Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Oct 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3934689)   #1
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Start at 4pm instead of 3

According to AUTOhebdo, the start of the next 24 Hours will be given at 4pm instead of 3 as usual since 2007. This change would give more time for pre-race activities on the track.
Good for our meeting, less good for some people who have a long way back home.

Not officially confirmed yet.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3934691)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, this was mentioned in the mailings I received from the LM tourist office.
Thought this was strange and checked on https://www.fiawec.com/en/race/show/4643 where it still says R(ace) 15.00???
Edit: But the countdown clock counts to 16.00 hrs.
Don't like it, I prefer 15.00 hrs.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3934704)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Don't like it, I prefer 15.00 hrs.
Same, the fatigue really sets in during those 'run to the flag' final hours on Sunday afternoon. That said, it'll be interesting to see what pre-race activities they schedule, I'm thinking hypercar presentations maybe...?
Old 15 Oct 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3934707)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought that the 'traditional' start time was 4:00? I remember that it was occasionally brought forward an hour so as not to interfere with stuff like World Cup football, but when did it change to 3:00?
Old 15 Oct 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3934709)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that the 'traditional' start time was 4:00? I remember that it was occasionally brought forward an hour so as not to interfere with stuff like World Cup football, but when did it change to 3:00?
It's been a 3pm start since 2007.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3934711)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Another pain in the xxxx from the aco
Old 15 Oct 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3934712)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would be useful change were it to be used properly, ie extending the RTLM race to 2 Hours (thus axing the non-broadcasted Thursday race) or bringing the Legends race back (Masters Endurance Legends thank you), but probably the reason is just jamming in more useless parade VIP laps and other public relations demos
Old 15 Oct 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3934727)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they brought back the pre-race parade of drivers along the main straight (I always loved that), then fine by me. As we don't have a long journey after the race, I'm not so fussed, to be honest..... I'll be a nodding dog by then whether it's 3 pm or 4 pm...... Now, if the ACO could somehow add a couple of extra hours of darkness to racenight, that would be good!
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3934752)   #9
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Another pain in the xxxx from the aco
Do you mean some bread in beer ?
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:17 (Ref:3934861)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
It's been a 3pm start since 2007.
OK, thanks for that. It has been a very long time since I've been to the race, I was a regular at one time...
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3934871)   #11
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
OK, thanks for that. It has been a very long time since I've been to the race, I was a regular at one time...
Well, the clue was in the first post , I was actually surprised myself how long it's been, but it's correct. I'd happily bring the start forward by another hour, I think the race benefits from running the maximum number of hours in daylight on the Saturday, there is generally more incident and excitement early on. Once dawn breaks on the Sunday morning, that feeling of the race being nearly over for another year begins to set in...I'd happily shorten the Sunday run to the flag. I'm not much of a traditionalist, in terms of the start time, those Saturday morning support races are of little interest, unless they have a Le Mans specific association.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3934874)   #12
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree. Sitting around in your chosen spot for the start for hours on end is not all that interesting. An extra hour isn't going to help.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3934877)   #13
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting one ........ Spa 24 Hours doesn't start until 4.30pm and I always feel that this leaves too little running in the daylight on Saturday - -would much prefer to see, say, a 2.00pm start or maybe even mid day just to give as much Saturday running as possible.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3934892)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Well, the clue was in the first post , I was actually surprised myself how long it's been, but it's correct. I'd happily bring the start forward by another hour, I think the race benefits from running the maximum number of hours in daylight on the Saturday, there is generally more incident and excitement early on. Once dawn breaks on the Sunday morning, that feeling of the race being nearly over for another year begins to set in...I'd happily shorten the Sunday run to the flag. I'm not much of a traditionalist, in terms of the start time, those Saturday morning support races are of little interest, unless they have a Le Mans specific association.
OK I suppose we can all look at things in a different way depending on how we feel. It always used to strike me at Le Mans (and the long gone Willhire) at 8 AM there were still 8 hours (a working day) to go before the end. Whenever the race starts/finishes a 24 hour endurance race is exactly that.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3934905)   #15
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
A 4 pm start would make the 2020 Worldwide Known Traditional Ten-Tenths Meeting more leisurely
Old 16 Oct 2019, 10:07 (Ref:3934909)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I thought that the 'traditional' start time was 4:00? ...
The best bit about the change to 15:00 was the press release which said "the new Tradional Start Time is now 15:00".
Old 16 Oct 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3934965)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Would be useful change were it to be used properly, ie extending the RTLM race to 2 Hours
Great way to send everyone to sleep prior to the main event.

Agree with you on adding some historic stuff again though.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 21:13 (Ref:3935058)   #18
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Good safety car practice though.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3935061)   #19
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Agree with you on adding some historic stuff again though
Really? P3 is just as sterily spec and proam as P2 is (in fact there might actually be more variety in it than P2 next year with the upgraded cars) and GT3 is... GT3, whether one likes it or not. How is that more sleep inducing than spec Ferrari Challenge / Porsche Cup / AMR Festival support race, or parade laps from street cars

Anyway yes MEL is what is actually needed... Or even Peter Auto's version of it

Last edited by Deleted; 16 Oct 2019 at 21:39.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3935072)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What year was it they moved it due to the French elections?
Old 17 Oct 2019, 00:30 (Ref:3935086)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What year was it they moved it due to the French elections?
84 and 07
Old 17 Oct 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3935268)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Pretty profoundly unimpressed by this idea, as I suspect will Mrs ISynge be - I'll echo the comment that if they want to shift the start time moving it earlier rather than later is absolutely the thing to do.
Really not sure 2020 is looking as appealing as it's done in the past.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3935390)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Really? P3 is just as sterily spec and proam as P2 is (in fact there might actually be more variety in it than P2 next year with the upgraded cars) and GT3 is... GT3, whether one likes it or not. How is that more sleep inducing than spec Ferrari Challenge / Porsche Cup / AMR Festival support race, or parade laps from street cars

Anyway yes MEL is what is actually needed... Or even Peter Auto's version of it
I think RTLM is more interesting that the Ferrari and Aston stuff certainly. Variety is one thing (and I respect that you value that a lot), but my biggest issue with the races is they are just thoroughly unimpressive to watch trackside. The driving talent skews waaaaay towards the AM side of the spectrum.

I think the best support race I remember in my nine years was the 2014 Carrera Cup event. And I think a lot of that boiled down to the driving talent on display that day.

Found this video when Googling the year - https://youtu.be/olEYg62Y7RQ

When I was watching that it felt like it actually mattered who won it.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3935391)   #24
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
84 and 07

And, if I remember correctly, it was brought forward a couple of weeks in 1986 in order to avoid a clash with, IIRC, the French Open Tennis. That was useful since my children were all at school in those days and the new date coincided with school holidays.

Back in 1968 the race was delayed until the end of September following "political unrest" in France. In 1936 it was cancelled completely thanks to a general strike in France (not that I remember it personally)
Old 18 Oct 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3935394)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I also prefer the RTLM event. The Aston's are a complete turn-off for me and we tend not to bother to watch the one-make stuff unless we happen to be 'resting' in a grandstand or getting set up for qually at the time. I said before I'm not all that fussed, but yes, I'd certainly be in favour of an earlier rather than later start.