Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2020, 04:15 (Ref:4000155)   #1776
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Any truth to the rumour (i just started) that clair and frannk are moving to Marinello? She will look nice in red..
Considering the budget limitations Williams has had, and the relative performance of the two teams, Claire and Frank would be a significant management upgrade at Marinello.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 10:21 (Ref:4000186)   #1777
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Interesting that the new owners wanted Claire to stay on. They obviously do value her
Old 5 Sep 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4000196)   #1778
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting that the new owners wanted Claire to stay on. They obviously do value her
Just playing Devils Advocate here but maybe they just wanted her to help with the transition by continuing to work full time (instead of part time which is what she is apparently going to do)?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 11:05 (Ref:4000202)   #1779
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Oh God I really will have to rethink my position if I have tacit agreement from that n@b...
Old 5 Sep 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4000269)   #1780
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does he mean Bruno Senna?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 15:39 (Ref:4000273)   #1781
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe William B is referring to William S as being a tool for opening doors etc.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 18:01 (Ref:4000292)   #1782
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well both cars were painfully slow in quali, not a good sign for the race
Old 5 Sep 2020, 18:18 (Ref:4000295)   #1783
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well both cars were painfully slow in quali, not a good sign for the race
A change in Team Principle won’t alter the appalling aero , hopefully the new owners will clear out the overpaid overrated cruisers and stand up and try and get some of the Brain drain leavers back - Symonds and Smedley would be a good start
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:54 (Ref:4000318)   #1784
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
History repeats,a lot of people forget Frank Williams sold a big share in Williams Mark 1 to Walter Wolf in the '70s and got manouvered out the back door of his own team.
Then sprang up again with with the new Williams Mark 2 team and Alan Jones.
Maybe a new Phoenix Mark 3 will arise?.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 21:08 (Ref:4000320)   #1785
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Based on Claire's interview on C4 tonight, that would be highly unlikely. But you are correct about the Wolf thing.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 07:35 (Ref:4000359)   #1786
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
A change in Team Principle won’t alter the appalling aero , hopefully the new owners will clear out the overpaid overrated cruisers and stand up and try and get some of the Brain drain leavers back - Symonds and Smedley would be a good start
Staff changes would be good but no point bringing some of the worst deadwood back!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:48 (Ref:4000379)   #1787
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is His Ronness doing there days?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Sep 2020, 10:29 (Ref:4000385)   #1788
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was packing lunches for the NHS last I checked.

Ron.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4000963)   #1789
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Williams appoint Simon Roberts, as acting Team Principal.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...paign=widget-1
Old 8 Sep 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4000965)   #1790
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Williams appoint Simon Roberts, as acting Team Principal.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...paign=widget-1
My guess that is an easy short term solution given he was already in the team? Or is he in the running for the permanent solution?

Richard
Old 10 Sep 2020, 12:04 (Ref:4001410)   #1791
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My guess that is an easy short term solution given he was already in the team? Or is he in the running for the permanent solution?

Richard
Don't think there is anyone internally who is right fulltime?

So who do we think maybe pursued?

What do we think of these chaps?

Martin Whitmarsh?
Pat Symmonds back from Brawn's gang?
Bob Bell?
Gerhard??
Old 10 Sep 2020, 12:39 (Ref:4001424)   #1792
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Don't think there is anyone internally who is right fulltime?

So who do we think maybe pursued?

What do we think of these chaps?

Martin Whitmarsh?
Pat Symmonds back from Brawn's gang?
Bob Bell?
Gerhard??
Certainly not Berger - massively experienced but has the same attention span as Boris Jonson.

Symonds? Rarely do Engineers make good team principals.

A Steidle / Wolfe type figure is needed IMO.

Sackcloth and ashes back to Jos Capito?

Or maybe the current bloke will do OK....
Old 10 Sep 2020, 16:11 (Ref:4001461)   #1793
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Symonds already had a crack at Williams and it didn't really work. I doubt that would be a happy partnership.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 08:48 (Ref:4001622)   #1794
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Symonds already had a crack at Williams and it didn't really work. I doubt that would be a happy partnership.
Didn't really work? By what measure ? When he was there they were regular podium visitors
Old 11 Sep 2020, 12:37 (Ref:4001660)   #1795
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Didn't really work? By what measure ? When he was there they were regular podium visitors
By the measure of his contract not having been renewed in 2016, and by the measure of some acquaintances who were there on and off at the time saying that it didn't really work and it wasn't a very happy relationship, at least from where they were standing.

If it had been a roaring success, Williams wouldn't have been sold and they'd have been challenging for the titles, no?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 12:53 (Ref:4001662)   #1796
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
By the measure of his contract not having been renewed in 2016, and by the measure of some acquaintances who were there on and off at the time saying that it didn't really work and it wasn't a very happy relationship, at least from where they were standing.

If it had been a roaring success, Williams wouldn't have been sold and they'd have been challenging for the titles, no?
Mate you cannot be suggesting their current predicament is down to Pat Symmonds? No doubt he did upset the long term cruisers there but the current situation is imo down to a single person...
Old 11 Sep 2020, 13:18 (Ref:4001669)   #1797
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mate you cannot be suggesting their current predicament is down to Pat Symmonds? No doubt he did upset the long term cruisers there but the current situation is imo down to a single person...
Just the fact that the last lot did not like him should be a ringing endorsement.

Some of the people that Williams let go were probably right on the money as to what was wrong with the team, start in on the sacred cows and you will probably get terminated, even though that is exactly where the changes need to be made.

Bit like F1 aero.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 15:10 (Ref:4001687)   #1798
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
for me it less about one person/one family then it is about adamantly holding onto a philosophy that did not allow them to to become a factory or subsidiary team and/or buy more parts from Mercedes...well that and lack of money.

i know it cost the team performance and now they have no team (just money so big win for irony), but as much at it hurt the team, i respect their code and more so i respect their attempts to live by that code.

live by the sword die by the sword...imo they lived a noble sporting life.

i have respect for what she did.

certainly more respect for her then i do Vijay Mallay and now Stroll (i use them as examples as 2 owners more willing to buy their success rather then design it for themselves).

to each their own of course.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 15:46 (Ref:4001694)   #1799
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
No. I was saying that if it had been a happy, successful and winning relationship, then the contract would have been renewed by both parties. And perhaps things would have been different.

They weren't though, he departed, and we are where we are.

The reasons for the long, drawn-out and painful decline of Williams F1 are many, varied, and different. But they all added up to the end of the last true garagiste team who tried to live by their own standards - laudable, but impossible in this day and age - and ended up dying a death by a thousand cuts.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 20:44 (Ref:4001748)   #1800
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
To even survive in F1 you need to be a global business, billionaire or investment fund. Williams was the last of the garageistas, running almost a works size team on an ever decreasing independent income.

F1 is a results driven business, when you are funded like Williams and you run out of results, you run out of money. Williams was a team from another age, unwilling to scale down like Haas or RP and become reliant on manufacturer parts, yet unable to scale up to be a factory team.

They were trapped in a no mans land hoping that something would turn up, a better car, better regs, more level playing field, another wealthy but any of these would have been too late.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk