Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2003, 01:23 (Ref:508221)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
One engine rule

This is starting to bother me.

I love the idea in theory, but I can't see it working in reality. The idea the manufacturers can showcase something else is wonderful, but won't the R&D of this make them spend even more money?

How do they police it? Whats stopping the teams replacing the engine?

And the penalties? I can't see away that if an engine fails, the penalty won't be too harsh (and thus effect the World championship unfairly) or so easy that it almost becomes worth it to blow an engine for the extra performance.

Also what about the teams currently purchasing last years engines like Sauber? Can they afford to buy a latest spec engine or will this send more teams to the wall?
Old 16 Feb 2003, 01:42 (Ref:508238)   #2
fousto
Rookie

fousto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will never work > Honda is trying to figure out how to change a engine during a pit stop!!
Old 16 Feb 2003, 01:57 (Ref:508244)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Policing it is going to be the hardest part - it's a great idea in theory, but so is communism. The costs of the engines will spiral...but compared to however many engines they bring each weekend - 4/5/6? I suppose the production costs will be greatly reduced.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 04:33 (Ref:508294)   #4
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie might as well scrap the idea and give every team $5 because thats all there going to save. An average manufacturer makes 200 engines a year, counting a bunch of blow ups in practice and qualifying the most thatll ever be raced is 50. Even if the 6gp/engine rule is enforced teams will still make at least 150 engines, then add engineers, R&D, facilities, dynos, electronics, and all that mess. Do the math, its a drop in the bucket.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 05:24 (Ref:508311)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: One engine rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Also what about the teams currently purchasing last years engines like Sauber? Can they afford to buy a latest spec engine or will this send more teams to the wall?
I wouldn't worry much about Sauber as Petronas are known to have buckets of money and they have scrapped the gp 250 yamaha factory engine team to concentrate on F1 and WSBK with Carl Foggarty.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 06:06 (Ref:508320)   #6
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its just moronic!!! the same thing will happen as if they had banned track testing. the only difference will be that instead of a million dollars worth of production, it will be half a million in production, and half a million in testing these engines to get the same performance out of them and still have them last the specified distance. And what parts can't u change? say the rule was a full season on one engine... why not just cast the engine block as part of the chassis and just rebuild it between sessions. The only change being a seriously more open job market for the mechanics who presently work in top feul dragsters rebuilding engines in 45 minutes

Last edited by avsfan733; 16 Feb 2003 at 06:10.