Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Dec 2000, 13:10 (Ref:54410)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Is it just me, or are the Mattel F1 models unaccurately modelled? It's just that when I look at my '99 Frentzen model, something seems wrong - I think the proportions for the chassis or something. Then when I look at my Minichamps Minardis they seem perfect.

There seems to be a noticeable difference in quality between the two major makers - and do Onyx still do the models?

Old 27 Dec 2000, 14:13 (Ref:54421)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Onyx gave up at (I think) the end of the 1997 season. I've got a Villeneuve Williams, and that's the newest Onyx F1 I've found. They concentrate on Touring Cars now, probably something to do with the royalties demanded by the teams.

When Mattel entered the diecast F1 grid about two years ago, they attempted to gain exclusive marketing rights, so that the choice was Mattel or nothing. Thankfully this hasn't happened because the Mattel models are by far the weakest of the big three manufacturers. They are closer to toys than scale models.

For real accuracy, though, I must bang the drum for the metal and resin kit manufacturers. Tameo kits and BBR kits are now quite widely available, and build up into little jewels. As an example of the difference, look at the barge boards. On a Minichamp, the plastic barge board scaled up would look like a six inch thick piece of armour plate on the real car. A Tameo will use a sliver of pressed, photo etched brass, wafer thin like on the real car.

And even if you're not experienced as a model maker, and a couple of your decals go a bit wonky, don't be disheartened - there are plenty of Minichamps in the world with dodgy markings, and you'll have the satisfaction of having built it yourself.

Go on - give it a try!
Old 27 Dec 2000, 22:23 (Ref:54480)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My one and only Mattel (Hotwheels) model was a freebie - I think a few other people from here have them as well The Hotwheels models seem to have much thinker paint etc than the Minichamps models.

I didn't know Mattel were trying to get the sole rights to producing the F1 models, I'm thankful that hasn't happened!

I have a few Minichamps models - no complaints about them. I've also got a couple of Onyx models, one a BTCC model which the paint is flaking off very badly and the other, a Hill Williams which I've only got because it came free with F1 Racing magazine - what's wrong with that one - well, it's only got one mirror!

I'd never try to make a model - believe me, if I did I'm sure it would be a lot more than the decals that would be wonky!!!
Old 27 Dec 2000, 22:31 (Ref:54482)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
There's something about the whole look of the Mattel models which screams CHEAP... They just aren't up to the quality of the Minichamps.

Thankfully I only have 1 Mattel car - the Frentzen one. I have one Onyx, a 1997 Katayama Minardi, soon to be joined by a '97 Trulli Minardi and a '97 Herbert Sauber, also Onyx.

As for Minichamps, I have Gene's 2000 and 1999 cars, plus Tuero's 1998 car.

Minichamps are definitely overall the highest quality.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 10:28 (Ref:54531)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a fair few models. Mostly Minichamps and Onyx (and its various brandnames). Oh, and one Mattel freebie.

Of the 3, Minichamps are by far the best and as Onyx now centre on Touring Cars and historic F1 cars and anything except current day F1 cars, they won't be beaten soon.

As for exclusive rights...Mattel have the exclusive rights to Ferrari, Jordan and I think Jaguar. Actually, just look through a Minichamps catalogue and which ever teams you don't see, Mattel have the exclusive rights for. Remember, Mattel own the rights to all uses of the Ferrari Prancing Horse for everything that isn't part of a Ferrari car.
Old 7 Jan 2001, 13:48 (Ref:57018)   #6
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Minichamps models are the best, i'm amazed of the detail of the winning Mclaren from 1999 (MIKE HAKKINEN)
The best i've got is the le mans Audi R8 prototype and BMW LM Prototype from Maistro.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 11:24 (Ref:57316)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I knew it... I was closely inspecting my newly-arrived Minichamps Katayama Tyrrell from 1995, because I was certain something was wrong... Then I spotted it - the left mirror is MISSING!!!???!!! Needless to say, a phonecall is being made today...

Old 11 Jan 2001, 21:56 (Ref:58069)   #8
Yogi
Rookie

Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Models

I'm a big 1:43 scale collector, although I haven't purchased any recently. My main die-cast collection is Minichamp, with some Onyz. I've managed to get most of mine from Toy Fairs as it seems a reasonable way to collect. Not all, but some toy-fair dealers don't really know what they're selling. I bought Alex Wurz in a 197 Benetton which was from his 3rd place at Silverstone in 1997 for £12'50. When I looked it up in the Motorsport Collector magazine it was worth £50.00 then, more now. I also bought Michael Schumacher in the Jordan 191 for £16.00, now worth nearly £70.00. Keep an eye on your local toy fairs, its well worth the effort going.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 10:24 (Ref:58131)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also have a 1:18 scale 1971 Moffat Falcon and a 1972 Brock Torana. The Falcon is now worth about $1000 but I'm not selling it.