Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Sep 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3927182)   #51
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I want to go and have a look at the vintage aircraft (I'm quite an avgeek) so that's one diversion I'll definitely take. I'm not sure how much of the other off track stuff is worth a look? I guess some of that continues after racing has finished for the day anyway as the site is open quite late.
Through the pedestrian tunnel to the infield and the left round the back of the main paddock, the aircraft displays are always worth a look.

Thanks - that's useful, I won't try that then! Is it all race paddocks that are off limits or only some of them?
No just the main paddock where a lot of the more expensive/rare cars are, the F3, GT's and saloons are usually very accessible as are the bikes.

I'm up for a walk so that's no issue -
Needless to say really but walk round anticlockwise starting at Woodcote and you won't be bending your neck!

Lucky man! This is the first time I'll have been to the revival (and only then courtesy of a gifted ticket).
First time in 5 years that I forked out for a ticket - I've been lucky enough to receive a weekend pass in recognition of charity work on the Friday so this year it"s Sunday only for me, have fun! Oops! don't know what I did there
Old 10 Sep 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3927192)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Are there any "must see" things off track? (Other than the race paddocks) I'm trying to make a rough plan of what to see as there's so much going on (always a problem at Goodwood!)
If you like old planes and they are still having the concours for them, that is definitely worth a visit. Entry into inner paddocks is usually members only (which you may be, of course), and gents have to wear jacket and tie, but you can still walk round the outside of them. The outer paddocks are free to roam.

So many side shows inside the circuit, but just as much going on the other side of the road! One day not enough to see it all...

Edit- sorry for repetition of other posts....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 10 Sep 2019 at 16:24. Reason: Whoops
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3927195)   #53
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an option.
Attached Thumbnails
AfficheCircuit_2019bdf-11.jpg  
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3927196)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3927207)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it’s on the HRT calendar at the top of the page, so no excuse for anyone not knowing it’s on!

Sadly seems no tenthers except Peter (retrognome) heading that way this year, a situation not helped by Goody, Spa etc......
Old 10 Sep 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3927210)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I have had some brilliant weekends racing Ramparts . Got a podium one year and the biggest trophy ever . Happy days .
Old 11 Sep 2019, 05:40 (Ref:3927272)   #57
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not going this year, Goodwood never my lucky circuit, back in the mid early sixties never managed to race there, E type always failed scrutineering, one particular scrutineer took a dislike to me ,then stuffed the 26R just befor the chicane and and didn't bother after that, this year left it too late for the tickets but have a Mike Hawthorn parking ticket if any one has a pre 1966 car and doesn't want to walk miles give me a call.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3927295)   #58
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to whether the racing live stream will be free to view, their YouTube channel is ready and waiting, but no idea if a GRRC subscription of some sort will be required...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SA6Ki8b0Ul8
I've been informed that the live stream will be free to view for non GRRC members
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3927309)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Horses for courses really . . .all the histrionic 'events' have their pro's and cons. And in period they all had different races. Being predominantly a club racing circuit, Goodwood had a very broad church, although it still amazes me how many cars they invite that didn't race in period. LMC is a very well defined arena.

Goodwood do look after entrants very well, but its more work to play ball and do it all, properly.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3927325)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I've been informed that the live stream will be free to view for non GRRC members
Beat me to it! Seems it’s just the Members Meeting that is exclusive.....
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3927338)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Seems it’s just the Members Meeting that is exclusive.....
Perhaps this Free live streaming for all is a spin off from all the flak Goodwood copped over the prior events members only approach.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3927345)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Perhaps this Free live streaming for all is a spin off from all the flak Goodwood copped over the prior events members only approach.
To be fair, the MM was always supposed to be an exclusive members only event, whereas joe public can still buy tickets for the Revival and FOS. Restricting the live stream was added as part of that exclusivity.

On the other hand, I could be talking ********
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3927464)   #63
spike8888
Rookie

spike8888 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival

Hi
Finally got tickets after years of trying!
Where is the best place to park and where is the best place to spectate from?
Many thanks
Steve
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3927466)   #64
spike8888
Rookie

Hi
I have posted this elsewhere but can anyone advise where best to park and where best to spectate from.
many thanks
Steve
Old 12 Sep 2019, 00:53 (Ref:3927507)   #65
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ive raced all of them except Monterey and from my competitor point of view the Revival wins hands down. You are invited with no entry fee, whereas LMC is HOW MUCH? Spa6 going the same way.

Its a big show much of it only loosely to do with motorsport but Charlie March does it better than anyone else. All the extra attractions over the road and around the circuit make all the others pale even the OGP. Oh and despite what many say fewer replicas being raced

I prefer Spa as a circuit, I love racing at night at LMC (although not exactly a testing circuit in a slower car) but Goodwood is special.

