Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Mar 2023, 05:52 (Ref:4149444)   #501
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Im sure most are aware of the newly released doco ‘Villeneuve Pironi: Racing’s Untold Tragedy’.... I know it is or was shown on Sky last week. Its a full length movie. just over an hour and a half.

Anyway for those without that (Sky) luxury it is now on youtube, I dont know how long it will remain on for so get in quick.....
Sorry the youtube link got pulled. However if anyone here would still like to watch the movie I have it stored so just drop me a PM and I will PM you a link and access.
Old 28 Mar 2023, 06:59 (Ref:4149451)   #502
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
A mate sent me this and asked me if I knew whats going on with this weeks Cortinas.

I'm awaiting confirmation it has a chromed Jag IRS rear end and buttoned velvet interior.

Attachment 76779
All kinds of funny things going on with those at the moment but I would say those that are trying to take the **** aren't those up front to be fair. Interesting to look at those, and the way they are being put together now. Certainly, super touring has thaught us a lot since Jimmy and 1964!
Old 28 Mar 2023, 07:36 (Ref:4149453)   #503
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah May date . Yes to Hockenheim .FJ cars
Thanks Delta - MGDavid also. With a bit of luck & strong following wind I might see you in Hock.

Enjoy Mugello. Went there once for ITC many years ago!
Old 28 Mar 2023, 08:54 (Ref:4149460)   #504
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Had an enjoyable day with the HRDC at their Goodwood track day yesterday. As usual I struggle to get my head around St Mary's in but made a bit of progress, although I wasn't looking at the timing screen in the car, nosirreeee.

Good to catch up with Justracing (Richard) and Zef.

Lots of familiar faces out to play including Simon Drabble in his recently acquired Capri. Tim and Ken Clarke will be running their Dolomites in the Member's Meeting and Tiff N turned up to try out a Cortina.

Chatted to a team who run a MG YB. Don't see too many of those on track.

Great weather helped make it a really good day.
Old 28 Mar 2023, 15:56 (Ref:4149499)   #505
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing the subject, anyone who like me spends their lives on the roads can't fail to notice their abject state, and this winter has been very very unkind.

Devizes and Bromham are worse than the pavé of the Paris-Roubaix, and even recently re-surfaced trunk roads are just crumbling away on the black top. Maybe the bean counters in the local councils have employed nefarious "we've got a load left over from doing a drive down the road" characters to do the top dressing. It's not just one rogue council, everywhere I go it's the same story.

We've hardly had any frost this year, what would it be like in a bad winter?

Nah humbug!

Fillingless of Bromham

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2023, 16:02 (Ref:4149500)   #506
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here in the Emerald Isle, glad I've got a 4x4, mind you it's stopped the 'Boy racers' with their lowered suspension and wafer thin tyres, they've all learnt the hard way.
Old 28 Mar 2023, 16:21 (Ref:4149503)   #507
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Max we have almost the same situation here but more in towns and suburbs. We have a lot of troubles those days, strikes and lot of people demonstrating their dissatisfaction, as you know by your TV channels. Because finding gazoline or diesel is a real struggle I went for Métro and bus… What a bad idea. I dont know who designed our buses suspension but the feeling is the same as in any african country if not worse! Pauvre France as they say… in Essex!
Old 28 Mar 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4149504)   #508
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
He's on the way to Mugello right now so response might be slower than usual
I see 356 is on the forum, are you en route to Mugello, Will? Ready?
Old 28 Mar 2023, 20:21 (Ref:4149524)   #509
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I see 356 is on the forum, are you en route to Mugello, Will? Ready?
Dad and Team Mother are en route with the car, I fly in like some prima donna on Thursday morning demanding that the seat be warmed for me!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 29 Mar 2023, 07:18 (Ref:4149544)   #510
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Dad and Team Mother are en route with the car, I fly in like some prima donna on Thursday morning demanding that the seat be warmed for me!!!
I asked PA to put you in the Pro-Am category! Ta!
Old 29 Mar 2023, 07:33 (Ref:4149549)   #511
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I asked PA to put you in the Pro-Am category! Ta!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 29 Mar 2023, 17:30 (Ref:4149615)   #512
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain sent me this pic of his journey to Mugello

The poor Marcos looks a bit sleepy to me. It's probably not used to such long journeys...
Old 30 Mar 2023, 07:33 (Ref:4149656)   #513
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
First come, first served! Is the rear suspension an IRS? I assume the engine is a B18 Volvo, said to be bulletproof. Wont sleep for long.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 11:13 (Ref:4149666)   #514
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is the rear suspension an IRS?

Thats what they started with, according to this article on the Marcos 1800GT

http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/MARCOS_1964.html

Whether there is something different homologated who knows.....

The document linked above does end with the words
Quote:
Marcos policy is one of continuous improvement and the company reserves the right to alter specifications without notice.
December, 1964

Iain will put us out of our misery and tell us..

EDIT: A bit more detail on the building and development of the car here from the Marcos Owners Club.
https://marcos-oc.com/models/1800.html

Last edited by E.B; 30 Mar 2023 at 11:34. Reason: Secondary link added
Old 30 Mar 2023, 14:17 (Ref:4149687)   #515
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Perfetto, signore! I had in mind that a live axle was homologated and two different chassis too. All in all good looking car.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 14:23 (Ref:4149690)   #516
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Only drove a Marcos once, which I recollect as having an Essex V6 ? I remember I seemed to be very low down, peering over a nose that disappeared out of view.....

Didn't drive it far!
Old 30 Mar 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4149709)   #517
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Marcos 3000 GT in this case, Richard.
Old 31 Mar 2023, 00:03 (Ref:4149733)   #518
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Changing the subject, anyone who like me spends their lives on the roads can't fail to notice their abject state, and this winter has been very very unkind.

Devizes and Bromham are worse than the pavé of the Paris-Roubaix, and even recently re-surfaced trunk roads are just crumbling away on the black top. Maybe the bean counters in the local councils have employed nefarious "we've got a load left over from doing a drive down the road" characters to do the top dressing. It's not just one rogue council, everywhere I go it's the same story.

We've hardly had any frost this year, what would it be like in a bad winter?

Nah humbug!

Fillingless of Bromham

Totally agree Max.

Surfaces just seem to be giving up and turning to gravel around here.

We have a lot of house building going on so heavy trucks going along roads that have been subject to works for the installation of water pipes, electric and, presumably, even some gas.

But mostly I think it's down to the weight of modern vehicles and their safety features, the preponderance of SUV's and a sudden eruption of Tesla model 3s locally.

There is no way that the Govt's promised few hundred million will make a difference and the authorities seem to have no intention of fixing anything road-related, even missing and damaged road signs go unfixed for years around here. I doubt they will care if people stop driving anywhere.

I also doubt that they have any chance of finding people to undertake the work -at least to a satisfactory level of competence.

JSB's new pothole repair vehicle should make them a fortune - but probably will not.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4150022)   #519
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Had an enjoyable day with the HRDC at their Goodwood track day yesterday. As usual I struggle to get my head around St Mary's in but made a bit of progress, although I wasn't looking at the timing screen in the car, nosirreeee.

Good to catch up with Justracing (Richard) and Zef.

Lots of familiar faces out to play including Simon Drabble in his recently acquired Capri. Tim and Ken Clarke will be running their Dolomites in the Member's Meeting and Tiff N turned up to try out a Cortina.

Chatted to a team who run a MG YB. Don't see too many of those on track.

Great weather helped make it a really good day.
An interesting array of cars as always, and good to see you Peter.
The only Cortina I saw loooked like an older prep. It seemed to be circulating well enough in competitive times circa 2011. Car of the day for me was the white GTA. Very nice indeed.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 08:30 (Ref:4150025)   #520
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just out of my curiosity, is a MG YB a car from the 50's?
Old 2 Apr 2023, 08:35 (Ref:4150026)   #521
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
An interesting array of cars as always, and good to see you Peter.
The only Cortina I saw loooked like an older prep. It seemed to be circulating well enough in competitive times circa 2011. Car of the day for me was the white GTA. Very nice indeed.
Hmm I liked the big Jag mk v, it's like driving your 3 piece suite.

Gerard, yes the YB was early 50s. https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guides/saloons/mg-yb-saloon
Old 2 Apr 2023, 08:56 (Ref:4150030)   #522
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Basically a saloon T Type Gérard. Although I'll be drummed out of the MG Car Club for saying so.

Back in the 70/80s a chap called Frank Vautier raced one in MGCC and T Register events. Made a lot of noise and always fun to see it leaning over the T Types on the corners.

Old 2 Apr 2023, 09:10 (Ref:4150037)   #523
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm I liked the big Jag mk v, it's like driving your 3 piece suite.

Gerard, yes the YB was early 50s. https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-gu...s/mg-yb-saloon

Reminds me of the Riley saloon that our family had in the fifties, although ours had been on a long wheelbase with a stretched body. It was purchased to replace a previous Daimler stretched saloon which had seating for 8.

On one journey to the Adriatic coast, there were nine of us, and as the youngest I had to sit on a Smiths Crisps square tin all the way there and back without even a cushion on the top! For those that don't remember or know what those tins were, they were used by Smiths to contain the crisp packets for sale to wholesalers and then use to display the crisp packets in retail shops. Like so many things back then, a deposit was paid and then refunded on return, and the only flavour available was plain but the packet also included a twisted blue paper full of salt!
Old 2 Apr 2023, 09:58 (Ref:4150043)   #524
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merci pour vos réponses, Peter et Max, will go to bed less stupid and ignorant as they say in Belgium.

Interesting link, Peter, which reminds that your car industry was second to none. Mind you that for instance Peugeot made its unique model 203 from '49 to '54 and the flagship 403 from '55 to '66 in various bodies. Nothing to see with your prolific production…
Old 2 Apr 2023, 10:03 (Ref:4150048)   #525
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I guess you had the same poor jokes about the "Mother-in-Law seat" found on the ol' pre-war speeders… Place de belle mère en français.
Closed Thread