Old 19 Jul 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3837602)   #151
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The article didn’t say, but I bet Papa Stroll can outbid Checo’s sponsors.
Had a feeling it might be Perez, can't see a Mercedes-supported team letting Merc's protege go that easily.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3837604)   #152
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
In place of...
Perez who will leave for Haas most likely.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3837607)   #153
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The trouble is, Stroll and Sirotkin are integral parts of Williams' current 'plan', aren't they......? So I don't think anyone can be chastised for criticising that element of the 'plan'......
Exactly - that’s the plan. And very shortsighted it was too.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3837644)   #154
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
To clarify a bit more, rumour suggests Stroll Snr is interested in a share of Force India. And as part of the deal, Stroll Jnr is in one of the seats.

Perez is rumoured to be heading to Haas for 2019.

Only rumours though at this stage.

Old 20 Jul 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3837648)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The fact Bottas is now confirmed for 2019, means I doubt Ocon would be the one to make way for Stroll
Old 20 Jul 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3837701)   #156
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The fact Bottas is now confirmed for 2019, means I doubt Ocon would be the one to make way for Stroll
It would make zero sense......
Old 20 Jul 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3837720)   #157
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It would make zero sense......
Ocon to Renault and Sains to McLaren is the rumour.....

Williams, it would be Sirotkin and the highest bidder, sadly.

PL's new front wing going well so far, I see....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jul 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3837783)   #158
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well.

Last edited by Mekola; 21 Jul 2018 at 06:50.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:21 (Ref:3838832)   #159
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
If the rumours are correct, Williams are set to be the Mercedes 'B' team next season. This deal will include Mercedes suspension components, and a 2019 Mercedes gearbox, apparently.

This is a big move for Williams, who have always said, apart from the engine, the entire car will be built in-house. They have always fancied themselves as a constructor.

Will it pay off?

Old 26 Jul 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3838853)   #160
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
If the rumours are correct, Williams are set to be the Mercedes 'B' team next season. This deal will include Mercedes suspension components, and a 2019 Mercedes gearbox, apparently.

This is a big move for Williams, who have always said, apart from the engine, the entire car will be built in-house. They have always fancied themselves as a constructor.
Sounds almost hypocritical for a team that at one time blackballed the whole concept of customer cars, which by definition is what reports such as this imply. I know time has passed and situations changed but it is a major about turn.
Will they now classify themselves as assemblers rather than constructors?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3838857)   #161
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
They’ll still be building the chassis. I believe Force India have much the same deal, without explicitly being a Stuttgart B team. Don’t see a problem; and if it helps Williams climb back up the field, I welcome it. Watching them at the moment is painful. Like watching a past-his-best prizefighter step back into the ring.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3838864)   #162
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They’ll still be building the chassis. I believe Force India have much the same deal, without explicitly being a Stuttgart B team. Don’t see a problem; and if it helps Williams climb back up the field, I welcome it. Watching them at the moment is painful. Like watching a past-his-best prizefighter step back into the ring.
I totally agree, I also find it sad to see the once great team floundering around at the back. It'll also hopefully give them a chance to dun more talented drivers, ones with bigger balls than wallets!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3838870)   #163
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I believe that Stroll snr has been trying to convince Williams to buy in some technology. Makes perfect sense to buy the gearbox that is designed to go with the Mercedes engine and no doubt developed and tested on a much bigger budget. Otherwise you are simply spending budget, replicating something that is out there already. Would the Williams of today, design and build a better gearbox than Mercedes?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3838881)   #164
peebee2
Veteran

The Williams gearbox is decades out of date.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3838935)   #165
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Interesting interview in today’s Times with Claire Williams. She says she hopes Nate one day runs the team. I just hope Williams is still going by then. At least she’s not hiding the deep hole that they’re in.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3838953)   #166
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And HERE is another interview with an insight from Claire about the pressures of running the team
Old 27 Jul 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3839031)   #167
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
And HERE is another interview with an insight from Claire about the pressures of running the team
Albanian mafia family, perhaps.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3839176)   #168
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Almost too close to the truth to be funny.

It’s sad, it really is. I know nothing lasts forever, and Williams have no pre-ordained entitlement to run at the front, but I grew up watching Formula 1 in the late 80s and early 90s, when they were dominant. To see them (and McLaren) tugging around towards the back is painful, as it must have been for the generation who grew up on Lotus and Brabham and had to watch them crawl towards their slow deaths.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3839188)   #169
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Almost too close to the truth to be funny.

It’s sad, it really is. I know nothing lasts forever, and Williams have no pre-ordained entitlement to run at the front, but I grew up watching Formula 1 in the late 80s and early 90s, when they were dominant. To see them (and McLaren) tugging around towards the back is painful, as it must have been for the generation who grew up on Lotus and Brabham and had to watch them crawl towards their slow deaths.
Actually I grew up on Lotus and BRM, and it was really sad to see it all go down the tubes, especially as I went on to work for Lotus (Cars) in the heyday of the 79. It was also sad to see the end of Tyrell. And now it's sad to see McLaren and Williams as shadows of their former selves. However Williams at least has been there before (about 1977/8?) and managed to pull themselves up to a position of dominance. Who know! Go for it Claire!
Old 28 Jul 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3839300)   #170
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Claire Williams To Go?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jul 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3839342)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope Williams don’t turn out like Lotus, unable to survive without it’s founding member
Old 28 Jul 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3839406)   #172
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
i see the article has an all too typical quote from Jacques Villeneuve stirring the pot.

of course entitled to his opinion, to some degree he has earned his right to say what he thinks, and i dont always disagree with him...but he really is one of the worst pundits out there these days.

appreciate the sharing of the link of course and like the source site...just more of a side rant about JV on my part.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3839417)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

These days you need to take Jacques with a pince of salt. Let’s just say sometimes I agree with, sometimes I do not
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3839570)   #174
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i see the article has an all too typical quote from Jacques Villeneuve stirring the pot.

of course entitled to his opinion, to some degree he has earned his right to say what he thinks, and i dont always disagree with him...but he really is one of the worst pundits out there these days.

appreciate the sharing of the link of course and like the source site...just more of a side rant about JV on my part.
Couldn’t agree more. He likes shooting his mouth off and is at risk of becoming a professional controversialist. A bit like Niki Lauda, without the weight Niki carries as Chairman of Mercedes-AMG.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3839575)   #175
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more. He likes shooting his mouth off and is at risk of becoming a professional controversialist. A bit like Niki Lauda, without the weight Niki carries as Chairman of Mercedes-AMG.

JV has just taken over from Eddie Irvine as the go-to rent-a-quote.