Nevertheless as a punter I can understand the cost is high, the viewing could be better and unless you have paddock access via a GRRC member you dont get to see the cars close up.

Pit 300 in an Iso if anyone wants to say hello
Old 12 Sep 2019, 05:09 (Ref:3927516)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8888 View Post
Hi
I have posted this elsewhere but can anyone advise where best to park and where best to spectate from.
many thanks
Steve
Hi Steve, I’ve moved your question here as it will hopefully attract the attention of the right people and we won’t be duplicating answers. If you read back through the thread there are suggestions from experienced Goodwood attendees about spectating spots.

As for parking, presuming you haven’t got a specific pass to take you into a dedicated area, you just follow the signs from whichever direction you approach from. The car parks are specific to which point of the compass that is, and signs start many miles back! Expect quite a hike to the pedestrian entrance unless you get there really early, but from memory in previous years there have been shuttles for those needing assistance.

Enjoy!
Old 12 Sep 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3927519)   #67
8en
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
8en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
Well Ive raced all of them except Monterey and from my competitor point of view the Revival wins hands down. You are invited with no entry fee, whereas LMC is HOW MUCH? Spa6 going the same way.

Its a big show much of it only loosely to do with motorsport but Charlie March does it better than anyone else. All the extra attractions over the road and around the circuit make all the others pale even the OGP. Oh and despite what many say fewer replicas being raced

I prefer Spa as a circuit, I love racing at night at LMC (although not exactly a testing circuit in a slower car) but Goodwood is special.

Nevertheless as a punter I can understand the cost is high, the viewing could be better and unless you have paddock access via a GRRC member you dont get to see the cars close up.

Pit 300 in an Iso if anyone wants to say hello
Got free tickets this year so said I’d take my old man. He’s been to all the big events but not Goodwood! We shall see what he thinks.

I’d love to have a look at the Iso. A car on the entry list that intrigued me. I’ll shall pop over and say hello tomorrow..
Old 12 Sep 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3927520)   #68
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi
Many thanks
Steve
You will not usually have any choice of where to park but be prepared for a fair old walk. We all have our favourite spots but for me the best are the exit of Madgwick, the first part of St. Marys and between the Chicane and Woodcote grandstands although this gets very crowded. Well worth walking all round the circuit, especially if you are there for two or three days. Even though parts of the paddock are restricted you can still get close to all the cars and the assembly area and it is full of wonderful things. Get in there early though, it gets very busy later. Despite the size of the crowd most of the banking , beyond the start finish straight, is often quite quiet and the viewing is excellent
Old 12 Sep 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3927527)   #69
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hi
Many thanks
Steve
Definitely walk round the track. There is transport (tractor pulled trailers) from Woodcote to Madgwick with stops en route. You might need to queue at busy times. The programme comes with a radio or take your own (87.7FM usually) and there are big screens at various points.

Have a look at the snappers guide on pistonclick to give you an idea what you can see from where. All photos taken from public areas.https://www.pistonclick.com/goodwood
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3927535)   #70
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
. There is transport (tractor pulled trailers) from Woodcote to Madgwick with stops en route.https://www.pistonclick.com/goodwood
For a horrible moment I imagined tractor pulling had been added to the programme to "pull" the crowds Now that would really wind up the purists!
Old 12 Sep 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3927581)   #71
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
For a horrible moment I imagined tractor pulling had been added to the programme to "pull" the crowds Now that would really wind up the purists!
Don't give 'em ideas ! Although that might be the only motorsport not to feature at the FoS yet ...
Old 12 Sep 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3927600)   #72
spike8888
Rookie

Goodwood Revival

Thanks everyone for your input re parking/spectating.
Regards
Steve
Old 12 Sep 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3927618)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Team Delta all set up scrutineering all done . Funny first Scrut came alone and complained about the oil in engine tray on our first 500. Oil !!!! I said that’s nothing to what it will look like after Qualy . Shrugged his shoulders and gave me the ticket . Happy days . We had a long day and were late getting into camp site .Marshal said it’s chock a block down there . Very nice lady put me in VIP parking . Last story . I was parked behind old double decker bus and the owner says are you on display as well . 😀😀😀. Good old Delta truck .
Old 13 Sep 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3927678)   #74
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much for no replicas at Goodwood with the 250 GTO replica on pole for Kinrara race.

Livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA6Ki8b0Ul8
Old 13 Sep 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3927700)   #75
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So the grumpy Ulsterman is on pole for the Pre War Single Seater Race
Odd as it’s been polished and two new tyres since last years race!