Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Porsche's best win
1970: 917K. Herrmann, Attwood 3 20.00%
1971: 917K. Marko, van Lennep 0 0%
1976: 936. Ickx, van Lennep 0 0%
1977: 936/77. Ickx, Haywood, Barth 1 6.67%
1979: 953 K3. Ludwig, Whittington, Whittington 0 0%
1981: 936. Ickx, Bell 0 0%
1982: 956. Ickx, Bell 0 0%
1983: 956. Schuppan, Holbert, Haywood 0 0%
1984: 956. Ludwig, Pescarolo 1 6.67%
1985: 956. Ludwig, Barilla, Winter 1 6.67%
1986: 962C. Bell, Stuck, Holbert 1 6.67%
1987: 962C. Bell, Stuck, Holbert 0 0%
1994: Dauer 962 Le Mans. Dalmas, Haywood, Baldi 0 0%
1996: TWR WSC-95. Reuter, Jones, Wurz 1 6.67%
1997: TWR WSC-95. Alboreto, Johansson, Kristensen 1 6.67%
1998: 911 GT1-98. Aiello, McNish, Ortelli 2 13.33%
2015: 919 Hybrid. Hulkenberg, Bamber, Tandy 4 26.67%
2016: 919 Hybrid. Dumas, Jani, Lieb 0 0%
2017: 919 Hybrid. Bernhard, Hartley, Bamber 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Oct 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3935864)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Porsche 24:19

So which was the best of the Porsche Le Mans wins? They've won over 21% of the races so there are plenty to chose from!

What makes the win great? They pummeled the opposition, it was close, they had a great fight back, the car was cool, the driver was legendary, it was my first year? What is your reason?

Overall wins only Privateers and factory cars. Think cool wins rather than pedantic what is a Porsche
Old 20 Oct 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3935873)   #2
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1997, the Porsche that should not win and became the foundation of the greatest Le Mans driver to date.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3935878)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
1985, my first year and the first sight of amazing cars racing at an amazing circuit, Got hooked on Le Mans so if you work out how much i have spent following the cars since then i could probably have entered a team that year for that sort of money.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3935883)   #4
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
1977, Ickx' finest
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3935884)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The 1970 Win. The first overall victory at LeMans for Porsche. Although the 917 had been developed from the flawed machine that debuted in 1969, and had won the Daytona 24 Hours earlier in the year, there had to be question marks about how it would do in France. The questions were answered.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3935894)   #6
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought there was a successor of the wonderful book 24:16 in the making, so I was a bit disappointed to find out the true contents of this thread
Old 20 Oct 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3935897)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought there was a successor of the wonderful book 24:16 in the making, so I was a bit disappointed to find out the true contents of this thread
I saw it sat there on the bookshelf and it inspired the thread
Old 21 Oct 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3935966)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The first couple of years with votes are:

Old 21 Oct 2019, 03:50 (Ref:3935991)   #9
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
1997, the Porsche that should not win and became the foundation of the greatest Le Mans driver to date.
Hmmmmmm.....I haven't seen Jacky's name listed anywhere as having done even one stint in the car......

jimclark
Old 21 Oct 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3936009)   #10
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Hmmmmmm.....I haven't seen Jacky's name listed anywhere as having done even one stint in the car......
I will let the statistics speak for themselves
https://www.driverdb.com/head-to-hea...vs-jacky-ickx/
Old 22 Oct 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3936262)   #11
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I will let the statistics speak for themselves
https://www.driverdb.com/head-to-hea...vs-jacky-ickx/
There is a difference between greatest and most successful.......See Jim Clark in F1

Sean
Old 22 Oct 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3936304)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have a favourite or 'best' Porsche win. I haven't really analysed those that occurred before I started going. I'd probably say 1970 simply because that was the year the film was made and the only time that my late father went to Le Mans. I discount the imposter GT win in 1994 and probably the '16 and '17 wins that were downright lucky. 1998 perhaps?
Old 23 Oct 2019, 00:19 (Ref:3936329)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I liked the 1994 win. I just liked the car and wanted one.

I think the 1996 one is a good one. They say to win Le Mans first you have to beat Porsche and that is exactly what it did, it beat the two works GT cars! I was also a fan of that car too.

But I know what you mean and the first win is iconic.

You can’t rule out the recent ones too, the competition was strong.

There were some beautiful looking cars in the ‘70s, and some stories, but also some pretty dull wins. Hey, ho, you get that. The ‘80s was the real dominance period, but low on competition, it you have to like a 956/962.

Old 23 Oct 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3936454)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

You can’t rule out the recent ones too, the competition was strong.

'16 and '17 you can in my mind. Astonishing (nigh on unbelievable) luck in '16 and not far off being beaten by a P2 in '17.....
Old 23 Oct 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3936458)   #15
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I'm not going to vote.

I would probably say 1996 but for the wrong reasons.
I was only 12 in 1987, so all up to and including that one I've only read about and not really experienced, so I can't comment on those.

1996 was probably the first Le Mans I saw for extended periods on TV.
Previously my parents never let me watch the race but for limited periods because the race was always right in the middle of exams/tests at school.
No such thing in 1996, so I was free to watch

I liked that car too, I still have a miniature of it on my book shelves
Old 23 Oct 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3936473)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
'16 and '17 you can in my mind. Astonishing (nigh on unbelievable) luck in '16 and not far off being beaten by a P2 in '17.....
That’s fair. The races were similar to some of the earlier wins. Although often beating another Porsche.
Old 24 Oct 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3936545)   #17
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I discount the imposter GT win in 1994
It never ceases to amaze me how much stick the Dauer 962 LM is receiving from you. Yes, it is a Group C car with a numberplate stuck to it, and some turning signals, but is an opportunity created by the rules at that moment and Norbert Singer and co. were there to see that opportunity and act upon it.
On the other hand, one of your favourite Le Mans cars is the Toyota GT-One, which is also precisely that, a thinly disguised Group C car with a numberplate stuck to it. Luggage space? Nah, you can stick your suitcase in the fuel tank! https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...UJF7QHETWRoqnQ
And what about this dry-weather qualifying windscreen wiper? Doesn't seem very roadlegal to me!
https://thumbsnap.com/7M9uRf7h
Old 24 Oct 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3936556)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i loved group C and any chance to see those wonderful cars being used as they were intended is always good, To those of us of a certain age the era of the porsche 956/962 and the big jags will always be fondly remembered.
Old 24 Oct 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3936561)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how much stick the Dauer 962 LM is receiving from you. Yes, it is a Group C car with a numberplate stuck to it, and some turning signals, but is an opportunity created by the rules at that moment and Norbert Singer and co. were there to see that opportunity and act upon it.
On the other hand, one of your favourite Le Mans cars is the Toyota GT-One, which is also precisely that, a thinly disguised Group C car with a numberplate stuck to it. Luggage space? Nah, you can stick your suitcase in the fuel tank! https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...UJF7QHETWRoqnQ
And what about this dry-weather qualifying windscreen wiper? Doesn't seem very roadlegal to me!
https://thumbsnap.com/7M9uRf7h

I accept my view is probably not entirely justifiable Vince, however it is coloured by the fact that probably 75% of the people at Le Mans that year really wanted the Toyota to win in the memory of Roland Ratzenberger. Apart from that, the GT One was a simply dreamy car designed to exploit the GT rules rather than an out and out Group C racer just tweaked to fit. I rest my case.