Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3853677)   #526
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The fact that Leclerc managed to dominate Ericsson, in a way Nasr and Wehrlein didn’t, shows what a talent he is
Yeah this.

I’m going to make a bold(ish) statement: at the end of their respective careers, Leclerc will be held in higher esteem than Max Verstappen
Old 1 Oct 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3853810)   #527
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yeah this.

I’m going to make a bold(ish) statement: at the end of their respective careers, Leclerc will be held in higher esteem than Max Verstappen
The way he drives and actually JUST drives without politicing, I would not be surprised to see at least teams rate him very highly. He does seem to get the most out of the car when it can perform, so the question is "Is that his race setup with his ability to feel out the car and get the best adjustments by the team or a natural ability to drive around the problems." They are both good attributes but when the car doesn't perform well, tuning can be more helpful than just driving through it.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3853824)   #528
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yeah this.

Let’s not forget that Mr LeClerc is headed to Ferrari, a spirit crusher if ever there was one when the team/car/#1 pilot isn’t working well...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3854049)   #529
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ferrari let LeClerc just do his thing for a season and keep him relatively out of the pressure it will be fascinating to see what he can do. I think Seb might find his presence, in this kind of situation, very unnerving.

Kvyat at TR is a totally weird one. Aren't they supposed to be the young talent team? Was there nobody else? Maybe they're looking for a predictable pair of hands after a season filled wth Hartley going backwards/sideways in the direction of the scenery.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3854054)   #530
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There are very few Red Bull backed young drivers available for a race seat, that is the problem
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3854055)   #531
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
If Ferrari let LeClerc just do his thing for a season and keep him relatively out of the pressure it will be fascinating to see what he can do. I think Seb might find his presence, in this kind of situation, very unnerving.

Kvyat at TR is a totally weird one. Aren't they supposed to be the young talent team? Was there nobody else? Maybe they're looking for a predictable pair of hands after a season filled wth Hartley going backwards/sideways in the direction of the scenery.
Yeah, but it's the kind of 'predictability' that Kvyat is likely to bring that makes the decision all the more bizarre.....
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3854063)   #532
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed.

I don't necessarily think there should be an automatic system in place, but these should be the seats being given to the guys dominating the feeder series. Right?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3854064)   #533
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect that's what most of us would like to see, however there are always forces at work that pull in other directions.... Otherwise Ocon would have had a seat sorted up long ago....
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3854084)   #534
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in the fix F1 thread i had suggested there should be a prize fund for drivers so that they had money to pay for seats...that should probably be extended to GP2 and even other official feeder series winners.

not my idea mind you as i think more prize money for GP2 winners had been suggested at an official level some time ago as a way of harmonizing the ladder but im not sure what happened to that idea.

its an unfortunate financial reality so a mechanism to minimize this reality is for sure needed...otherwise whats the point of a feeder series?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3854132)   #535
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree with a prize fund for drivers who win GP2, would help them towards a seat in F1
Old 2 Oct 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3854141)   #536
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I agree with a prize fund for drivers who win GP2, would help them towards a seat in F1
Would it, though? I get the impression that “pay drivers” bring many millions in sponsorship to their teams; it’s hard to see an F2 prize fund extending far into seven figures.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3854148)   #537
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree totally. If a bloke like Ocon, who has proven talent and Mercedes offering support in terms of cash / engine discounts ends up further down the queue than some unknown with limited talent but a wealthy benefactor able to offer millions in sponsorship ..... I don't see a feeder series prize fund being the answer in getting into F1
Old 2 Oct 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3854157)   #538
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could maybe by a BTCC seat with some prize money now days, that's about it.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3854166)   #539
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fair points...whatever potential prize money they could get is still a drop in the buck compared to what some of the pay drivers are able to bring in these days.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3854175)   #540
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but it's the kind of 'predictability' that Kvyat is likely to bring that makes the decision all the more bizarre.....
I think I understand the reasoning at Red Bull.
* they don't want to "grow" a Ferrari or Mercedes youngster
* there is no Red Bull talent available with enough points
* if Kvyat performs (againg most people's expections), then of course he is a Red Bull Talent, and see: we were right all along.
* if he doesn't perform: drop him again and take Ticktum instead, or a Japanese or whichever Red Bull or Honda junior has enough superlicense points. And in the mean time: see the first two points.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3854281)   #541
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as it's possible to buy a seat in F1, and good luck with changing that, the junior categories will be forever undermined.....and possibly a huge waste of money as a consequence.We can all name dozens of drivers over the decades who should have got an opportunity.

Unless all involved want to ensure graduation to F1 can only be achieved by satisfying some seriously onerous qualification criteria, then wealthy journeymen will always make up a proportion of the grid.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3854287)   #542
GingerPixel
Racer

How about this? (I know its a bit artificial)

Teams have the option of being a 'golden ticket' team, in exchange for some kind incentive, probably cash but it'd be nice if it was some development freedom or something.

People that win a feeder series get a golden ticket as part of their prize and get a ride with one of the teams in the agreement.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3854390)   #543
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think I understand the reasoning at Red Bull.
* they don't want to "grow" a Ferrari or Mercedes youngster
* there is no Red Bull talent available with enough points
* if Kvyat performs (againg most people's expections), then of course he is a Red Bull Talent, and see: we were right all along.
* if he doesn't perform: drop him again and take Ticktum instead, or a Japanese or whichever Red Bull or Honda junior has enough superlicense points. And in the mean time: see the first two points.
Pascal Wehrlein is now linked to Toro Rosso according to today's Motorsport News.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3854416)   #544
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Not looking good for B. Hartley.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3854468)   #545
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Joe Saward saying he senses that it will be Ocon and Russell at Williams as the Russian 'association' is allegedly puting off potential sponsors. As he intimates if Mercedes think they can afford to run a 3 car team (which is their suggestion for young drivers), then they can afford to put 2 drivers into Mercedes with a mixture of engine discounts and cash. Williams really need this to claw back some credibility if they go for the dollar again, I suspect it will be the beginning of the end for them.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3854482)   #546
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Joe Saward saying he senses that it will be Ocon and Russell at Williams as the Russian 'association' is allegedly puting off potential sponsors. As he intimates if Mercedes think they can afford to run a 3 car team (which is their suggestion for young drivers), then they can afford to put 2 drivers into Mercedes with a mixture of engine discounts and cash. Williams really need this to claw back some credibility if they go for the dollar again, I suspect it will be the beginning of the end for them.
Once the Force India deal was done and Stroll decided to jump ship, I think that was the beginning of the end.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3854513)   #547
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Once the Force India deal was done and Stroll decided to jump ship, I think that was the beginning of the end.
It is difficult to see a future for Williams with the turnaround in their finances.

Withdrawal of Martini
Withdrawal of Stroll
Last in the constructors championship - no money
No historic results payments from prior years.
Legacy team payment??
Old 4 Oct 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3854514)   #548
S griffin
Veteran

Well we can’t afford to lose another team, so I do hope a solution is found
Old 4 Oct 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3854520)   #549
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well we can’t afford to lose another team, so I do hope a solution is found
The last time there was a 24 car grid was in 2012, so no neither we or F1 can afford to lose another team.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3854530)   #550
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Not looking good for B. Hartley.
Apparently he says he has a multi year contract.