Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3864511)   #2476
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Renault Ondine was just an up market Dauphine, but as you say there was an Alfa version as well....... http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1962-alfa-romeo-ondine

Something else I’ve learned today!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3864516)   #2477
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I learned the same thing as you did Mike, would have bet that only the Dauphine was produced by Alfa!
For those who like small displacement cars, the 4 Chevaux Renault made in Japan by Hino was much better than the French one. The 4CV's first nickname was "pat of butter" because the first post war batch was painted with the unique color some of our friends left before going back home… But no relationship between Messer-schmitt or Focker planes.
The second nickname she got is hard to translate. Just imagine that you could see many on the roadside, wheels up, because they were prone to roll over.

John, snowing here to, started this morning at 6 while I had my female to her hydrotherapy. I mean the Yorkie of course if not would have say piscine
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3864517)   #2478
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
He was probably right. Certainly pre Stansted, Schiphol was Norfolk's international airport. Much easier & cheaper to drive to Norwich Airport, park outside the terminal hut & jump on a flight to Amsterdam than hack down to Heathrow.
On the very rare occasions i fly abroad, i look for flights from East Midlands or Birmingham Airports to European airports to then make international conections, rather than flyvfrom Heathrow.

A mate of mine, who used to work for BA, told me that when IAG (BAs parent company) bought Iberian Airways, they considered Madrid to be “Londons Third Airport”!!!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3864525)   #2479
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My second ever car was a yellow Renault Dauphine (nicknamed the Custard Bowl by my friends). Changing gears was always a travel into the uknown, but it got one from A to B.

And for a very short period I also became one of the first "Minicab" drivers, joining the team in their Dauphines shortly before it was disbanded.

And in '66, I bought my first new car, a Hillman Imp; I had learnt how to pedal a rear engined car quickly, and it suited me.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3864527)   #2480
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
My second ever car was a yellow Renault Dauphine (nicknamed the Custard Bowl by my friends). Changing gears was always a travel into the uknown, but it got one from A to B.

And for a very short period I also became one of the first "Minicab" drivers, joining the team in their Dauphines shortly before it was disbanded.

And in '66, I bought my first new car, a Hillman Imp; I had learnt how to pedal a rear engined car quickly, and it suited me.
I've got a Dinky Dauphine minicab!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3864529)   #2481
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Changing gears was always a travel into the uknown
Sure, this lasted for years over several ranges. A quick way to learn the name silent bloc! I'm not sure the first Dauphine had a heater fitted as original equipment but surely the export version was far better than the domestic one.
Because the front end was errr… driving for itself, many added some weight in the trunk or in the space behind the license plate supposed to contain the spare wheel. Happy days.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3864530)   #2482
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, easy to find pictures of the 4CV police version. Look at the doors! Black and white they were said magpie.
I briefly drove an Imp Stiletto, great car. I think the NSU 1200 TT was a good car.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3864531)   #2483
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imp Stilleto or Sunbeam Stilleto?

Either way the basis for some great Special Saloons
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3864532)   #2484
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What was Dauphine minicab, please? A kind of Uber limousine?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3864533)   #2485
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What was Dauphine minicab, please? A kind of Uber limousine?

Yes, also called Private Hire in the UK. Unlike a fully licenced taxi, it cannot be hailed in the street; it has to be ordered online or on the phone.

And in the more than 50 years that they have existed in the UK, the authorities have been unable to stamp out certain drivers flouting the rules. I regularly arrange for a private hire car to pick me up at the station to take me home, and it is common to see the minicabs trying to find fares from amongst the arriving rail travellers. And London, so I understand, has an even greater problem with this.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3864535)   #2486
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Wahoo, sorry can't say. I do remember a nice looking coupé but whether it was Sunbeam or Hillman ? Is there a huge difference?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3864536)   #2487
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As to minicabs, we dont have exactly the same situation here Mike. We have many "pirates" but only bad things happen with them. Uber is becoming more and more popular, clean cars and cheap fare. In principle you must contact them by phone…
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3864541)   #2488
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=andy97;3864517]On the very rare occasions i fly abroad, i look for flights from East Midlands or Birmingham Airports to European airports to then make international conections, rather than flyvfrom Heathrow.

