Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2020, 05:37 (Ref:4020516)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sakhir Grand Prix 2020: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 16 of 17

Formula 1 welcomes us back in Bahrain a week on from its last escapade. In a strange 2020, a lot has occurred in this time - Lewis Hamilton absent with COVID-19, George Russell stepping up to fill his shoes at Mercedes, Jack Aitken climbing aboard the Williams to fill in for Russell, and Pietro Fittipaldi taking over Romain Grosjean's place in the Haas after his awful accident last weekend. His survival of this fiery crash demonstrated the progression of Formula 1's exceptional safety measures.

The outer loop circuit is set to give us Formula 1's shortest lap time, with a wiggly middle sector after exiting Turn 4 instead of heading to the infield, rejoining the main Grand Prix track after Turn 9.

Circuit length: 3.543km
Number of laps: 87
Race distance: 307.995km
Race Lap Record: -
Dry weather tyre compounds: C2, C3 & C4
First Bahrain Grand Prix: 2004
First Grand Prix on this configuration: 2020

Join the fun in the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155000

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155006
Old 4 Dec 2020, 05:39 (Ref:4020517)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few doubts regarding trivia:

- Is the Fittipaldi family becoming the one with the most drivers to compete in F1, with Wilson, Emerson, Christian and Pietro all on the list?

- When is the last time the current world champion didn't start a race in the season in which he was world champion? Jackie Stewart in the United States Grand Prix 1973?
Old 4 Dec 2020, 08:53 (Ref:4020544)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

- When is the last time the current world champion didn't start a race in the season in which he was world champion? Jackie Stewart in the United States Grand Prix 1973?
I reckon Lauda in 1977, when he tied up the title and quit Ferrari when he walked away inCanada and then missed the final round in Japan.

Edit: Another one I am not sure on without checking but didnt Schumacher miss a couple of races mid season with Benetton in 1994, winning the title after knocking Hill out in Adelaide at the season finale?

Last edited by E.B; 4 Dec 2020 at 09:06.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 08:58 (Ref:4020546)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

- Is the Fittipaldi family becoming the one with the most drivers to compete in F1, with Wilson, Emerson, Christian and Pietro all on the list?

For the final one there, does it have to be a world champion in the previous season, and then a world champion in the season they missed the race?

For the last driver to miss a race in the season they won the title, I think is Alonso 2005 Indy. Before that I think Schumacher, the 2 races he missed in 1994.

For the last driver to miss a race whilst attempting to compete in a full season, whilst current world champion, I think is Schumacher, France 96.

You can have great fun with this stat by changing the definition slightly and getting totally different answers each time.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 09:21 (Ref:4020549)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Question 1: I think so. The most I could think of apart from Fittipaldi was 3 (Brabham, Villeneuve, Winkelhock and as of next year Schumacher). Plus the Fittipaldi family have the bonus of Emmo's son in law Max Papis competing in F1 too.

Question 2: By the way you phrased your question I would go Lauda in 77
Old 4 Dec 2020, 09:25 (Ref:4020550)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Question 1: I think so. The most I could think of apart from Fittipaldi was 3 (Brabham, Villeneuve, Winkelhock and as of next year Schumacher). Plus the Fittipaldi family have the bonus of Emmo's son in law Max Papis competing in F1 too.

Question 2: By the way you phrased your question I would go Lauda in 77

I would add the Andretti name to the first question.

I dont know of many families that have had multiple generations compete in F1, Indycar, NASCAR, Drag Racing and Sportscars both at Le Mans and in IMSA competition....and not only driving but also team ownership

Mario - F1, Indycar, Sportscars, NASCAR
Michael - F1, Indycar, Sportscars
Marco - Indycar, Sportscars, Formula E, F1 testing
Adam - NASCAR, Transam, Trucks
Aldo - USAC, NASCAR
Jarrett - Sportscars
Jeff - Indycar, NASCAR, Sportscars
John - NHRA, Indycar, NASCAR, Sportscars

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 4 Dec 2020 at 09:32.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4020559)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

You can add Max Papis to that list as well. He counts as family, right?
Old 4 Dec 2020, 11:16 (Ref:4020566)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The only other family I can think of that did multiple series are the Unsers?

Big Al, Bobby, Little Al and maybe another guy?
Old 4 Dec 2020, 11:38 (Ref:4020570)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we're taking the Max Papis connection to Fittipaldi, are we also accepting Mike Thackwell as part of the Brabham family?
Old 4 Dec 2020, 12:08 (Ref:4020576)   #10
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The only other family I can think of that did multiple series are the Unsers?

Big Al, Bobby, Little Al and maybe another guy?
Al Unser III ?

And Jerry, Johnny and Robby?

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If we're taking the Max Papis connection to Fittipaldi, are we also accepting Mike Thackwell as part of the Brabham family?
Are there no grandchildren in the Brabham familty that are racing?

Last edited by gert; 4 Dec 2020 at 12:15.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4020577)   #11
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When i saw this circuit on paper i thought it might be quite fun, still might race well but watching F2 practice it really is a dismal watch.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 13:21 (Ref:4020586)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Not really, seeing as it was David Brabham who married into Thackwell’s family
Old 4 Dec 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4020589)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
When i saw this circuit on paper i thought it might be quite fun, still might race well but watching F2 practice it really is a dismal watch.
It isn't an interesting track in isolation. But I guess the magic happens when everyone is out there together and racing hard. Like an oval.

Whenever I race this track on games I find myself turning onto the full circuit and making a tit of myself. Amazes me stuff like that never happens to professional racers. Maybe that is why they are professional.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 14:16 (Ref:4020592)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's interesting because it's different. It's not a good track, but whatever - it's lockdown, take what we can get and enjoy that 2020 has been a little different.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4020595)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Bottas seems to be overdriving somewhat.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 14:44 (Ref:4020599)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for that. Yes, must be Lauda. I meant winning the title before then not competing later in that season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Amazes me stuff like that never happens to professional racers. Maybe that is why they are professional.
I think you solved the answer to your own doubt there. Although, it's not the same but reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKli_aWi2g

Kimi.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:02 (Ref:4020607)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Well - the boy done good, as they say........ The Lewis haters will be out in force
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:03 (Ref:4020608)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Lewis must be beaming. A very proud father today.

Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:11 (Ref:4020610)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

George must feel like a Lewis fan right now too. He's certainly been helpful to him this weekend!
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:15 (Ref:4020612)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one of my favorite things in sports is when a young gun comes in and can hang with the old gun.

hope there is more to come.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:40 (Ref:4020621)   #21
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Twitter right now: Just goes to show it's all about the car and anyone could jump in and win races etc etc.

Rational people right now: Except for Valtteri, obviously.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:51 (Ref:4020623)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Rich monkeys are queueing to buy their superlicences for Abu Dhabi.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:54 (Ref:4020624)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's certainly going to be a different race from last weekend, what with the different layout and no Lewis Hamilton, I just hope it's a good race.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 17:45 (Ref:4020640)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Vettel losing the rear end under power?
Old 4 Dec 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4020647)   #25
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As Leclerc's out, your eyes must be working fine! First 14 cars within a second.....