Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Nov 2023, 15:33 (Ref:4185013)   #1376
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes that’s us . Driving into the Sun. I had a lovely day . The day started at 4 am and got into bed at 9 pm. Cream crackard . Think the best part was all the cars at Hyde Park . Such a well organised event . If I had one negative it was the long time getting out of London . This down to high volumn of traffic . The De Dion Bouton ran well all the way . We had one break down when fuel supply ran dry going up a long hill after Crawley . Had to jump out and push although there was a tow car which arrived very quickly . We got to Brighton arround 4 .15 15 min before cut off curfew . Not sure how strict they are on this cut off time as there were plenty of cars behind us. We had nice hot stew as a welcome . Delta crew were waiting for us and we loaded the lovely little car up and went home. A most memorable day .
You are right Delta, it is quite an event. I've only ever been to the start, but quite a few times. There is something magical about being in Hyde Park just as dawn is breaking & all (cars & crew!) are spluttering into life.

Haven't been for quite a few years now but must do so again. A Dutch friend tried for a few years to get an entry for a car he had rebuilt but health problems intervened in the end.

A slightly eccentric engineer who lived near me in Norfolk built-up a De Dion Bouton from a box of bits & ran that a few times but I would imagine he has passed on by now.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 7 Nov 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4185028)   #1377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Heard good things about these types of event. Glad you all enjoyed it, certainly looks fun
Old 7 Nov 2023, 18:53 (Ref:4185036)   #1378
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalled it for around 15 years, always in Hyde Park doing the start. In that time I only got soaked a couple of times, my abiding memory is of driving home @ 9am having finished for the day and finding the streets of London were pretty much empty.
I stopped mainly because of the cost of getting into Central London.
Old 8 Nov 2023, 13:12 (Ref:4185121)   #1379
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Remember going with my Dad - must have been back in the early 60s when he took me to London for a week. Amazing to think that some of the same cars - which seemed pretty ancient back then - will doubtless still be competing some 60 years on
Old 8 Nov 2023, 19:24 (Ref:4185175)   #1380
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!
Yes, sure, quite an event even for us, well followed in F.
@ John: everything's fine for you and friends I hope. From telly news, doesn't look great in your area. Stay safe.
Old 8 Nov 2023, 19:54 (Ref:4185183)   #1381
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes, sure, quite an event even for us, well followed in F.
@ John: everything's fine for you and friends I hope. From telly news, doesn't look great in your area. Stay safe.
We're OK, thanks Gerard. It is a bit wet, though!

The Canche, which rises just outside my village & flows through the middle of it, now has a flood alert, but it would have to be the end of the world before a flood reached me., despite being at the bottom of a valley, albeit a small one. However, the other side of me is a lane that climbs steadily out of the village & at times of heavy rain the water simply pours down the lane & turns left in front of my house, which is fortunately above road level.

As you will probably have seen from the TV, the poor folks of Blendeques, St Omer & Boulogne in particular have really been hit very badly. One can only feel for them...
Old 8 Nov 2023, 21:34 (Ref:4185192)   #1382
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!
Good for you, Michèle and friends, John. As the the other places and people it seems its every man and woman for himself/herself (in your words literally sauve qui peut).
Old 9 Nov 2023, 06:42 (Ref:4185212)   #1383
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Good for you, Michèle and friends, John. As the the other places and people it seems its every man and woman for himself/herself (in your words literally sauve qui peut).
There are people in the places I mentioned with up to a metre of water in their houses & there does seem to be a lot of mutual aid going on, together with the Sapeur Pompiers who are doing a brilliant job as usual, going from house to house by boat rescuing people, particularly the elderly. There was even a farmer on the news last night having to rescue his herd of cows from one water-logged barn to a drier place.

