Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Mar 2023, 13:27 (Ref:4149119)   #1
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ETCR 2023

https://bit.ly/42Ek67o

Looks like the series’ future is in doubt. Had honestly not even noticed there were no calendar or driver announcements yet
Old 25 Mar 2023, 13:48 (Ref:4149125)   #2
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Discovery/Eurosport were a terrible promoter anyway, so any series would be better off without them.
Old 25 Mar 2023, 14:01 (Ref:4149126)   #3
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You would have to say that’s probably it for this series

Difficult to watch not a fan of the noise of the cars sounds like a load of screaming banshees but they did look pretty good

Also the format to the weekend was boring and often a struggle to keep up
Old 25 Mar 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4149164)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
“Over recent months, there have been extensive discussions around the next phase of the series, including its sporting and regulatory format as a priority. In particular, recognising the importance of further integrating the traditional Touring Car DNA within the series to create the best stage for electric car racing. One with a packed grid that maximizes the appeal to fans, manufacturers, and drivers.

Despite the efforts made by all parties to finalise the new sporting and regulatory framework that meets the needs of the manufacturers, the necessary conditions could not be implemented in a satisfactory manner ahead of launching a full season.”
My bold, but I think that sums up the problem. I tried to watch in the first year (2021) but the format of time trials and 'races' with 2 or 3 cars just didn't do it for me. I've no idea if it got any better last year as I'd lost interest by then.
Old 25 Mar 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4149168)   #5
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
My bold, but I think that sums up the problem. I tried to watch in the first year (2021) but the format of time trials and 'races' with 2 or 3 cars just didn't do it for me. I've no idea if it got any better last year as I'd lost interest by then.
Yep same, in all came across as too gimmicky. Shame, as the driver quality was very good and the three ‘manufacturers’ / entrants looked great too.

Wonder how the STCC will fare - if ETCR goes it’ll be leading the way for electric touring car racing now.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4149403)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Format was okay to get the series of the ground but in the second season they should have moved to a regular racing format with at least 12 cars. And instead of a standalone event stould have made it a support series of WTCR.

The cars on track didn't look bad. I prefer them over Formula E.

Will be interesting to see how STCC evolves. On paper it looks more interesting than ETCR.

Last edited by FIRE; 27 Mar 2023 at 18:15.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4149407)   #7
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The cars on track didn't look bad. I prefer them over Formula E.
That's the thing, the cars were actually quite enjoyable to watch (not hear, sadly), if there were more of them and a 'normal' racing format then it could be quite an interesting championship. Otherwise too gimmicky and I had little to none interest in that.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 23:45 (Ref:4149732)   #8
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see 2 logical directions. The manufacturers involved could go ahead and organise the series themselves (wasn't that how British F3 once worked in the 00s?), or they could sit down with STCC and form a universal eTouring car rulebook with a proper "international" touring car series. All the equipment is there, the underlying premise is interesting and its an important development for the future. Be a shame to waste it all and it would really suck for an independent group like Romeo Ferraris that put a hell of a lot work into competing with works VAG and Hyundai entries.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 12:08 (Ref:4150256)   #9
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
I see 2 logical directions. The manufacturers involved could go ahead and organise the series themselves (wasn't that how British F3 once worked in the 00s?), or they could sit down with STCC and form a universal eTouring car rulebook with a proper "international" touring car series. All the equipment is there, the underlying premise is interesting and its an important development for the future. Be a shame to waste it all and it would really suck for an independent group like Romeo Ferraris that put a hell of a lot work into competing with works VAG and Hyundai entries.
Don't forget about the rights holder WSC Group.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 09:05 (Ref:4150470)   #10
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame it hasn't worked

I saw the last season and I thought the series has some potential but the format was too gimmick and not so original... basically a rallycross format on track. Nah...

To be a real touring car series they should have adopted a less "twitchy" format.

The problem however was the poor manufacturers involving: only Cupra and Hyunda. Romeo Ferraris was and interesting but indipendent entry.

It seemed more of a experiment of all sort rather than a real proposal of electric touring car racing.

And I fear it will end in nothing...

Now let's wait and see for the new DTM Electric
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:31 (Ref:4150502)   #11
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM Electric is still far away - if happens at all. As long as DTM was under ITR's (and Berger's) control, there was a big push towards DTM Electric. Now, with ADAC taking over nothing is too certain. They're open to that but money is king.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4150616)   #12
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agree. Sound like Discovery wanted a full-fledged touring car format with a big number of cars but there was no sufficient manufacturer interest.

Lotti (or Ribeiro, do not remember to be honest) once said that ETCR cars cost like highly expensive TC1 cars. Guess the TV ratings were poor (just like social media streams) and contributed to negative ROI.

Wonder what happens next with ETCR, will WSC going to try and restore the championship or focus on hybrids from 2024 and then gradually evolve into electric racing from petrol TCR.