Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:34 (Ref:422955)   #26
Colin Mason
Rookie

Colin Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats complete rubbish. DC is one of the very few drivers who is willing to give MS some of his own medicine. Kimi is a very very good driver but never underestimate DC
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:45 (Ref:422965)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Colin Mason !

Another DC fan hunh ?

Have fun around, we have loads of TGF disciples and Anti-TGF hordes too...
Old 6 Nov 2002, 16:04 (Ref:423042)   #28
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC is very underrated, my opinion anyway. He won't win the WDC but not many do, and I doubt Mclaren will make a comeback before he retires. They'll make a decnet car for Kimi when he's old enough
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:57 (Ref:423404)   #29
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never believed DC would win the title once Hakkinen blitzed him in 98 and 99. I think deep down even DC accepts that he had his chance and blew it. With Kimi already establishing himself in the team, DC will end up taking even more pain next season...which hopefully will be his last at Mclaren..opening the door for Jacques Villeneuve.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:53 (Ref:423430)   #30
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC World Champion?

Most Unlikely! Kimi will continue to improve, but David's role in F1 history is doomed to be that of a good second driver on a good (maybe?) team.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 02:36 (Ref:423457)   #31
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Of course there is the slight possibility that DC might be getting old, and is slowing down as a result.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 11:44 (Ref:423705)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Of course there is the slight possibility that DC might be getting old, and is slowing down as a result.
Possibility ? I'm sure he's getting old !
Old 7 Nov 2002, 11:55 (Ref:423716)   #33
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EVERYONE gets old!!!
Old 7 Nov 2002, 12:56 (Ref:423756)   #34
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You only need to look back at DC's career to see he will never be WDC. I believe his last championship win was back in British Formula Ford.

Winning championships in the lower formulae takes exactly the same skill's as it does in F1, in fact you could argue that these series are much more competitive than F1 and therefore take more skill to win.

DC's career has been one containing season's with some very good drives but watered dowm by too many weak performances. He only seems able to pull 2 or 4 stunning drives out per year.

On this basis, Pizzonia (F3 & FRen champ's), Kimi (FRen Champion) and JPM (F300 and Cart series wins) are the ones with good championship records.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 12:52 (Ref:424554)   #35
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After moving over for Hakkinen in Jerez 1997 and Melbourne 1998, DC was always going to be up against it. 2000 was his best chance but Hakkinen's summer revival put paid to it.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 11:50 (Ref:425058)   #36
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure about Super Tourers statement that winning in F1 is easier than in lower formulae. It is a different discipline if anything and requires more political awareness and diplomacy to get what YOU want for YOURSELF. Schumacher has got this nailed. DC is a smooth, seasoned racer, much in the style of Damon Hill, Berger and Patrese. It is unfortunate he is often lacklustre when the car is not right, but that's what separates the Champions from the field. The best car on the grid has to be driven correctly, the way it "likes" to be driven, and DC was never consistently on top of Mika, and only harries Schumacher on occasion. It's the age-old question, how would he go in the Ferrari, when he was good in the '98'99 Mac but Hakkinen was great?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 9 Nov 2002, 11:53 (Ref:425059)   #37
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he would do about the same as he did in '98/'99, mediocre considering the car he had available...
Old 15 Nov 2002, 11:34 (Ref:429101)   #38
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people tend to gloss over the fact that when Mika was around McLaren was a one-car team whatever Ron Dennis said.

Every year seems to be a crunch year for DC - but this next season more than any other will be vital in prolonging his career. As long as Schumacher stays around he doesn't have much of a chance at the title - but to be perfectly honest, we haven't really got any good championship material at the moment.

Haug and the Mercedes massive seem to be talking down next years results for the McLaren team. I seem to recall BMW and Gerhard doing the same thing the first two seasons they came into the sport.

Don't be fooled.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 22:17 (Ref:429548)   #39
Ann
Rookie

Ann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imho DC should have been WDC already but luck has never been on his side - and whatever you may say, luck is a vital ingredient - you have to have it as well as talent in this business.

And can he do it in the future? If McLaren ever catch up with / overtake Ferrari then yes he can.

(And no I'm not biased. Well ok - maybe just a bit!)
Old 16 Nov 2002, 00:35 (Ref:429655)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ann

And can he do it in the future? If McLaren ever catch up with / overtake Ferrari then yes he can.

IF McLaren ever catch up/overtake Ferrari then DC will be playing second fiddle to Kimi.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 09:25 (Ref:429788)   #41
SilentVoice81
Rookie

SilentVoice81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC seems to have the talent but not the killer instinct all champions are made of... seems to coast a little bit too much IMHO. And yes, it appears Kimi is the future for McLaren... gotta like the feisty Finn.

Hmm, Fisi should take DC's seat soon... with a Newey chassis and a strong Mercedes engine (strong bias for the little Roman obviously...)
Old 16 Nov 2002, 11:55 (Ref:429851)   #42
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I was just thinking: suppose Ferrari, Williams, McLaren and Renault are all equal in terms of capability - in such a scenario, I honestly think that DC would be capable of winning just once next year if luck was on his side. So with the way things are at Ferrari and Bridgestone, I find it very difficult to see DC on the top step next year at all. This is just my personal assessment.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 23:00 (Ref:431795)   #43
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be cool if he could. I'd love to see some change.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 09:23 (Ref:432085)   #44
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David is the business, he has talent to burn, and so far has set about doing just that. Urinating it up against the wall in a car that does not deserve his bum in it's seat.

He is one of the few to take the rituous fight up to the evil empire. More power to his sword. Ron, you hear me?
Old 19 Nov 2002, 09:32 (Ref:432090)   #45
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
AM, we are talking about DC here, not Ralf On second thought, lets forget about Ralf, and concentrate on Kimi.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 10:26 (Ref:432107)   #46
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we were talking about Ralf it would have been a joke thread. Read the post.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:34 (Ref:432136)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

What's the difference, anyway ?

Both are with underpowered cars...
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:50 (Ref:432146)   #48
fousto
Rookie

fousto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kind of agree with Valve - If DC gets the car I think that about 3 or 4 cars will be equal. so it won't be a easy task for him. I think if the Pizzas get caught it will be by more than one team. You have 5 teams chasing the reds with the budget to build a winning car!!