In places they have received 3-4 months' rain in less than a day. Thankfully we haven't still got the high winds of last week to add to the problem. Anyone know where I can buy a rubber dinghy??
Old 9 Nov 2023, 06:58 (Ref:4185213)   #1384
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There are people in the places I mentioned with up to a metre of water in their houses & there does seem to be a lot of mutual aid going on/Anyone know where I can buy a rubber dinghy??
Yes, people from the North (les gens du Nord) are great. Looking for an inflatable boat:ask any perpetrator you'll find quite a lot in your area

But I suggest to go for a jetski (sea scooter) more practical because of a limited effective draught and offering a good resale value. Rawing or sailing are good solutions too, very much green oriented… You have water and wind just dare and target style and panache!
Old 9 Nov 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4185216)   #1385
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes, people from the North (les gens du Nord) are great. Looking for an inflatable boat:ask any perpetrator you'll find quite a lot in your area

But I suggest to go for a jetski (sea scooter) more practical because of a limited effective draught and offering a good resale value. Rawing or sailing are good solutions too, very much green oriented… You have water and wind just dare and target style and panache!
There actually not many rubber dinghies in my area - they are actually all imported to order from Austria & smuggled in via Belgium. It is very well organised!

Did you see the cruise ship caught in the storm last week in Bay of Biscay? Glad I wasn't on that one? Even a ship that size was struggling.
Old 9 Nov 2023, 10:41 (Ref:4185228)   #1386
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those interested, Mr E's TV series starts next Thursday, 16th Nov, in the UK on the Quest channel at 10 P.M.
Old 9 Nov 2023, 12:49 (Ref:4185241)   #1387
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
For those interested, Mr E's TV series starts next Thursday, 16th Nov, in the UK on the Quest channel at 10 P.M.
No idea what this is, Mike, but looked it up on the supposed Quest schedule and did not get any sort of result I expected.
Old 9 Nov 2023, 12:53 (Ref:4185242)   #1388
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
No idea what this is, Mike, but looked it up on the supposed Quest schedule and did not get any sort of result I expected.
It's called Lucky!

https://www.luckytvseries.com/

You can watch Lucky! on these platforms
UK/Eire – discovery+ and Quest (from Nov 16 2023)
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Japan – DAZN
Hungary – Spektrum
Greece – Cosmote
Cyprus – Cablenet
Latin America – ESPN/Star
Australia – STAN
France – Paramount+
Northern Europe – Viaplay
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 9 Nov 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4185252)   #1389
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Mike Harte, I have a friend in Portugal who is often telling me that his government is as bad as it's border country, and I have said "I don't believe it"

Antonio Costa, Portugal’s outgoing prime minister, fired his chief of staff Vitor Escaria on Thursday because of corruption allegations.

Escaria was arrested in a sweeping series of police raids that rocked the nation Wednesday.

Costa was not arrested but was named in the investigation. As a result, he rapidly announced his resignation and said the accusations were not compatible with his role as prime minister.

Escaria remains in custody and is set to give a statement Thursday, according to Portuguese news agency, Lusa. Several media outlets reported that police found €75,800 ($81,000) in cash in his office.

The graft inquiry centers on a series of concessions related to green energy and lithium mining projects.

One of the open-pit lithium mine projects under investigation was approved in the spring by regulators, despite widespread opposition and a critical report from a UN expert.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Nov 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4185255)   #1390
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If only we had known what was to happen in the future we would have bought 2 or3 and just stored them, at the time I would think that a lot of us could have afforded to do it, hindsight is a marvelous thing !!
An immaculate low-mileage 1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 sold at auction last week for a staggering £596,250 (with commission) that's four times higher than the previous record for a car of this ilk !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Nov 2023, 16:48 (Ref:4185258)   #1391
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
If only we had known what was to happen in the future we would have bought 2 or3 and just stored them, at the time I would think that a lot of us could have afforded to do it, hindsight is a marvelous thing !!
An immaculate low-mileage 1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 sold at auction last week for a staggering £596,250 (with commission) that's four times higher than the previous record for a car of this ilk !!
Hi Gordon, I think you'll find that that RS500 sold much earlier this year, here's the auction from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02cxjgLuVM
Old 9 Nov 2023, 16:52 (Ref:4185259)   #1392
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, I think that they may have to go some way to financially top what was going on in Marbella, which involves thousands of properties that were built illegally. Apart from the, I think female, mayor and a few of her cohorts, the main man was a guy by the name of Roca, if my memory is correct, who was the civil servant in charge of the planning office.

