Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Mar 2010, 01:53 (Ref:2657573)   #51
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Pre War Grid was full and oversubscribed.Would have been again this year.
Have to send some of cars to May meeting which looking at makeup could surpass Festival
Old 22 Mar 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2657650)   #52
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is probable that the dilution has gone further this year in an attempt to find participants capable of filling 48 car grids so the track doesn't look/feel empty. Pre-War replaced by Historic Road Sports - I'd be concerned as its just not memorable enough eg Roddy Cohn's Lagonda being thrown sideways through old Abbey by Martin Stretton will stay with me forever - what a way to drive future father-in-laws car!
2 years ago the HSCC roadsport races were both very good, perhaps the best races of the weekend, with Porsche, Morgan and TVR fighting for the lead in both races.

The one race that is missing from this meeting is the Can-Am/Interserie types. Silverstone does need big powerful cars.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2657657)   #53
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=rbs;2657650]2 years ago the HSCC roadsport races were both very good, perhaps the best races of the weekend, with Porsche, Morgan and TVR fighting for the lead in both races.

QUOTE]

I think that is a case of rose tinited glasses. I am afraid it was the least impressive race from a speccy point of view (I actually watched it on the telly at home) Watching Jensen Healeys etc spluttering around the track spewing oil everywhere is not in the same league as Pre War (and I speak as someone with an HRS eligible car who will be putting an entry in)
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2657666)   #54
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dare say you will find something spluttering around in most races.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2657669)   #55
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whic hopefully will be more interesting that a Jensen Healey! Let me just say it was teh most clubbie race at the meeting and I dont think at a high profile Festival a race like that has a place.... I said the same thing back then as well!
Dont get me wrong I will put an entry in but I stll think it is the wrong race if Pre War were dropped in its favour
Old 22 Mar 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2657985)   #56
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
I have to admit the Jensen Healey was not one of the more "pleasing" cars of the 70's and most of the grid was real clubmen given the chance to race on the GP circuit which the leaders did exceptionally well. A much better show than the well favoured Group c cars have put onat the last 2 festivals. They are historic cars just not well liked by many.
Personally I liked the Pre war race but there are many people who do not like VSCC type racing.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2657990)   #57
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Since when did the Pre War race have anything to do with VSCC type racing?

98% were real cars .
Old 22 Mar 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2657993)   #58
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
As yet I have not seen any artist's for the concerts published on the Silverstone classic website. Friday 23rd according to their own web site will be Dr. Feelgood.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2657997)   #59
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Concert details at the bottom

http://goosecommunicationsltd.newswe...gwz?email=true
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2658031)   #60
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't really get me tingling. They'll have to come up with a decent headliner to draw the crowds
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2658053)   #61
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS View Post
No FIA Historic formula one either - I thought I had seen Silverstone on their web site at one point but now not there and not on the SilvClassic web site either.
Grand Prix Masters are at Silverstone over Easter (part of the Superleague festival, along with World Sportscar Masters & Dutch Supercar Challenge), though that only goes up to 1977.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2658057)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the tentenths climax blues band

old, expensive and unreliable, just like the cars
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2658121)   #63
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just listening to http://www.phoenixfm.co.uk/ (from somewhere up north, isn't the internet wonderful?) who are playing some tracks recorded during the Groundhogs' recent tour...now there's a blues band worth their salt and still with original components, well some at least...and nothing to do with the tyre of the same name (I don't think)

Last edited by Colin McKay; 22 Mar 2010 at 20:46.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2658134)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Doesn't really get me tingling. They'll have to come up with a decent headliner to draw the crowds
Or something relevant.

How about creating a tribute band called Pink Fluid performing stuff somewhere between the Floyd and Turin Brakes? (whoever they were ....)

Maybe put them on as an alternative attraction at Delta's BBQ?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2658194)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Climax Blues Band were from Stafford?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2658295)   #66
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MMMM no Santana then! They were awesome last year.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 01:20 (Ref:2658316)   #67
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon.

I could get a decent Blues Band from that way on. Did you ever catch The Herbaceous Borders, John? My Bro was one of the guitarists, and lead slide...

Santana? Oh yeah, Baby. I could have bopped, all night...
Old 23 Mar 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2658378)   #68
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Turin Brakes? (whoever they were ....)

Maybe put them on as an alternative attraction at Delta's BBQ?
Or indeed who 'Turin Brakes' are, seeing they have just released another album.

I fear that organisers recognise the draw of Delta barbecue, and are struggling to find a big enough alternative attraction......

Going back to racing- see the Fiat 500s are due on track sunday, although seems a little quiet on that front!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2658573)   #69
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, for the Delta 'house band', the Classic does usually have a few 'professional' musos taking part. Knopfler, Rea, and there must be a few others. That bloke from Travis?

James
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2658616)   #70
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Mr Neil Primrose,the sweety drummer with his Lola and Porsche fleet.

Good bloke but very competitive!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2658628)   #71
simon drabble
Veteran

sorry did I read that right - the drummer from Sweet has a collection of Porsches and Lolae? So was it only the lead singer who ended up destitute?
Valentine Lindsay is also known to both play and drive with some fair degree of talent
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2658630)   #72
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

He's from Travis as mentioned by James.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2658631)   #73
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Sweety socks etc.etc.!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2658649)   #74
simon drabble
Veteran

I forgot you are a cockneeee ;o)
Old 23 Mar 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2658905)   #75
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Rugby Union term old chap!