Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Nov 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2980224)   #1
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
URGENT APPEAL FOR MARSHALS SNETTERTON 5th/6th November 2011

Currently, the most generous marshals’ benefactor is Jonathan Palmer of MSV. He provides track days for marshals, super days out at Bedford Autodrome and one lucky marshal is just on his way with a friend to an all-expenses paid trip to the Caribbean – again, arranged by Dave Scott at MSV and one of their competitors.

However, Jonathan needs our help right now and I see this as a good opportunity to repay his and MSV’s kindness over recent years.

There is a two-day meeting at Snetterton this weekend (5th/6th November) being organised by BARC for the Ginetta Junior and BARC Renault winter series. BARC have just announced that they do not have enough marshals to run this on Snetterton 300 circuit and will revert to the 200 circuit unless some more marshals can be found. This comes as a grave disappointment to competitors who have practised on the longer circuit in preparation for the races and, in some cases, want to impress potential sponsors for new championships in the new year that will almost always run on the longer circuit.

To “seed” the appeal and not to let competitors down, MSV are offering some wonderful prizes for the weekend. First prize will be a full (£800) PalmerSport Day at Bedford Autodrome – “the best corporate motorsport day available anywhere” – in the marshals’ draw. There will be three second prizes of Brands Hatch Race Master experiences and having just completed one of these last week in the new BMW M3 I can personally vouch for those!

MSV will also provide free breakfasts and lunches for all marshals and Max Gregory, Championship Co-ordinator of the Ginetta Winter series has offered a raffle for ten marshals to tour the Ginetta factory.

Come on marshals, this is our chance to show appreciation for thoughtful awards given to marshals in recent years since MSV came upon the scene. Let’s show how we help those who help us! We need 15 to 20 marshals to indicate immediately their availability so that this event can take place on Snetterton 300 as originally planned. We would dearly like to tell JP that we have found the marshals he needs by Thursday but even if on Friday night you find you can make it to Snetterton, please just turn up. David Scott has arranged it so that there will be no difficulty getting in to marshal.

Please reply direct to me, initially, (nat.treasurer@marshals.co.uk) so that someone is keeping count but then just turn up at Snetterton, where you will be made most welcome.

Thank you all in advance!

George Copeland
Old 2 Nov 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2980701)   #2
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signed up this morning George, unfortunately just for Sunday. Didn't even know about the free food either !
Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2980704)   #3
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrammy View Post
Signed up this morning George, unfortunately just for Sunday. Didn't even know about the free food either !
Thanks Schrammy. Enjoy your day and the food!

George
Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2980725)   #4
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Begs the questoin, when did BARC, start thinking about running this meet..Its not the the MSRV, year book,. so might explain (partly) why they having trouble getting marshal,s.
me regular at snetterton, but done to work pattern, can only do the sunday..

pete
Old 2 Nov 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2980743)   #5
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter195001 View Post
Begs the questoin, when did BARC, start thinking about running this meet..Its not the the MSRV, year book,. so might explain (partly) why they having trouble getting marshal,s.
me regular at snetterton, but done to work pattern, can only do the sunday..

pete
Pete,

This Winter Series (Snet and Rockingham) was, I understand, a late addition to the calendar, so hence too late to be included in the MSV book at the beginning of the season and on any of the normal availability forms.

Thanks for you help on Sunday -it is appreciated & will be a good warm up and way to keep us fit ready for the following weekend too!!

Terry
Old 2 Nov 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2980757)   #6
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry, Late, sure some thing like august saw it was 'planned' by BARC.. but plaese no quoting on that, as you khow am wrong at times LOL
Old 2 Nov 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2980774)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Snetterton is too far away for us to do on a whim, plus we have a family wedding this weekend (which was obviously arranged far in advance of this meeting) to which we are pre-booked!

Good luck to all - but is this not another example of how clubs cannot expect marshals to attend if they don't give enough warning?

Drivers need marshals to allow them to race. If they don't race then marshals have nothing to do at the weekend. It is a give-give situation.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2980829)   #8
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just curious... is this the round that was provisionally set to be at Pembrey ?

We did the Pembrey event last year on Remembrance weekend.. and had put the provisional date on the calendar for this year.. but £1.39 per litre really does cap my mileage to "local circuit only."
Old 2 Nov 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2980838)   #9
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
Just curious... is this the round that was provisionally set to be at Pembrey ?

We did the Pembrey event last year on Remembrance weekend.. and had put the provisional date on the calendar for this year.. but £1.39 per litre really does cap my mileage to "local circuit only."

Unfortunately I cannot answer that one but can understand the situation regarding your mileage comment - there have been times I have wished to go to Pembrey but in reality couldn't justify the travelling time/mileage/cost equation from the North Norfolk coast myself. Perhaps one day?
Old 2 Nov 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2980841)   #10
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
If anyone is available to assist with Assembly and/or Pits we are still in need of additional numbers on both days.

Please let George or myself know if you can help us in these areas.

Many thanks,

Terry
Old 3 Nov 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2981066)   #11
Duracell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Duracell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s really great to see the generosity of the organisers for the prizes on offer. One question though, do you have to do both days to the eligible for the draw or will you still be entered if you can only make one of the days?

I think I can only make the Saturday but would be interested to know if I'm in with a chance!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2981096)   #12
Wh05apk
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Wh05apk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duracell View Post
It’s really great to see the generosity of the organisers for the prizes on offer. One question though, do you have to do both days to the eligible for the draw or will you still be entered if you can only make one of the days?

I think I can only make the Saturday but would be interested to know if I'm in with a chance!

I can only make Sunday, so maybe we will both get half a chance!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2981151)   #13
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duracell View Post

Hi Duracell / Who5apk

Have sent you both a PM.

My understanding is that everyone involved with the meeting in whatever manner will have an equal chance of winning the various prizes.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday / Sunday

Terry

Last edited by Terry Scannell; 3 Nov 2011 at 17:10.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2981165)   #14
Wh05apk
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Wh05apk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Hi Duracell / Who5apk

Have sent you both a PM.

My understanding is that everyone involved with the meeting in whatever manner will have an equal chance of winning the various prizes.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday / Sunday

Terry

Thanks Terry, my comment was only a light hearted reply.

But seriously maybe it would be fairer to have one entry for each day on duty, so anyone doing both days get 2 entries?
Old 4 Nov 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2981457)   #15
Sitting Bull
Rookie

Wales
Sitting Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
urgent appeal for marshals at Snetterton

This meeting was on the availability sheets sent out by BARC at the beginning of the year. It was listed as provisional for Pembrey. Pity it was taken away, more than enough people to marshal it at Pembrey, with no need to make 'offers' to get people to attend. Very good meeting last year.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2981459)   #16
MonsterTreeMarshal
Rookie

England
10 minutes from Snetterton
MonsterTreeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
URGENT APPEAL FOR MARSHALS SNETTERTON 5th/6th November 2011

Does anyone out there (Terry - this means you) know if we now have enough marshals to run on the 300 circuit????
Old 4 Nov 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2981547)   #17
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTreeMarshal View Post
Does anyone out there (Terry - this means you) know if we now have enough marshals to run on the 300 circuit????
I can confirm that thanks to everyone who has kindly volunteered over the past few days that the meeting will be on the 300, as has been the two days F. Renault testing on Wed/ Thurs and today's General testing for the Renaults and Ginetta's.

I would specifically wish to thank everyone behind the scenes at MSV, George and his team at the BMMC, Peter Rodwell at BRSCC-EA for all their help to make this possible. Special thanks to Mr. Palmer and the also the Ginetta factory for their positive support with raffle prizes and breakfast/ lunches etc.

Hope to see you over the weekend. I will be in my orange disguise somewhere!!

We can still find room for anyone who suddenly finds that they can make it on Saturday or Sunday and we would be pleased to have you with us.

Terry
Old 4 Nov 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2981592)   #18
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
This meeting was on the availability sheets sent out by BARC at the beginning of the year. It was listed as provisional for Pembrey. Pity it was taken away, more than enough people to marshal it at Pembrey, with no need to make 'offers' to get people to attend. Very good meeting last year.
Yes. We enjoyed it last year. We even had a minute of silence in observance of Remembrance Sunday. Had a couple come in at Post 8, nothing major, and was in a good place to see some great driving through Honda - a corner young Mr Hill seemed to enjoy.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2982379)   #19
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Thank you!!

May I say that once again "Team Orange" has proved what many of us have known for many years - that you are absolutely superb group of people!!

The response since our appeal for marshals last Tuesday, so that we could ensure the running of the BARC Winter Series meeting on the 300 circuit, has been really brilliant and on behalf of MSV and BARC I would sincerely wish to thank all of you that assisted us over the weekend.

It was so good to see so many there on Saturday and even more today!! Many new trainees which was encouraging to see too. It was great to meet many of the people whom George and I have been in direct contact over the past few days and to welcome so many marshals new to Snetterton. Hope you all enjoyed the meeting and that it will be the first of many visits next year.

Too many people to mention really but special thanks to Laura who was on a busy Post 11 with me on Saturday and who had travelled from Sunderland to assist on Saturday - great to meet and work with you. Hope you enjoyed being so close to the action in front and behind us!!

I appreciate that many marshals also travelled considerable distances to assist us. Also to everyone who had to suffer me on Posts 7, 8, 9, 10 & 14 today - thanks team - superb marshalling / incident handling throughout the day!

Finally a really big thank you to Mr. Palmer and MSV for putting such big smiles on the faces of the special raffle prize winners over the two days! The support from MSV over the weekend has been really appreciated by those present and certainly ensured that the event could take place as planned, with the brilliant support of those in orange. Thanks also to the BMMC for all your help too!

Must say that the Formula Renault and Ginetta teams and competitors provided some really competitive and exciting racing over both days.

Thank you all for your support!

Terry
Old 8 Nov 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2983151)   #20
MonsterTreeMarshal
Rookie

England
10 minutes from Snetterton
MonsterTreeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you....

I'll go along with everything that Terry said - this was a brilliant weekends racing, despite the limited number of Ginetta juniors that had entered - the Renault drivers more than made up for that....
In fact I can't remember a weekends marshalling that was quite as busy as this one - all that and an early finish both days!
As one of your 'merry band' both days Terry - many thanks for a great weekend...
Boy, are you guys at Rockingham in for a treat at the weekend....
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2985071)   #21
laurak
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunderland
laurak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the mention, it was a eventful day for my first visit to Snetterton! Thanks to everyone for making me welcome though, even if I am a Croft marshal

Looking forward to visiting Snetterton much more next season!
Old 14 Nov 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2986074)   #22
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurak View Post
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the mention, it was a eventful day for my first visit to Snetterton! Thanks to everyone for making me welcome though, even if I am a Croft marshal

Looking forward to visiting Snetterton much more next season!
Hi Laura,

Firstly - congratulations on your first post on Ten Tenths - welcome to the Marshals forum! Great to see you on here.

Glad you enjoyed the Snetterton experience and we would certainly be more than pleased to see you back with us anytime you can make it during 2012.

Terry