Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Nov 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3942209)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
smoke & mirrors; *anyone* can get a free eyetest at Specsavers

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/free-eye-test
Not every day of the year, according to the blurb..... But at my age, no problem!
Old 22 Nov 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3942211)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I have! All the usual spin and bolleaux. A regurgitation of what's been there for a year or two, with a bit of tinkering around the edges. They actually admit up front that the measures previously taken have arrested the fall in race licences so it's difficult to see what problem they are trying to solve.
Certainly appears to be no attempt to get organisers to collaborate on calendars so event clashes are avoided, nor any appraisal of all the series and championships to see if a gentle culling would produce better sport (bigger grids) and less pressure on finding sufficient officials and marshals. I guess that's in the 'too hard' tray.
Still, new executives have to be seen to be doing something don't they. Emperor's new clothes anyone?
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3942267)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems that our instance is just realizing the national HTP's are not expensive enough, so lets go for an increase in prize! Clothes plus Louboutin shoes…
Old 23 Nov 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3942365)   #29
gilduffy
Rookie

gilduffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm It seems that Medicals for International licenses are valid for a year, according to the MSUK web page

Renewal of International Licences

Your previous medical examination is valid for 12 months and can be used to renew your licence, provided that your application is received and processed before the 12-month validity period expires. The expiry of the 12-month validity period must be beyond 1st January 2020.

But National license medicals only last 3 months.
Is National racing more detrimental to your health then?
Old 23 Nov 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3942379)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilduffy View Post
Hmm It seems that Medicals for International licenses are valid for a year, according to the MSUK web page

Your previous medical examination is valid for 12 months and can be used to renew your licence, provided that your application is received and processed before the 12-month validity period expires. The expiry of the 12-month validity period must be beyond 1st January 2020.

How many National licence holders compared to International?

Although why getting people to pay annually for a medical is of benefit is not clear. Is there some possible recompense involved?
Old 23 Nov 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3942381)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilduffy View Post

You’re interpreting it wrong. Read 10.1.1. “The licence must be issued within 3 months of the date of the medical.” That’s not the length of time the medical is valid for. In other words, you can have your medical up to 3 months before applying for a licence. The length of time the medical is then valid for varies according to age. (Also in 10.1.1)

International licence holders have to have a med every year, and it’s valid for 12 months. BUT, if you had a med in Jan this year, and apply for next years licence now, it is still valid, as it’s less than 12 months from issue. So you can get two seasons from one med if you play the system....
Old 24 Nov 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3942523)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's get this in perspective. The rise is less than the cost of of the fuel to get to the channel port for our next adventure. For £155 or whatever it is we have access to a regulated, standardised, broadly level playing field with high safety standards. Most of us here would get back from a good night out and find that much missing from our wallets without a qualm.

Racing drivers get an awful lot in their sport FREE. Marshals, organisers, officials, club personnel - most do it for fun. Race meetings don't just happen. How fair is it that they incur expenses, early starts and long days just so we can enjoy ourselves? If by paying a little extra we can help reward them with training, expenses and a professional organisation then it's worth it. Someone has to pay for it, why shouldn't it be the end user?

We've been cosseted by a bargain basement governing body for 100 years. And we've done nothing but moan about said governing body. Maybe by paying a more realistic rate we'll get all those changes that we've demanded. If anyone can do it, Dave Richards can.

Remember two things - motor racing isn't compulsory and it's still cheaper than Belgium!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Nov 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3942527)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Remember two things - motor racing isn't compulsory and it's still cheaper than Belgium!

Who wants to buy Belgium?
Just Spa maybe,.....
Old 24 Nov 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3942554)   #34
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Who wants to buy Belgium?

Just Spa maybe,.....
Ooops! Maybe that should have said IN Belgium.

Old 24 Nov 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3942580)   #35
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Discovered at the CSCC AGM today, that the MUK fee that each club pays for each and every competitor that signs on has risen from £21 to £33. No end of year rebates for clubs going forward either. That rebate was worth about £9k in previous years.
All costs are rising.
Old 24 Nov 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3942599)   #36
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Max you've either been out of racing for far too long or you had too much last night and are still befuddled! Comments inline in blue.

