Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Jan 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3792164)   #1
danbrigham
Rookie

danbrigham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What your thoughts on Motorsport inspired watches?

Hi guys,

I'm keen to know, we all love cars/motorsport which almost naturally brings a love for wrist watches. For you what make a great motorsport inspired race watch and any example would be awesome. Would you even buy a motorsport/car inspired watch or stick to the classic dress watch?

Let the debate begin
Old 12 Jan 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3792211)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Loathsome things.Nobody under 40 even owns a watch- I'm much older but my 100quid Citizen just , well,sort of works.

And is there any sight more utterly tragic than some fat middle aged bloke sporting a Gulf logo'ed watch ( other overpriced Gulf tat is available) in the hilarious self delusion that they are exercising their inner Steve McQueen ?
Old 12 Jan 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3792250)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Loathsome things.Nobody under 40 even owns a watch- I'm much older but my 100quid Citizen just , well,sort of works.

And is there any sight more utterly tragic than some fat middle aged bloke sporting a Gulf logo'ed watch ( other overpriced Gulf tat is available) in the hilarious self delusion that they are exercising their inner Steve McQueen ?
Agreed; end of debate.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3792268)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me too

Utterly pointless and basically once you get guys like Piola selling his soul to put his name on them, you truly realise they are made for pence and the rest is profit.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3792282)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrigham View Post
we all love cars/motorsport which almost naturally brings a love for wrist watches.
I have to admit that's not a connection I'd ever considered (and given the responses so far I'm not sure that link is there!)

A watch is a thing to tell the time. Some look nicer than others (and I suspect one plastered with anything motorsporty would fall into the 'not very nice' pile)

I don't own a wrist watch.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3792328)   #6
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does a motorsport inspired watch tell you the time any quicker than looking at a cheap watch from the petrol station, or your phone? The answer is no so I'll keep the coins in my bank account.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3792447)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm, some opinionated stuff in here!

I like watches and make no excuses for being over 40 and one who doesn't want to tell the time just from my mobile. People seem to have those things permanently welded to their hands these days.... I have a decent number of watches that I rotate. The only vaguely motorsport linked watch that I own is a rather nice Marlboro chronograph that I bought second hand 2-3 years ago which keeps great time and looks quite good (I think - not that I give a tinker's cuss what anyone else thinks). If someone offered me a Tag Heuer Monaco I wouldn't say no, but nor would I pay £3k+ for one unless I won the lottery. I'm sure there are people who've posted in this thread already who buy things that I think are pretty daft/naff too..... (but then I also have a large collection of fountain pens as well.....). There really isn't anything wrong with 'each to his own' and we're all free to spend our money on whatever we like.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3792477)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We are

But sadly while there are people who will spend 3 grand on a watch (thats the low end of the market sadly), there will always be people who make them, rather than make something more interesting or engineer something unique and different.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3792479)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Matter of opinion though surely. A watch may not be interesting to you, but it may be very interesting and enjoyable to me or someone else. What makes something 'interesting' or 'different' is (and always will and should be) a matter of personal opinion and taste..... I detest TV soaps, tattoos and piercings (as a small sample of my personal dislikes) but there are people who spend large amounts of their lives watching them or spend large sums of money having them done.... It's their time and money.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3792484)   #10
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a big difference between a classic motorsport inspired quality watch (Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Daytona etc.) and a cheap quartz watch plastered in sponsor's logos. I have a 21 year old Rolex GMT (airline inspired not motorsport), I wear it everyday, it gives me pleasure and has doubled in value in three years (it also keeps excellent time). There seems to be people sneering at those who like to wear an expensive watch, yet who no doubt own and drive "silly" cars (I do also), perhaps they should all drive sensible Ford Fiestas.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3792487)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As I say, one mans' sensible' or 'desirable' is another man's 'you gotta be kidding!'.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Jan 2018 at 15:59.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3864436)   #12
1Zombie7
Rookie

1Zombie7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never really been interested in watches - but my wife wanted to buy me something for my 50th and we struggled to decide what.

She ended up getting me The C70 VW4 Chronometer has been inspired by the 1957 victory at Aintree of the Vanwall VW4 racing car that started with Tony Brooks behind the wheel and took the chequered flag with Stirling Moss in the driver's seat.

And I really like it - not flash but nicely engraved -
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3864443)   #13
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Watches but my son rarely wears one so he gave me a V8 Supercars inspired Watch. Fairly expensive and a name brand but not a nothing special.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3864989)   #14
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't owned a watch for the last 25+ years, why do I need one?

Both of my cars have clocks as does the Laptop i'm using to write this, and my mobile phone of course, add to this: television, cooker, microwave, bedside alarm clock etc.

P.S I'm 59
Old 27 Nov 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3866391)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm 61 and I have lots. I like watches. Period. It's my money..... (and none of them were expensive).
Old 29 Nov 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3866730)   #16
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I received for Christmas a couple of years ago an Omologato Hesketh watch which I love, people make scoff, they may not but I simply don't care.
Old 2 Dec 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3867471)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERSTEER View Post
I received for Christmas a couple of years ago an Omologato Hesketh watch which I love, people make scoff, they may not but I simply don't care.
Well said!
Old 3 Dec 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3867606)   #18
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I feel naked if I don't wear one. I'm 63 and proud of my 8 euro French Lidl model..
Old 3 Dec 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3867707)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I feel naked if I don't wear one. I'm 63 and proud of my 8 euro French Lidl model..
What's her name?

Tags
btcc, formula 1