to buy his drive.
And that comment above (which I assume is true) may be his saving grace. At least from the perspective of being able to slot into a team that is looking for a pay driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I wonder what a danger it is for Mick to be running with such a no hope team? I know that GR has had that to deal with for a couple of seasons, but his one outing with Merc was full of promise and the Williams is at least improving. A season with a really poor car isn't exactly going to enhance Mick's reputation and he needs to comprehensively beat his highly unrated teammate on every occasion.
Then this is the next question. You may have a secure seat, but is the car/team helping or hurting you? While not ideal, it may be OK to be in a slow car if the main problem is "just slow". Because at least you can build confidence, push the limits of the car and build experience. What you don't want is a car that is slow because it is a hot mess. If you can't trust it, you (and/or the team) are lost with how to setup the car from one event to the next, etc. Then you are not able to trust the car and learn. You are probably just doing your best to survive and not crash out!

I know that before the driver change at Haas, it seemed like the car was just unpredictable over the course of a weekend. Maybe it started the race fine, then the handling changed mid-race. Remember the stuff from 2020 in which there was discussion about problems with heat and the Haas and how it impacted the character of the car during a race?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ha...77867/4977867/

Was that fully fixed for 2021? If not, then the Haas might be a bit of a devil to drive. How much development is Haas doing with the current car vs. focusing on 2022?

Williams had similar issues in that they seemed to be lost with respect to the car, but they have continued to grind away at it and now we have George dragging it into Q3 where previously they were battling Haas for last on the grid! Hopefully Haas is given their drivers at least something they can have some level of confidence in and get experience during 2021.

Richard
Old 23 Jul 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4062919)   #389
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
To the comments above. I agree some drivers just need to settle in. That just because they are not immediately quick doesn't mean they will never be quick. The problem is, with examples like Max (immediately quick), F1 teams are always looking for the "Next Big Thing"® so if driver X is not quick right away, they may tend to move him out of F1 quickly to try someone else.

And that comment above (which I assume is true) may be his saving grace. At least from the perspective of being able to slot into a team that is looking for a pay driver.

Then this is the next question. You may have a secure seat, but is the car/team helping or hurting you? While not ideal, it may be OK to be in a slow car if the main problem is "just slow". Because at least you can build confidence, push the limits of the car and build experience. What you don't want is a car that is slow because it is a hot mess. If you can't trust it, you (and/or the team) are lost with how to setup the car from one event to the next, etc. Then you are not able to trust the car and learn. You are probably just doing your best to survive and not crash out!

I know that before the driver change at Haas, it seemed like the car was just unpredictable over the course of a weekend. Maybe it started the race fine, then the handling changed mid-race. Remember the stuff from 2020 in which there was discussion about problems with heat and the Haas and how it impacted the character of the car during a race?

Was that fully fixed for 2021? If not, then the Haas might be a bit of a devil to drive. How much development is Haas doing with the current car vs. focusing on 2022?

Williams had similar issues in that they seemed to be lost with respect to the car, but they have continued to grind away at it and now we have George dragging it into Q3 where previously they were battling Haas for last on the grid! Hopefully Haas is given their drivers at least something they can have some level of confidence in and get experience during 2021.

Richard
Credit where it’s due. Jos Capito has come in cleared out some
Of the cruisers and refocused - it’s not actually rocket science but needs people “who know” and don’t live on past glories. Here’s hoping. Bottas might return at just the right time!!?
Old 24 Jul 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4062944)   #390
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
I think the trouble with a driver that is not immediately quick (with some latitude for lack of experience ) is that the cars are seldom perfect and the driver needs to compensate for the issues that arise from race to race.

A Hamilton or Verstappen are quick everywhere and will do the best the car will do every week, somebody like Bottas will do a great job when they are completely comfortable, but are not there with absolute consistency.

Cars that are inconsistent and have evil tendencies like the Haas when its suspension system is heated, I feel fall beyond a driver evaluation envelope.
Still think Rogro and Magnussen were way better drivers than they are given credit for.
I also think that George is one of the once in a generation talents everybody is looking for, time will tell.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4073666)   #391
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yet more avoidable shenanigans again this weekend, with Mazepin penalised for crashing into his teammate.

I hate to think what is going to happen if next years Haas is actually quick enough for Mazepin to properly compete with other cars.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4073668)   #392
S griffin
Veteran

Mazepin has become as dirty, if not more, than his team mate’s father!
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:51 (Ref:4073676)   #393
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I hate to think what is going to happen if next years Haas is actually quick enough for Mazepin to properly compete with other cars.
Is there any way we can get Dan Ticktum into the other Haas? That way they'd likely take each other out before they leave the garage
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4073677)   #394
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When Mazepin's engine stopped. I was wondering if in the Haas garage someone flipped up the protective cover and pushed the "emergency stop" button for Mazepin's engine.

When you are driving around at the back, grid penalties just don't work well. Maybe someone just needs to take your car away from you.

Richard
Old 13 Sep 2021, 21:13 (Ref:4073719)   #395
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is there any way we can get Dan Ticktum into the other Haas? That way they'd likely take each other out before they leave the garage
And have the subsequent season of Drive to Survive be just about that one team, please.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4073773)   #396
S griffin
Veteran

Just seen a big shock, Mazepin is now out of the title fight thanks to his DNF! And worse he's 21st in the championship in a 20 car field!
Old 14 Sep 2021, 07:44 (Ref:4073774)   #397
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mazepin is 21st in the drivers championship. In a series that only has 20 car races.

Edit: we posted at the same time lol.

Amazing that Kubica did one race and that elevated him above Mazepin.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4073792)   #398
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a great tribute to a glittering career, 21st out of 20. Well deserved.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 11:43 (Ref:4073795)   #399
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just seen a big shock, Mazepin is now out of the title fight thanks to his DNF! And worse he's 21st in the championship in a 20 car field!

Is this the first time something like this has happened?
Old 14 Sep 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4073797)   #400
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Mazepin is 21st in the drivers championship. In a series that only has 20 car races.

Amazing that Kubica did one race and that elevated him above Mazepin.
Is it really an indication of how bad Mazepin is, or more a reflection on the car?