Quote:
Let's get this in perspective. The rise is less than the cost of of the fuel to get to the channel port for our next adventure. (plus the £12 per race rise in the MUK 'permit fee') For £155 or whatever it is we have access to a regulated, standardised, broadly level playing field with high safety standards. (we had that this year too, but without the 50% increase in price) Most of us here would get back from a good night out and find that much missing from our wallets without a qualm. (the reason I can afford to race is because I don't blow £155 on a night out)

Racing drivers get an awful lot in their sport FREE. Marshals, organisers, officials, club personnel - most do it for fun. (not free - the latter 3 are all fully paid jobs covered by club membership fees, series/championship registration fees, and event entry fees; even the marshals are both paid a bit and given freebies by clubs like MGCC & CSCC) Race meetings don't just happen. How fair is it that they incur expenses, early starts and long days just so we can enjoy ourselves? (because they enjoy it too and treat it as a hobby, same as us) If by paying a little extra we can help reward them with training, expenses and a professional organisation (that already exists, provided out of current budgets) then it's worth it. Someone has to pay for it, why shouldn't it be the end user?

We've been cosseted by a bargain basement governing body for 100 years. And we've done nothing but moan about said governing body. Maybe by paying a more realistic rate we'll get all those changes that we've demanded. If anyone can do it, Dave Richards can.

Old 24 Nov 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3942613)   #37
midgetman
Veteran

Thought that my usual Devil's advocate stance would provoke some fun.

Definitely not all the MSUK officials and club organisers are full time paid jobs with freebies on top. Down in the dirty end there's still a lot of volunteers working for expenses only, or the love of the sport, they need supporting.

Yes I agree we had all the advantages of regulated sport last year at £50 less. As usual when someone offers something at a cheap price, there's a lot of discontent when a realistic price is charged. The current price was unsustainable according to what I've heard.

Bet you do spend £155 on a night out at a concert Food, drinks, tickets, travel...it all adds up.

Now, MSUK have made their objectives pretty well known and if they don't achieve them at this increased price, then we can hold them to account.

Old 25 Nov 2019, 00:21 (Ref:3942636)   #38
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although no longer a licence holder (though I was for almost 50 years) it seems to me that MSUK have played a bit of a sleight of hand here. The need for a medical has been removed (up to the age of 60) thereby saving competitors around £100 or more per year which went to the medical profession, not MSUK. They then increase licence fees by a hefty whack which does go to them.
We all know that the sport must be made cheaper for youngsters/newbies but I must question some of the spending by MSUK on liaison persons for this, that and the other, etc.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 06:08 (Ref:3942690)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You’re interpreting it wrong. Read 10.1.1. “The licence must be issued within 3 months of the date of the medical.” That’s not the length of time the medical is valid for. In other words, you can have your medical up to 3 months before applying for a licence. The length of time the medical is then valid for varies according to age. (Also in 10.1.1)

International licence holders have to have a med every year, and it’s valid for 12 months. BUT, if you had a med in Jan this year, and apply for next years licence now, it is still valid, as it’s less than 12 months from issue. So you can get two seasons from one med if you play the system....
Quote:
Let's get this in perspective. The rise is less than the cost of of the fuel to get to the channel port for our next adventure. For £155 or whatever it is we have access to a regulated, standardised, broadly level playing field with high safety standards. Most of us here would get back from a good night out and find that much missing from our wallets without a qualm.

Racing drivers get an awful lot in their sport FREE. Marshals, organisers, officials, club personnel - most do it for fun. Race meetings don't just happen. How fair is it that they incur expenses, early starts and long days just so we can enjoy ourselves? If by paying a little extra we can help reward them with training, expenses and a professional organisation then it's worth it. Someone has to pay for it, why shouldn't it be the end user?

So glad I live where I do. 😂😂
As for getting two years out of your medical, I thought everyone knew of that trick? It was taught me around twenty years ago by non other than BSS himself. 😀
Old 25 Nov 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3942691)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
As for getting two years out of your medical, I thought everyone knew of that trick? It was taught me around twenty years ago 😀
It’s not even a trick- MSUK or MSA as were have always volunteered the information if you didn’t already know.

