Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3838866)   #76
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It was 99 in the Mondeo. Because I remember Vauxhall telling JC over the radio that the safety car was out because Menu was in the lake and he said "I hope he's packed his ****** trunks!".
I'm surprised you've had to dodge the auto-censor there, I wouldn't have thought the word 'swimming' would be deemed offensive!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3838948)   #77
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It was 99 in the Mondeo. Because I remember Vauxhall telling JC over the radio that the safety car was out because Menu was in the lake and he said "I hope he's packed his ****** trunks!".
Menu did end up in a ditch at Thruxton in 1996 in the Laguna as well, I remember seeing the footage of it when Murray Walker recalled that particular race on his Motorsport Spectacular VHS.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3840366)   #78
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Kelvin Burt’s crash was at Oulton,. He was lucky he hit the tyre barrier on the passenger side
His potential replacement Jamie Davies then had a crash of his own while testing the car prior to the next meeting.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3840371)   #79
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of sheer violence, the biggest crash was the Dave Brodie/Dave Matthews/Gavin Booth incident at Silverstone in 1973. It ended Brodie's season, ended Matthew's career, and I think Booth succumbed to the after affects of his injuries a few months later. A horrible accident.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3840374)   #80
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
In terms of sheer violence, the biggest crash was the Dave Brodie/Dave Matthews/Gavin Booth incident at Silverstone in 1973. It ended Brodie's season, ended Matthew's career, and I think Booth succumbed to the after affects of his injuries a few months later. A horrible accident.
As bad as that? HO-LY SUGAR!
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3840378)   #81
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it was a very bad one.

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crash...hp?editid1=251
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3840379)   #82
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
SHII-INGLES!

Brands Hatch 07, Mat Jackson and Matt Neal took out half the field and wrecked them to such an extent that most of them couldn't make Knockhill.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 21:42 (Ref:3840755)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

That is one I have never heard about before. So can anyone confirm Booth died as a result of the injuries, because if so, that would be the only time a BTCC accident has resulted in a death
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3840771)   #84
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
SHII-INGLES!

Brands Hatch 07, Mat Jackson and Matt Neal took out half the field and wrecked them to such an extent that most of them couldn't make Knockhill.
Those were the days when a lot of teams looked to avoid knockhill due to costs. A bit of accident damage was a convenient excuse. If I recall correctly, some teams offered to help with repairs for others, but the assistance was declined.

The total number of cars unable to compete as a result of the crash is probably closer to 3 than 9.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3840773)   #85
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Those were the days when a lot of teams looked to avoid knockhill due to costs. A bit of accident damage was a convenient excuse. If I recall correctly, some teams offered to help with repairs for others, but the assistance was declined.

The total number of cars unable to compete as a result of the crash is probably closer to 3 than 9.
Unless of course the effort was actually to made fix them as was the case with Neal's car, most expensive pile-up in BTCC History at the time, I remember Motorsport News pointing that fact out.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 00:18 (Ref:3840777)   #86
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is one I have never heard about before. So can anyone confirm Booth died as a result of the injuries, because if so, that would be the only time a BTCC accident has resulted in a death
It wasn't a BTCC event.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3840805)   #87
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I remember they had a six week break between Knockhill and Thruxton, so there was less reason to miss Knockhill now you mention it
Old 2 Aug 2018, 08:53 (Ref:3840810)   #88
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Unless of course the effort was actually to made fix them as was the case with Neal's car, most expensive pile-up in BTCC History at the time, I remember Motorsport News pointing that fact out.
Your flow of posts is confusing me again. You said that half the field were taken out, and most of them couldn't make Knockhill. Now you say cars were repaired and did make Knockhill.

So how about we look at it in terms of facts:

24 cars took the grid for R1 - 9 of them didn't complete the first lap. So just over a third of the grid (not half).

Of the 9 cars that failed to complete the first lap, 3 of them were on the grid for the next race, leaving 6 cars unable to compete.
Another 3 cars were repaired before the last race of the day.

Of the 3 cars that were unable to compete in the later races that day - only Pinkney and Ferrier failed to appear at KnockHill.

So instead of exaggerating the consequences of the crash - perhaps it is better to recognise that Jackson's accident at BH resulted in two cars being unable to compete at Knockhill.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3840830)   #89
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
It wasn't a BTCC event.
It was, the late Frank de Jong proved it - http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...tone%20GP.html
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3840831)   #90
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Your flow of posts is confusing me again. You said that half the field were taken out, and most of them couldn't make Knockhill. Now you say cars were repaired and did make Knockhill.

So how about we look at it in terms of facts:

24 cars took the grid for R1 - 9 of them didn't complete the first lap. So just over a third of the grid (not half).

Of the 9 cars that failed to complete the first lap, 3 of them were on the grid for the next race, leaving 6 cars unable to compete.
Another 3 cars were repaired before the last race of the day.

Of the 3 cars that were unable to compete in the later races that day - only Pinkney and Ferrier failed to appear at KnockHill.

So instead of exaggerating the consequences of the crash - perhaps it is better to recognise that Jackson's accident at BH resulted in two cars being unable to compete at Knockhill.
Neal's car had to be completely rebuilt and there were more than 2 cars absent from Knockhill, enough said!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3840835)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Neal's car had to be completely rebuilt and there were more than 2 cars absent from Knockhill, enough said!
But only two cars absent from knockhill were damaged in the accident at Brands.

So the accident caused just two absences. The rest of the absences had nothing to do with the crash.

Enough said!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3840841)   #92
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
But only two cars absent from knockhill were damaged in the accident at Brands.

So the accident caused just two absences. The rest of the absences had nothing to do with the crash.

Enough said!
There are other members who's posts you can pick holes in you know.

Anyway, TO-C and John George wrote off their cars at Brands in 08.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3840845)   #93
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I keep visiting the forums as see that some of the threads I enjoy have new content. I then foolishly click onto them to see what new knowledge I can learn and end up reading a load of he said she said bickering nonsense!
The nearest piece of brick wall to my computer is covered with head sized dents!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3840849)   #94
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The nearest piece of brick wall to my computer is covered with head sized dents!
Enough to make it miss Knockhill?
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3840851)   #95
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Enough to make it miss Knockhill?
Like it!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3840853)   #96
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
I'm getting sick to the teeth of this entire forum with all the bickering and being treated like an idiot. I can just imagine all of our heads as the cars involved in the Snetterton pile-up in 1993.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3840856)   #97
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I'm getting sick to the teeth of this entire forum with all the bickering and being treated like an idiot. I can just imagine all of our heads as the cars involved in the Snetterton pile-up in 1993.
Arrrrrgh!!!!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3840857)   #98
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Arrrrrgh!!!!
My feelings exactly.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3840864)   #99
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
It was, the late Frank de Jong proved it - http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...tone%20GP.html

I checked the same site and was gonna post the same thing
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3840868)   #100
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I checked the same site and was gonna post the same thing
Great minds think alike.