Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Nov 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2791523)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Classic

Includes E Type Challenge.

http://silverstoneclassic.com/
Old 19 Nov 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2793172)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Classic 2011 site was launched today

http://silverstoneclassic.com/
Old 19 Nov 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2793239)   #3
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"and the ‘Big Beasts’ muscle car race which provided such a sensational finale to the 2010 event."

Might learn more about this tomorrow night, let's hope they leave a few spaces for us clubbies again...all I need now is an engine...

"with a new ‘village green’ entertainment area. This will recreate many traditional British rural pursuits with steam traction engines, morris dancers, punch & judy, village store and central catering meeting point"

OMG!!!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2793371)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

It does look like its going back towards its Coys/Brooks roots.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2793373)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm,

It does look like its going back towards its Coys/Brooks roots.
Is that such a bad thing?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2793448)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, I like the idea personally.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2793463)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Back to Coys etc.No chance.

No Pre War,no Ferrrai just usual enlarged Club event

Legends will do SMT and Woodcote with a Pre 63 Race by Ben and Carol.

Got to be some decent classes.Donington Festival could be more representative.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2793465)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

I was looking at it in a holistic sense really. Point taken re pre war but then I always went to the S&G when that was on.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2793468)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The event having a central area will be good, especially as both pits are being used. I assume the cars not in garages will still be housed near the northern garages as there is little room behind the modern ones.

Nice to see the Group C cars back, a return of the big engined tourers and I hope for a decent grid of E types.

No mention of the slowly sideways rally cars

Having the route masters and big screens back is good.

The "celebrity" race will have to improve their drivers and cars hugely to make me bother watching.

Several mentions of 'on the day' ticket prices not increasing yet they have hiked the early bird prices
Old 20 Nov 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2793540)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
N-o-o, puleeze, put my stand well away from the village green, especially the morris dancers. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhh! It sounds pure torture.........
Old 20 Nov 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2793553)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ugh, I've just read further. I see it's not just traction engines on show but a steam rally. It gets worse, I hope they have decent security. When they have the steam rally at Combe everything has to be locked away...the rallyers nick anything, even the signs on the toilet. Looks like they've just added two hours work every day cos I'll have to empty the stand, fittings and all.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2793559)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
No mention of the slowly sideways rally cars

I think they used the National circuit straight this year. With the demise of the 'Bridge' circuit the straight becomes part of the main show - nowhere (central) for the rally boys to play unless they go off the the rally school track.

Or have I missed something?

Progress is a funny old thing.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2793868)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Festival needs a balanced programme as Goodwood uses not a lot of 60/70's stuff.or it will not suceed as a package.

That's why it needs Pre War race probably 2x30 min races and WSM to round off Saturday night as well as a couple of Tin Top races one,GT and odd single seater races.A Group C if they can find cars.

It needs S & G so the less sophisticated of Motoring petrol heads can hide when decent racing is on that may teach them something .

Basic problem is that its just another round in the major organisers programme and nothing much else.This applies to all races.

It will always now lose out to Goodwood and will never approach the days when John Fitz and BRDC decided what would be included in programme.

Pity .
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2793922)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

S & G? Translation please.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2793929)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scarf and Goggles. The pub
Old 22 Nov 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2794130)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

K. Of L8 it's been hard to understand what UR saying. UD cmpln if i wrote in txt wuldnt u m8?

(and I'm not very good at it )
Old 22 Nov 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2794174)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a general point of order (although I understand why you have done it here, of course!) textspeak is specifically excluded (see FAQs). As you were!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2794511)   #18
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Group C's and Morris Men. All we need is Showaddywaddy to perform and it would be complete. Bring it on!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2794514)   #19
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
N-o-o, puleeze, put my stand well away from the village green, especially the morris dancers. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhh! It sounds pure torture.........
Not my idea of an historic racing event!
Old 7 Dec 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2800937)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone Classic 2011

Just had an e mail from the organisers. Looks very exciting for next year.I'm pleased they have listened to us competitors and also making the event allowing more car clubs to be involved.Well done Goose. Sorry but I'm still not convinced about a celebratory race but looking forward to the event anyhow.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2800982)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just had an e mail from the organisers. Looks very exciting for next year.I'm pleased they have listened to us competitors and also making the event allowing more car clubs to be involved.Well done Goose. Sorry but I'm still not convinced about a celebratory race but looking forward to the event anyhow.
Whoops- already a thread started for the Classic- somewhere!

So how come you get an email and us privateers don't

Gilbern Owners Club called me to ask if I though it would be worth them displaying there. Based on previous years obviously 'yes'.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2801050)   #22
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I'm afraid you'll have to do without my services at the barbecue next year - we've got a Historic FF2000 race at Spa that weekend.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2801095)   #23
brands
Veteran

from the Classic site :

Friday 22nd July – 0900 to 1900 hrs

* All qualifying sessions (apart from Celebrity Race)

Saturday 23rd July – 0900 to 2100 hrs

* Grand Prix Masters F1
* HGPCA Rear engine pre 66 Grand Prix
* HGPCA Front engine pre 61 Grand Prix
* Group C endurance cars
* Historic Formula Junior
* HSCC Big engine Touring Cars
* E type Celebration race
* Masters Gentleman Drivers GT
* Italian Historic Sports Car Cup
* RAC Woodcote Trophy for pre 56 Sports Cars
* U2TC
* Celebrity Race

Sunday 24th July – 0900 to 1800 hrs

* Grand Prix Masters F1
* HGPCA Rear engine pre 66 Grand Prix
* HGPCA Front engine pre 61 Grand Prix
* Group C endurance cars
* Historic Formula Junior
* HSCC Big engine Touring Cars
* E type Celebration race
* WSM Sports Cars
* RAC Tourist Trophy for Historic Cars
* Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for pre 61 Sports Cars
Old 7 Dec 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2801131)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
from the Classic site :

Saturday 23rd July – 0900 to 2100 hrs
That's a long day and by 9 pm it will be quite dark too.

iirc this year activity on the Saturday ended at 2000hrs so about 2030 by the time the marshals had made it off the circuit.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 05:41 (Ref:2801200)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So usual suspects plus E types and group C. What have they replaced?

Suggestion for last race into the night saturday- U2TC- Or maybe the 'celebrities' as will be even more difficult to recognise....

But I guess more likely group C? Can't be WSM as they are racing sunday.