Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:53 (Ref:856160)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think your point is well made. But do Alloy tanks comply with the latest MSA rules?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:856265)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
why wouldnt they Pete? mines ally, baffled and foam filled, if fits exactly as the original, but its a bit bigger, the only difference is that the filler is from the top so the pipes run inside the car (copper) rather than underneath, and the addition of a vent in the top as well.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:55 (Ref:856269)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't seen the new Blue Book so I'm asking the question. FT3 are foam filled "rubber" bag style tanks. And very expensive.

BTW. I run my fuel lines through the habitical but they are aeroquiop and the connectors are beyond the bulkheads. Not sure copper will suffice becuse in an accident they can split if flexed. You may want to check this.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:22 (Ref:856290)   #29
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes - agree they do seem very expensive - won't this just encourage people to just leave the standard tank in place - which if I understand this thread properly is allowable ? Surely an alloy tank along the lines of that mentioned earlier is better ? Or am I missing something?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:856291)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The problem with a standard tank is venting a spillage. Plus you can't foam fill it. So even if you do leave the tank as standard I'm not sure you can comply with the Blue Book.

I stand to be corrected on this.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:856302)   #31
Slowcoach
Racer

I see.......I wonder how they propose to police it because if they think I am going to drill out over 100 rivets take a look and some photos then replace all the panels, re rivet and repaint it they can think again....
How long have these FT3 tanks been around ? (sorry to be so ignorant)- thats assuming the right one is in there....

Last edited by Slowcoach; 30 Jan 2004 at 12:37.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:43 (Ref:856320)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
all my connections are flexible, its only the run through the cars cockpit which is solid copper so I think thats safe, the pump and regulator are in the boot, so can be cut before it passes through the bulkhead.

and likewise slowcoach . . . .god knows how many pop rivets are holding my firewall in, I dont want to tak e it out if at all possible !!!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:52 (Ref:856333)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
heres my tank . . .in the hole like the original, all connections are in the boot, firewalled from the cockpit, I cant see a safer way to do it without seriously modifying the car ???
Attached Thumbnails
tank-small.jpg  
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:00 (Ref:856341)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nice and neat.

Whilst mine would sit below the boot floor as standard I've go a similar set up to you. Then I've got a sealed cover over it (a sort of horizontal bulkhead). So I also think I'm safe. But I repeat I don't know what the Blue Book says this year. Can anyone advise please?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:28 (Ref:856376)   #35
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
I see.......I wonder how they propose to police it because if they think I am going to drill out over 100 rivets take a look and some photos then replace all the panels, re rivet and repaint it they can think again....
Hi,

Following a brief investigation, including a chat with the BARC, it would seem that;

1. The regulations are actually the same as last year with regard to this.

2. The regulation needs amending.. It's certainly not our intention to be too onerous with regard to the fuel tank regs and we'll need to deal with this formally.

So the short answer is, don't panic, it's a mistake which has actually been there for some time..

Cheers

Stacy
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:40 (Ref:856396)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks for that.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:50 (Ref:856410)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
phew . . . I just copied what I saw everyone else had done. but by designing my own tank and not spending as much money !

thanks Stacy
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:22 (Ref:856443)   #38
Slowcoach
Racer

Phewee indeed.....because funnily enough (or not actually) I did drill all those rivets out only last week and look at it because I had a problem!! I just didn't want to do it all again so soon. Thanks Stacy.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:43 (Ref:856515)   #39
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky escape...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 19:54 (Ref:856837)   #40
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean you are going to do the CT races then Jos?

At last I can put the fuel tank back in the car.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 09:53 (Ref:889853)   #41
Slowcoach
Racer

Back on the tank theme, I have looked carefully at my tank and it is indeed an FIA FT3 tank - imagine my relief, then I looked more closely to see that it is stamped "supplied to B.L. cars March 1980" - which is great as it adds to the provenence of the car (being 'works')- However it has started to leak so I called the manufacturer only to find out the following, most of you probably know this but for those who didn't - (and I am one of the ignorant ones.) It is illegal for the manufacturer to repair them although they can sell you a repair kit (a patch and some foul smelling and very dangerous glue) but most interesting of all is that if your tank is more than 7 years old it is deemed obsolete and if a scrutineer sees it he should not let you race. Mine is, or rather was, 24 years old - OMG - it is now out never to return! So the race is on to get a new one made and in by Rockingham, realistically.......that's if I can scrape together the very large price tag...........
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:51 (Ref:890304)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Slowcoach. I thought you were selling? Does this mean you've had a change of plans?
Old 2 Mar 2004, 08:58 (Ref:890997)   #43
Slowcoach
Racer

Well PM I put the car into the auction at the Historic Motorsport show and it didn't get near enough to what I am looking for and luckily I am not desperate to sell, although funds are much more limited this year, I plan to do selected rounds nearer to home. I have just registered and will try to get to the 'Rock' April 3/4th but more realistically I am aiming at Mallory - depends on the fuel tank situation. At least putting the car up made me do all those jobs that get left - mainly cosmetic of course! Will you be doing some more lightening fly/drive appearances?
Old 2 Mar 2004, 09:09 (Ref:891008)   #44
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about your specific regs but you can get foam cubes that you can squeeze into just about any tank...