Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Dec 2021, 04:15 (Ref:4090629)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVG needs a rivalry

With McLaughlin gone for many years until he may come back one day and SVG on a march to many more titles for the good of the sport and for SVG himself who is the likely main man to go up against him consistently like the big rivalries we have seen over history?
Brock/Moffat
Brock/Johnson
Brock/Grice all Holden battles
Skaife/Lowndes
Skaife/Ingall
Murphy/Ambrose
Bowe/Seton
Skaife/Ambrose
McLaughlin/Whincup

Personally I’m disappointed that we have missed the potential rivalry between him and McLaughlin right now with both drivers potentially at or very near their peaks. I can only echo Skaife’s recent astute observation on this fact. I wish their careers could have intersected for longer than they did. Also their approaches seem very similar with a flair and effortless efficiency in the way they go about their crafts which makes it even more interesting. Also important is the idea that SVG just wants to race and race hard so a rivalry he can get his teeth into would be just the ticket for the series long term. Clearly a most brilliant and naturally gifted driver who can literally drive and win in absolutely anything. Like Jim Richards and Allan Grice.

Last edited by Mattracer; 20 Dec 2021 at 04:28.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4090637)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Option B of course might be that SVG does a Scotty and seeks to further his career O/S.

I know he has said he is more than keen to get back to doing his overseas jaunts in GT3 and Intercontinental GT and has mentioned he is particularly keen on pursuing any opportunities in the World Endurance Championship when it switches from GTE to GT3 regulations in 2024. I know he signed a contract extension early last year but not sure that was much beyond end 2022.

Im sure he wont quit V8's pre having a go at Gen 3 but his longer term aspirations seem beyond V8SC. As he has said WEC in 2024 is high on his wishlist. There was recently an interview in Autosport outlining how much he has missed / wishes to get back to European Racing as soon as travel gets more derestricted. ATM his priority is contractually V8SC, but by 2024 who knows where his mind will be.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4090681)   #3
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattracer View Post
With McLaughlin gone for many years until he may come back one day and SVG on a march to many more titles for the good of the sport and for SVG himself who is the likely main man to go up against him consistently like the big rivalries we have seen over history?
A certain C. Mostert.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 21:12 (Ref:4090758)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rivalries mentioned were either media beat-ups, or driven by manufacturer and team politics.

Personally, I think they're cheesy. Same goes for the Ford/Holden BS. Give it a rest.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 23:26 (Ref:4090771)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
At certain points in the history there has been several drivers slugging it out at the top, not just two?

The early to late 80's you had Brocky, Gricey, Big Jim, Dicko, Moff, LP, Farmer George, Seton and Longhurst taking wins and points off each other.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 06:46 (Ref:4090797)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The rivalries mentioned were either media beat-ups, or driven by manufacturer and team politics.

Personally, I think they're cheesy. Same goes for the Ford/Holden BS. Give it a rest.
Personally I think i was watching drivers going against one another often but not always in opposing brands. If you think they were media beat ups then whatever- you still saw them race each other and who cares how it started. You watched it… that’s the point. Btw that’s a rivalry. Look it up. They were usually Holden and Ford. There’s a fact. So if you think it’s cheesy I say it’s facts and the highlights reel will keep on playing “cheesy” or not. Remember it’s entertainment and mobile advertising value. Those sustaining dollars go where the action/value is.
Anyway.. what’s your answer to the question? Who’s emerging as the most likely consistent challenger to SVG?

Last edited by Mattracer; 21 Dec 2021 at 06:54.
Old 21 Dec 2021, 23:16 (Ref:4090909)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
AdP, Cam, Brown, or perhaps more likely it will be Brodie I reckon?
Old 22 Dec 2021, 02:26 (Ref:4090925)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
AdP, Cam, Brown, or perhaps more likely it will be Brodie I reckon?
All of the above plus Mostert.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 16:56 (Ref:4091005)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoever takes on SVG, needs to show him they are out to play for keeps.

Maybe give SVG a bit of his own medicine with a little bit of panel rubbing, turn him around mid corner or run him wide.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4091066)   #10
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the irony is, when someone races SVG hard, he claim it's just bad driving and unsportsmanlike behaviour. When he does it, it's all okay, "just hard racing." I mean, SVG is a great driver but I've never liked Triple 8'd hypocrisy.