Manor 7 17.50%
Sauber 0 0%
Renault 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Apr 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3629789)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team of the Grand Prix: Bahrain Grand Prix 2016

Who is your choice?
Old 3 Apr 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3629934)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Easy - Haas!

Not many teams overperformed today (Haas, Manor, and arguably Red Bull), whereas I felt many underperformed (Williams look massively disappointing this season. I feel like they've hit their glass ceiling. Toro Rosso again disappointed. Force India seemed to do nothing but move backwards, despite having a Merc lump in the back of them!).

Selby
Old 3 Apr 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3629947)   #3
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mercedes. Anything else is just a sympathy vote.

Without the assault from the Bottas missile, they would have romped home to another 1-2. And you can't blame the team for that hit, though arguably you can praise them for building a car strong enough to take it.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3630027)   #4
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

Without the assault from the Bottas missile, they would have romped home to another 1-2. And you can't blame the team for that hit, though arguably you can praise them for building a car strong enough to take it.
I disagree. You can base your vote for Team of the Race on many other things than ultimate pace, such as making fast progress, or punching above their weight.

I went for Manor, because for the very first time in this team's existence, they were able to beat established teams on raw pace. Wehrlein delivered a stunning drive today, and the team gave him the machinery for it.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 23:31 (Ref:3630039)   #5
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Easy - Haas!
They did a great job with Gutierrez' car (again).
Old 3 Apr 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3630040)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
I disagree. You can base your vote for Team of the Race on many other things than ultimate pace, such as making fast progress, or punching above their weight.

I went for Manor, because for the very first time in this team's existence, they were able to beat established teams on raw pace. Wehrlein delivered a stunning drive today, and the team gave him the machinery for it.
Same discussion as was in the last "team of GP" thread. If we pick the race winner each time, we might as well just stop having these threads and use constructor points.

So I agree... It may still be the team that placed the highest, but it can be about many things. I voted for Haas given that the car seem to have pace and they were not afraid to push hard, use some interesting strategy, etc. The only thing that could be a knock against Haas is that they had to retire a car and had a slow second pitstop. But... It was the first pitstops for that team under race conditions and the first was decently quick.

Richard
Old 4 Apr 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3630048)   #7
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haas & Manor

I like to look at performance from the standpoint of expectations and relativity. The Mercs are still the class of the field, but they also probably have the greatest resources (and the biggest budget). Manor had a respectable performance, but they have had several years to get out of the basement and are just now putting the pieces together, both equipment and people. Haas' performance has exceeded everyone's expectations; they obviously have a good design to start with and are executing a viable business model; Gene Haas might be new to F1, but he's not dumb! Even the euro elitist snob teams are taking a second look! Hopefully they can keep their momentum throughout the remainder of the season, now that would be a real Cinderella story!
Old 4 Apr 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3630051)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari. A solid performance, despite losing Vettel's car before the race had even started.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 09:50 (Ref:3630154)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Ferrari. A solid performance, despite losing Vettel's car before the race had even started.
Hmmm, a 'solid' performance? If a 'solid' performance is only managing to get one of your cars to the grid for the start of the race then surely all the other teams were much better than 'solid' as they at least managed to get 2 cars to the start? (except maybe Renault - how far did Palmer get?). The 50% of the Ferraris that were working went well but that's hardly team of the race material.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3630159)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Hmmm, a 'solid' performance? If a 'solid' performance is only managing to get one of your cars to the grid for the start of the race then surely all the other teams were much better than 'solid' as they at least managed to get 2 cars to the start? (except maybe Renault - how far did Palmer get?). The 50% of the Ferraris that were working went well but that's hardly team of the race material.
Vettel's car blowing its engine on the parade lap was unforeseen and afaic is no reflection on Ferrari as a team. It was a mechanical issue that was beyond their control and despite that, they got on with it and Kimi drove to a creditable 2nd.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3630174)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm with you here Bert for the TEAM to be awarded TEAM of the Race award, surely the whole TEAM (that's both cars) should make a good showing?
I've not voted, (as I'm posting a quick reply) but think that although one Ferrari & one Haas did make a good showing, by getting both cars into a podium position, especially as one was damaged (due to no fault of the TEAM) that Mercedes were clear winners of this award.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3630175)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm with you here Bert for the TEAM to be awarded TEAM of the Race award, surely the whole TEAM (that's both cars) should make a good showing?
I've not voted, (as I'm posting a quick reply) but think that although one Ferrari & one Haas did make a good showing, by getting both cars into a podium position, especially as one was damaged (due to no fault of the TEAM) that Mercedes were clear winners of this award.
If it's a case of both cars making a good showing, how come Haas got so many votes, when only one car finished?
Old 4 Apr 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3630195)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Vettel's car blowing its engine on the parade lap was unforeseen and afaic is no reflection on Ferrari as a team. It was a mechanical issue that was beyond their control and despite that, they got on with it and Kimi drove to a creditable 2nd.
I disagree on both counts here - it reflects hugely on Ferrari as a team - that's 2 races 2 blown engines - not a good reflection on the team. It was a mechanical issue entirely under their control - it's a Ferrari engine. A Sauber blowing an engine might be described as beyond their control as they just buy them off the shelf. Ferrari built the thing so it's 100% under their control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
For the most part I agree. Apart from voting for Mercedes They pretty much did what was expected of them. So I gave it to Manor - for being far more competitive than anyone realistically expected.