Suggestion to anyone not clear on what they need in their particular case- just pick up the phone and call them.......
Old 25 Nov 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3942702)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

This is and was my understanding . . . and was confirmed by the MSA/MUK early this year . . . . did all my stuff in Feb this year, so will be renewing this week and good to go for next season. . .
Old 25 Nov 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3942705)   #42
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I think more to the point is that this (self-appointed, remember) so-called regulator wants £155 for a licence and then £xx from every single race entry.

This adds up to millions each year and yet they actually do very, very, very, very little for the average racer.

I’d go so far as to say they are totally unfit for purpose - and always have been old boy!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3942707)   #43
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
This adds up to millions each year and yet they actually do very, very, very, very little for the average racer.
Which they freely admitted when they rebranded from the MSA. They said the focus was going to switch from helping an elite group who were paid to race to helping the majority of their license holders who are basically people who pay for their own entertainment.

They are in the very early days of that restructure so I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt (especially as I know how much insurance costs in general are increasing) and see how the next couple of years goes.

I do find it quite sad how vocal many are being over what is essentially a small increase in the grand scheme of things yet every club meeting I go to the cars get more and more expensive and the trailers/motorhomes/crews get bigger and bigger.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3942717)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I do find it quite sad how vocal many are being over what is essentially a small increase in the grand scheme of things yet every club meeting I go to the cars get more and more expensive and the trailers/motorhomes/crews get bigger and bigger.
Whilst this is very true, I don't think anyone on this thread is in that category. However, I also think, like you, we need to see what comes out of this.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3942731)   #45
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

You mean apart from organisation of race meetings, timing systems, training personnel, over-seeing marshals, sourcing insurance, ensuring a level playing field, driving safety standards allowing you to undertake your dangerous sport in the knowledge that these days there fewer people die racing than running...

...yes, yes, but apart from all that what have the Romans ever done for us?

Old 25 Nov 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3942732)   #46
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one thing about the increases which may be considered as a slight of hand by MSUK in connection with the considerable increase in the National Grade Licence. Over the years this has become a means of competing overseas without the additional costs and medical requirements of an International Licence. I admit I have taken advantage of this. Could it be that someone has realised that it would be simple to take advantage of this to gain additional income but still keep it below the cost of an International Licence?

Pete Richards
Old 25 Nov 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3942803)   #47
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
You mean apart from organisation of race meetings, timing systems, training personnel, over-seeing marshals, sourcing insurance, ensuring a level playing field, driving safety standards allowing you to undertake your dangerous sport in the knowledge that these days there fewer people die racing than running...

- which race meetings that clubbie racers enter do MUK 'organise' ?
- which timing systems do MUK provide ?
- which personnel do MUK train?
- how do MUK justify having different safety standards than the FIA ones? (is an accident at Thruxton or Donington safer than Spa or Zandvoort?)
- do marshals need more oversight than the specific marshals clubs already provide?

£4.5 million in fee income buys a lot of insurance!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3942831)   #48
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You seem to be mainly on about the clubs, and certain individuals.

Not sure MSUK have done much at all for me - mainly just take money and give it someone to else.

Last edited by JohnMiller; 25 Nov 2019 at 22:47.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3942888)   #49
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
May I point out that very few MS UK registered officials get paid or even get expenses, just a few at the top of the tree dealing with professional events. I've been a Clerk (speed and rally) and now a steward and I have never been paid. Like most people running club events (I am also the sec of a club of over800 members) I might take some fuel money but nothing else. As a steward I can claim mileage and accommodation if its a long trip from MS UK.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3942889)   #50
midgetman
Veteran

Yeah well I used to think the same thing as MGD and JM, but when you race outside of MSA regulations regularly you appreciate what you are paying for. There's nothing wrong with the "independent" racing we do, you just notice little things that wouldn't happen at MSA and you realise that the "licensed" infrastructure works rather well. And yes it is worth paying for.

OK maybe you can nit-pick holes in the words in my post. But I stand by the intent - apart from building the infrastructure for fair, consistent and safe racing throughout the country and beyond, what have the Romans ever done for us?

And before anyone points out inconsistencies in my argument from a few years ago - yes I've changed my views. Life does that to you sometimes - you go outside your comfort zone and your perspective changes.