Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Jul 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2720713)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would you do a Rallycross World Championship?

Hi, I've been keeping an eye on Rallycross for sometime now and following the threads on the WTCC, Le Mans, and F1, I'm quite curious to see what would happen if the FIA was to suddenly annouce a Rallycross World Championship?

Now I know Rallycross isn't as spread as it once was, but noticing the interest in the USA, and the strong support it gets here in Europe, if in the next decade or two, someone starts organising a World Championship for Rallycross. How would you do it?

Here's a few ideas:
  • Would there be one class or more classes?
  • What sort of car regulations would be used?
  • Would there be heats?
  • How large would the grid be?
  • Would there be a round of ice racing? (Expand your audience?)
  • What sort of tracks would you be looking at?
We may never have a World Rallycross championship, but there's nothing stopping you playing around with a few ideas.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2720735)   #2
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as European RX is far from being VERY good I’m not interested in a World series!
And most deffo not in a fake World Championship with 9 rounds in Europe and 1 in the US!

Anyone here to remember the FIA recognised IRSI ice-racing World series? Dead as a dodo within no time!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2720794)   #3
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe, there is an alternative to an FIA sanctioned series. X Games isn't an FIA event and neither are the three US events this year.

While Detroit may not be what it once was this is still a huge car buying market and everyone wants a sport that shows their "boring" little cars, such as the Fiesta, in the best possible light to a US audience.

You may be surprised at what options are available to compliment and NOT replace the ERC. Rallycross as it is today could never afford a World Series so don't try and change the format (DTM in the 80's is a great example of death by distance). Just watch as the year progresses.......

Now to see a Subaru - literally - fly in the hands of Sverre!

Mark
www.williamsrallyracing.com
Old 1 Jul 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2720813)   #4
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, but I did make this thread as a "What if" sort of thing. I know that the chances of a Rallycross World Championship are virtually impossible, but I felt by tossing up an idea like this, we would maybe get to see some peoples views on how they would do a Rallycross series.

Just a bit of fun.

(Dang, I shoud of made this thread; "How would you do your own Rallycross series?" but sadly I can't edit my first post.)
Old 1 Jul 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2720850)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
WRC, IRC, ERX and Rally America / X Games drivers should be invited. Super 2000 or World Rally Cars.

I would beging with a Rallycross World Cup (RXWC) with three to five races, not more than two thirds of them in Europe. I'd love an ice race. The United States track could be X Games-like, New Jersey (as in 2010) or a modified dirt oval. Only when the cup takes flight I would make it a true championship with more races. How about a Japanese round in one of those drifting tracks? The Argentines would love a race too in Córdoba or Buenos Aires.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2720861)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Here's how I would do it:

I would use either Divison 1 cars or something based off the new S1600's going into the WRC. There would be no restrictions on how old the car is as long as it follows with the regs.

I would have about 12 races...
  1. Australia
  2. Japan
  3. Russia
  4. Sweden
  5. France - (Ice Racing stage)
  6. Scotland
  7. Brazil
  8. Argentina
  9. USA
  10. Canada - (Ice Racing stage)
  11. England
  12. Belgium
...with the calendar designed to include traditional areas with new locations with the intention of introducing the sport in the countries.

I would have heat style racing, drivers could enter one round if they wished. (In the same way the WTCC has guest entries.)

The joker lap would be in the tradional races, but not ice racing stages.

(Yeah, it's pie in the sky, but thats how I would do it. A chocolate pie with whipped cream, and marshmallows on top. Wait, that sounds sickly ¬_¬')
Old 2 Jul 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2721099)   #7
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think an alternative to compliment Rallycross is more feasable. If the FIA took it world wide they'd doubtless want to run under the banner of their new world engine scenario. You'd end up with competitors running rally cars which kind of takes the edge of it. Rallycross may have started as an off shoot of rally but it's now a well established sport in it's own right.

It's fine running it to rally regs if you are trying to establish the sport as in what they appear to be doing in the US this year but not for a World Championship in it's own right. I personally find rally cars dull as dish water these days and wouldn't really be interested in watching Group N's and S2000's race. You need to have bespoke regs and the sport standing on it's own two feet with it's own stars. Failing that run it as one off events under a different banner for rally cars and do things like an event on ice etc. If you attracted the local rally stars it'd probably be a commercial success, bring in the punters and be worth doing.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2721161)   #8
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
If I was to do S2000 spec cars, the one thing I would do before anything else would be to get a more powerful engine in it. As the WTCC is proving with the regs, when they're boring, they're very boring. I really love the look of the new cars going into the WRC, they're small and remind me of buggies, but they need to be more powerful. The Fiesta's that were run in the X-games is how they should be done.

But the one major advantage that division 1 has that its already wide spread and you would have an established grid.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2721165)   #9
dcdesign
Racer

Belgium
Oostmalle, Antwerp
dcdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The X-games fiesta's were already de-truned rallycross D1 cars