Quote:
If it's a case of both cars making a good showing, how come Haas got so many votes, when only one car finished?
Didn't get my vote
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3630210)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I disagree on both counts here - it reflects hugely on Ferrari as a team - that's 2 races 2 blown engines - not a good reflection on the team. It was a mechanical issue entirely under their control - it's a Ferrari engine. A Sauber blowing an engine might be described as beyond their control as they just buy them off the shelf. Ferrari built the thing so it's 100% under their control.
Clearly it wasn't a mechanical issue entirely under their control. If it were it wouldn't have happened. It was pure bad luck and entirely unexpected. It doesn't matter how well prepared a team is, these things do happen and I've seen it happen countless times over the years in motorsport. If it reflects on the team, it only does so in that it was very disappointing not to see both cars racing.

That's a bad analogy. If Sauber blew an engine like Ferrari did on the parade lap, I would have regarded it in exactly the same way, pure bad luck and no reflection on the team.

Quote:
Didn't get my vote
Well Haas have the most votes and only one car came home like Ferrari, just saying...
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3630224)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haas for showing that Oz wasn't a fluke.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3630236)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haas, for waking me from boredom.

The mercedes thing is PITA.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3630247)   #17
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haas
Old 4 Apr 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3630284)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Clearly it wasn't a mechanical issue entirely under their control. If it were it wouldn't have happened. It was pure bad luck and entirely unexpected.
Unexpected yes (otherwise they'd have told him to park it or swapped it overnight after qualifying) - but it's bad engineering, the engine failed long before it should have, therefore they haven't designed and built it well enough - and that's under their control.

Quote:
That's a bad analogy. If Sauber blew an engine like Ferrari did on the parade lap, I would have regarded it in exactly the same way, pure bad luck and no reflection on the team.
I thought that was a great analogy So do you regard all the Renault failures last year in the Red Bull as bad luck or does it reflect badly on Renault? How about all the Honda failures last year? Bad luck or just not good enough? Surely it must reflect badly on an engine manufacturer if the engines keep on going 'pop'? That's 100% of races this season where a Ferrari hasn't finished because it's engine has failed. Is that acceptable?
Old 4 Apr 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3630299)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Unexpected yes (otherwise they'd have told him to park it or swapped it overnight after qualifying) - but it's bad engineering, the engine failed long before it should have, therefore they haven't designed and built it well enough - and that's under their control.

I thought that was a great analogy So do you regard all the Renault failures last year in the Red Bull as bad luck or does it reflect badly on Renault? How about all the Honda failures last year? Bad luck or just not good enough? Surely it must reflect badly on an engine manufacturer if the engines keep on going 'pop'? That's 100% of races this season where a Ferrari hasn't finished because it's engine has failed. Is that acceptable?

Only one engine failed not both, which suggests it's not the design per se that's bad but a faulty component. After all Raikkonen finished second. Some failures will always be down to bad luck, that is the nature of motorsport.

I'm not surprised by Renault's and particularly Honda's engine failures last season. Out of all the engine manufacturers Honda came into this late, not having been in F1 for a while and were basically dropped into the deep end and had to play catch up. The complexity of these engines was always going to be a factor and inevitably there were always going to be engine failures.

It is 100% of races where a Ferrari hasn't finished because it's engine has failed and it's also 100% of races where a Haas hasn't finished.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3630309)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am giving it to Manor. I can't resist it because it puts a smile on my face to see them start to develop into a racing team in Formula 1 with pace. In the hands of Werhlein they were competing against established teams on pure pace. Experienced hands like Dave Ryan and Pat Fry must know what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

No sympathy here. Just praise.

Last edited by Born Racer; 4 Apr 2016 at 17:50.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3630328)   #21
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's tempting to say Mercedes. They were easily the fastest - and if Bottas hadn't panged Lewis off - it would have been another 1-2. However, I am going to give it to Haas, for their continuing fine form.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3630496)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
a few teams did well but mercs really are in a class of their own so they get my vote
Old 6 Apr 2016, 05:54 (Ref:3630644)   #23
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes, kudos to Red Bull and Haas.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3631359)   #24
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haas for the impressive form for a new-entering team in F1. Secont point scoring in their second ever race.