It transpired that his main residence was actually an estate, including a mansion , farm, orchards and vineyards somewhere between St Javier and La Manga. When it was raided by the police, they found loads of original paintings by Picasso and other revered artists plus loads of other pieces of art. And in the basement, they found suitcases stuffed with Euros thought to be in the hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Oh, and he used to commute to work by helicopter.
Old 9 Nov 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4185261)   #1393
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hi Gordon, I think you'll find that that RS500 sold much earlier this year, here's the auction from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02cxjgLuVM
In a similar vein, I looked at the current values of Mondeo ST 200 and 220. A low mileage (less than 40k) version will go for as much as 20k. Looks like another Ford sleeper.
Old 9 Nov 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4185265)   #1394
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Costa was not arrested but was named in the investigation. As a result, he rapidly announced his resignation and said the accusations were not compatible with his role as prime minister.
Ha yes? Surprising…
Old 9 Nov 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4185266)   #1395
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I just happened to see it on my news page today and as we are out of the country a fair bit I don't keep up with what's going on. However, how silly it's getting
What will happen is some people will be taking a fair knock in the future like they did in the 90s. One of my customers bought 2 Aston Martins at the top of the "silly time" and had to sell them after 2 or 3 years, he lost over a hundred grand !
Old 9 Nov 2023, 19:53 (Ref:4185278)   #1396
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There are people in the places I mentioned with up to a metre of water in their houses & there does seem to be a lot of mutual aid going on, together with the Sapeur Pompiers who are doing a brilliant job as usual, going from house to house by boat rescuing people, particularly the elderly. There was even a farmer on the news last night having to rescue his herd of cows from one water-logged barn to a drier place.

In places they have received 3-4 months' rain in less than a day. Thankfully we haven't still got the high winds of last week to add to the problem. Anyone know where I can buy a rubber dinghy??
Last year an underwater volcanic eruption blasted massive amounts of extra water into the atmosphere .
https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-fac...-stratosphere/
It is inevitable that will lead to much higher rainfall amounts around the world for a year or two . And today I heard there has been another underwater volcano erupted in the Pacific , probably putting another massive extra amount of water up there .

So loads more extra rain . Buying boats sounds like a very good idea .
Old 9 Nov 2023, 22:29 (Ref:4185286)   #1397
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Ah ha!

Thank you.

It's interesting that Bing (on my PC) failed to recognise that I am in the UK and readily presented me with a quite artistically presented (for a TV schedule) list of what was available in America. Something I failed to spot at the time.

Hence the confusion.

This evening, attempting to search for the UK Quest site, Bing told me it was not currently available.

Bing not available late evening in the UK must be a little embarrassing for Microsoft.

I bet AI has not forewarned them about that!
Old 9 Nov 2023, 22:48 (Ref:4185288)   #1398
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Re. the value of cars, this is quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8T4tq8Sc4Q

Recent model Porsche centric but nonetheless it's something that seems to be a common affliction across the industry and across the world.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect as a section at around 21mins into the video where he covers a new feature of Autotrader that provides a list of changes for the listings for an advertised car. Date and new price can be tracked.

So one sees what people were asking, how long the car has been advertised and by how much the asking price has been, in the cases shown, reduced.

I wonder if the same sort of trend can be spotted in typical run-of-the-mill shopping trolleys or, perhaps, EVs?

Will the regular loss at sea of car transporter ships become an ever more frequent event in the next few years as vehicle manufacturers desperately try to manipulate cash flow under threat from legal forms or govt. extorsion connected to climate change mitigation policies?
Old 10 Nov 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4185310)   #1399
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every bubble bursts. And now cars are so fast and enforcement so tight that you will lose your licence in a blink if you use even a fraction of what's available so unless you go on track it's a total waste of money. Why spend so much on something that you can't drive as it's intended ?

I'm sure there's going to be a softening in 60/70s car prices too as the generation changes.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Nov 2023, 08:52 (Ref:4185312)   #1400
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Max . Agree with you .I don’t have a road car , I do have two broken race trucks and three vans . Few push bikes . I really fancy an Austin Seven and this winter we have a Seven Cambridge coming in for rebuild . Mrs Delta not that keen and always says we should get another motor bike . The Cambridge is a little sports car so I’m hoping she will come round to the idea . Might start a new thread with the progress . ?
Closed Thread