Me too, but coming back from the Canadian Grand Prix 10 or so years ago it took me longer to get from Paris to Birmingham than it did from Montrael to Paris, owing to connection issues!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3864542)   #2489
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

Either way the basis for some great Special Saloons

To be pedantic, there was the Sunbeam Stiletto, Hillman (and Sunbeam) Imp Californian or the Singer Chamois. How to mess up a production line - nothing like keeping things simple!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3864559)   #2490
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Does anyone here entered Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or, year 2005, grid 1000 kilomètres, car Lotus 11 (I guess…). Tall, gentleman, fast, nice person. English of course!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3864561)   #2491
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
To be pedantic, there was the Sunbeam Stiletto, Hillman (and Sunbeam) Imp Californian or the Singer Chamois. How to mess up a production line - nothing like keeping things simple!

I can be even more pedantic as a card-carrying Imp Club member.

Saloons were Hillman Imp, Singer Chamois (mildly more luxurious), or the higher powered (!) Sunbeam Imp Sport or Singer Chamois Sport.

Coupes were Hillman Californian or Sunbeam Stiletto (equivalent of the Sport mechanically).

Then the Husky estates and the Commer Van, of course.

First car I bought for myself was a basic Hillman Imp, spent years co-driving a 998 Rallye Imp, and currently still have a project Husky

One of the first cars I drove (on private roads, when maybe 16) was a Renault Dauphine Gordini belonging to one of the students we had staying with us at the time.....I do recollect that you didn't so much put it in gear as vaguely aim the lever in the direction that the gear position should be, and hope. The student replaced the Dauphine with a brand new Imp when he got his grant cheque.....I blame him for my Imp habit
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3864564)   #2492
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I understand because the Dauphine was not sport oriented, being more a family car. Only the confidential 1093 was developed with rallye in mind.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3864568)   #2493
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I always yearned for a 998cc Rallye Imp, or an R8 Gordini, or a Simca Rallye 2/3.....

Would be great to see a Gp2 Imp in Touring Cars, and back in 2010 there was a post on tenths from a member with the same surname as the famous builder- suggesting that one was being built. Wonder what happened to the project?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3864570)   #2494
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Agree about the 33 Stradale. That car is a looker......
Hmm.

The result of a threesome between a Ferrari Dino, an Alpine A110 and a Stratos?

But yes, if I owned one of the 18 allegedly built I would not complain about its looks.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3864580)   #2495
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I always yearned for a 998cc Rallye Imp, or an R8 Gordini, or a Simca Rallye 2/3.....

Would be great to see a Gp2 Imp in Touring Cars, and back in 2010 there was a post on tenths from a member with the same surname as the famous builder- suggesting that one was being built. Wonder what happened to the project?
Have you seen what R8 Gordini's sell for these days?

I suspect just like Lotus Cortina's, there are a good few fake ones.

Was it Hermes who built a fairly hot 8S with an engine & gearbox a la Lotus Europa?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3864588)   #2496
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm.

The result of a threesome between a Ferrari Dino, an Alpine A110 and a Stratos?

But yes, if I owned one of the 18 allegedly built I would not complain about its looks.
The 1967 prototype in the museo is the best looking...... The later cars lost something. And the wheel design- one of the best ever!

Has anyone done a serious book on wheel designs yet? That would be an interesting read......
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3864591)   #2497
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

There's a thread about it on the Imp Club forum, the car was completed and did some track work, then in 2012 there was this post:

"A sad day in the Bevan house !!!!!!!!

Today we parted with our car which will probably be the last Bevan IMP built to Group 2 spec.

The car went to Tom from Scotland and will sit in his heated garage.

I wish Tom all the best with the car, I understand he is looking to show it at various event's.

Best Wishes

Jonathan Bevan"

I may have to do a little more checking!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3864592)   #2498
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Has anyone done a serious book on wheel designs yet? That would be an interesting read......
Could have an accompanying volume on tyre tread patterns.

Maybe a follow up on Sidewall Style and the changing world of White Walled decoration that could be brought right up to date with the colour coding for F1 tyres.

Gotta catch the new generations - ebook versions required? Maybe just a PowerPoint?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3864597)   #2499
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Could have an accompanying volume on tyre tread patterns.

Maybe a follow up on Sidewall Style and the changing world of White Walled decoration that could be brought right up to date with the colour coding for F1 tyres.

Gotta catch the new generations - ebook versions required? Maybe just a PowerPoint?

Don't forget a torque-ing book - there's nothing quite like the spoke(n) word!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 23:26 (Ref:3864618)   #2500
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Does anyone here entered Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or, year 2005, grid 1000 kilomètres, car Lotus 11 (I guess…). Tall, gentleman, fast, nice person. English of course!
That's a full description of me and I was there I think. But alas not in that car or race!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk