Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3416039)   #126
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand the relevance and importance of a category like FF, and what the support categories mean to the event. Sure the likes of Senna, Schumacher, Webber and a gaggle of V8 Supercar drivers made their mark in FF, but the cars just don't excite me.

I know it very rarely happens because of finances, politics or whatever, but I'd like to think that the promoters made some consideration about what support cateogries the paying spectators actually want to see. If no one ever expressed their opinion about them, how would they know?

I know Richard watches this forum, but perhaps I chose the wrong place to express my opinion, sorry.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3416073)   #127
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
I understand the relevance and importance of a category like FF, and what the support categories mean to the event. Sure the likes of Senna, Schumacher, Webber and a gaggle of V8 Supercar drivers made their mark in FF, but the cars just don't excite me.

I know it very rarely happens because of finances, politics or whatever, but I'd like to think that the promoters made some consideration about what support cateogries the paying spectators actually want to see. If no one ever expressed their opinion about them, how would they know?

I know Richard watches this forum, but perhaps I chose the wrong place to express my opinion, sorry.
Is there a support category that people would truly want to see? All the quality categories are booked elsewhere.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3416075)   #128
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The paying public argument wears gladwrap thin these days. There are elements of the Melbourne F1 and V8 rounds entertainment package that bore 7 shades of shite out of me but those same elements contribute to the success and longevity of the event...its called racing, in all its shapes and sizes.

I just don't get the unnecessary and grossly subjective shite-canning of the FF category. I know its a forum and free speech etc but its like one of my kids saying they don't like the number 57 or yellow capsicum. Best left unsaid...
Old 6 Jun 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3416079)   #129
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
The paying public argument wears gladwrap thin these days. There are elements of the Melbourne F1 and V8 rounds entertainment package that bore 7 shades of shite out of me but those same elements contribute to the success and longevity of the event...its called racing, in all its shapes and sizes.

I just don't get the unnecessary and grossly subjective shite-canning of the FF category. I know its a forum and free speech etc but its like one of my kids saying they don't like the number 57 or yellow capsicum. Best left unsaid...
Yep
Old 6 Jun 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3416251)   #130
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF do more for me than the Radicals did this year.
So looks like FF, IP and HQ/Gemini's...I've seen worse.
Would love to see NSW Prod Touring on that weekend mixing it up with AMC for a 2/3 hour race.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 6 Jun 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3416392)   #131
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What also needs to be considered (if not already known) is that promoters call for expressions of interest from support categories...and I think your answer on why certain categories are the supports for B12 lies in actual positive response from enthusiastic category managers prepared to stump up the required $$ for the track time.

Some of your noisier, 'prettier' categories probably didn't hit the keyboard or pick up the phone...or felt they were so special they shouldn't have to pay...or worse still, have a reputation for not paying on agreements.

Just sayin'...
Old 7 Jun 2014, 00:11 (Ref:3416399)   #132
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IP is confirmed, deposit paid

IP are actually asked to come, but that doesn't mean we get a free spot, it means that they will not give it away.The fact that IP has been there for 6 years, always has good fields, good racing (except when Hislop runs away) and doesn't have a history of causing red flags is part of it.
As above we pay the deposit when the contract is signed, so 8 months in advance. most smaller categories can't find the 15k in wedge to do that. At the B12h you buy the grid, the organisers don't care if you turn up with 20 Radicals or 50 IP, bigger fields are better but clean running of the 12h is most important
Old 7 Jun 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3416400)   #133
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
What also needs to be considered (if not already known) is that promoters call for expressions of interest from support categories...and I think your answer on why certain categories are the supports for B12 lies in actual positive response from enthusiastic category managers prepared to stump up the required $$ for the track time.

Some of your noisier, 'prettier' categories probably didn't hit the keyboard or pick up the phone...or felt they were so special they shouldn't have to pay...or worse still, have a reputation for not paying on agreements.

Just sayin'...
Would say that it would be common knowledge at least by members on here that your comments are 100% correct and unfortunately that's why one of my favourite categories being Sports Sedans are not on the program
Old 7 Jun 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3416401)   #134
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
IP is confirmed, deposit paid

IP are actually asked to come, but that doesn't mean we get a free spot, it means that they will not give it away.The fact that IP has been there for 6 years, always has good fields, good racing (except when Hislop runs away) and doesn't have a history of causing red flags is part of it.
As above we pay the deposit when the contract is signed, so 8 months in advance. most smaller categories can't find the 15k in wedge to do that. At the B12h you buy the grid, the organisers don't care if you turn up with 20 Radicals or 50 IP, bigger fields are better but clean running of the 12h is most important
The variety of IP makes the category enjoyable for me and the battles at the front last year were great to watch which was attributed to the demise of Hislop. Looking forward to the Celica/ Monaro battle.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 04:10 (Ref:3416430)   #135
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Had some correspondence with Mok Weng Sun over the last couple of days and no surprise that they are definite starters for next year and in the Ferrari. Wonder whether the McLaren was tossed up ? Full driver line up not confirmed at this stage which may be a surprise to some as these guys have been pretty much locked in as soon as the race is over. Would think that Griffin and Baird in particular would be on quite a few teams wanted list.
Mok's words today " likely to include 1 or 2 Ferrari factory drivers". Does the "2" mean that Baird isn't an automatic starter as in previous years ?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3416445)   #136
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Would say that it would be common knowledge at least by members on here that your comments are 100% correct and unfortunately that's why one of my favourite categories being Sports Sedans are not on the program
I have only read brief mentions of it but the organiser was apparently jacked around last time. Plenty of people put up their hands at the time but many were lowered by race weekend causing many a headache. When the entry list was first published remember it had the likes of Baily and Ricciardello. Steven Lacey seemed to of got the numbers together for the 2015 Easter meeting a little easier to date. If only it could be made a Rd of the Kerrick National series.

As the event continues to grow, you would think it will become harder to get your category on the grid, I just hope the opportunity is not lost for Sports Sedans in the future. IP always put on a good show and hopefully will be there many a year to come.

Sports Sedans should strike a deal with Prod Sports where they alternate each year between the 2 festivals. The perfect program for me would have IP, Sports Sedans, Prod Sports and Heritage Touring Cars.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3416638)   #137
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mok's words today " likely to include 1 or 2 Ferrari factory drivers". Does the "2" mean that Baird isn't an automatic starter as in previous years ?

Griffin would be one so that leaves room for Bairdo
Old 7 Jun 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3416725)   #138
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Griffin would be one so that leaves room for Bairdo
Not if he gets 2 Ferrari factory drivers ?
Does there come a time when Baird does a CL and starts looking elsewhere ?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3416743)   #139
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nando and the iceman?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3416744)   #140
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
Nando and the iceman?
Now that would be a coup
Old 8 Jun 2014, 03:21 (Ref:3416775)   #141
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
2015 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour: 6-8 February

Whoops totally forgot about the new driver rules in class A. I still think Matt Griffin will be one of the factory drivers as he is the guy with most experience of the 458 GT3 and actually helped to develop it. Add in Mok and that leaves one. Bairdo might indeed be left out which would be a massive shame as one of the best drivers in the field.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 03:46 (Ref:3416780)   #142
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Whoops totally forgot about the new driver rules in class A. I still think Matt Griffin will be one of the factory drivers as he is the guy with most experience of the 458 GT3 and actually helped to develop it. Add in Mok and that leaves one. Bairdo might indeed be left out which would be a massive shame as one of the best drivers in the field.
Would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall at this years 12 hour and whether Baird was all for the qualifying tactics used and subsequently not turning a single lap during qualifying and on race day ?
Could put your house on Griffin being on board unless another gun international factory team grabs him ?
Old 8 Jun 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3416811)   #143
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the supports, i personally prefer variety so the likes of IP and previously Sports Sedans were fantastic.

Having said that i've no problems with FF1600 or HQ's....perhaps make the HQ races sprints rather than an enduro though?

Quote:
Would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall at this years 12 hour and whether Baird was all for the qualifying tactics used and subsequently not turning a single lap during qualifying and on race day ?
Could put your house on Griffin being on board unless another gun international factory team grabs him ?
The Clearwater team (including Baird) were all sitting together out the front of Rydes bar on the Sunday night this year with many a laugh being had, so on face value they all seemed to be on good terms.

I'm sure they were all bitterly disappointed, but i'm also sure that Baird knows its not his money that was being spent & the team owners were doing what they thought would lead to a result.

Baird will get a leading drive somewhere if he doesn't land at Clearwater again.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3416826)   #144
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
mok will struggle to drive at a decent pace for 3 hours.

he's a lot happier at Sepang than Bathurst.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3416903)   #145
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

Baird will get a leading drive somewhere if he doesn't land at Clearwater again.
I would think the Mok, Baird & Griffin combo would be pretty safe for 2015
Old 10 Jun 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3418017)   #146
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wanna drive...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jun 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3418026)   #147
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have nothing but complete admiration for Henley and that RX8. Since he bought it he has pretty much raced it at every possible meeting across 3 States. Sydney drivers struggle to make the effort to go to Wakefield, yet Bruce brought the RX8 up for the run. For those that have not heard it live, the sound it makes is incredible.

The 12hr organisers should pay his entry fee to get it there.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3418408)   #148
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
I have nothing but complete admiration for Henley and that RX8. Since he bought it he has pretty much raced it at every possible meeting across 3 States. Sydney drivers struggle to make the effort to go to Wakefield, yet Bruce brought the RX8 up for the run. For those that have not heard it live, the sound it makes is incredible.

The 12hr organisers should pay his entry fee to get it there.
Former Patrick Dempsey car and seeing that the Sports Sedans aren't on the card, cars like this will make up for it.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3419012)   #149
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
SUPPORT PROGRAM

Formula Ford - 2 races of ten laps
Radicals 1 race of 6 laps and 1 race of 15 laps
Improved Production- 2 races of ten laps
Old 17 Jun 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3422858)   #150
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
SEVEN TO BROADCAST FULL BATHURST 12 HOUR

Quote:
The coverage will be split between 7mate and the main Seven channel, with “at least the final three hours” to be broadcast on the latter.

Last edited by peckstar; 17 Jun 2014 at 03:27.