Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Sep 2003, 00:14 (Ref:709694)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Engine performance ?

Not sure if this has come up beofre this year or not, but now that Ford are supplying engines to the entire grid how close in horsepower are they ?

I mean does dale Coyne's team have the same power as Newmann/Haas ??

or is there different levels of performance depending on how much you paid for the engines??

OK I know Coynes other equipment is old and falling apart and he cant compete at all with Newman/Haas but has he at least got the same horsepower ?
Old 6 Sep 2003, 00:57 (Ref:709711)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well...Ford is getting the same amount of money and doing the rebuilds for all of the teams, so I don't think Coyne is getting a raw deal there.

However, the Coyne cars are noticably lower revving down the straights than some of the other cars, this could be becuase of the gear ratios they run relative to the other cars. Not sure...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:52 (Ref:709730)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps the Coyne cars dont hit maximum warp because they dont come off the turns well enough, which is why the cars are 4 and 5% behind the polesitter of the day.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Sep 2003, 02:03 (Ref:709739)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
No, that's not it. The Coyne cars are lower revving at the lower ranges. The only other thing I can think of that would cause it is if they were running really messed up gear ratios. Or they're always short shifting for some reason...though I don't htink that's it - they run longer gear ratios maybe?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:03 (Ref:709794)   #5
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahem - back to marcus's original question... The Cosworth's are spec engines, and therefore should all be producing the same power. If they aren't, I suspect that it has something to do with manufacturing tolerances.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:37 (Ref:709798)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford have said that there are very small differences of a few HP which shouldn't make any real difference in lap time. They have numerous cases where engines that have had multiple rebuilds and are on the final run before a rebuild have been very successfull in races and qualifying. I believe that the engines are distributed randomly and Ford does not select a particular engine for a given team. There isn't any advantage in doing this either.

IMO Ford has done an terrific job with the engines this year. They have been nearly bullet proof.

I may be wrong, but I think the main reason Coyne cars are running lower revs is due to the driver and setup. If they're slow in the corner, it may not justify a downshift. Keep in mind that optimal gear ratios are effected by aero setup. An ineffective or more conservative setup will likely have more wing
Old 6 Sep 2003, 05:00 (Ref:709810)   #7
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theoretically shouldn't the Cossies be bulletproof since they aren't even being pushed to their absolute limit?

I think Coyne sets his cars up to with the durability of parts rather than raw speed in mind. You can give them 50 extra HP and they would probably still be at the back.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 05:28 (Ref:709820)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Theoretically, your PC should never break either, as it's not being pushed to its limit either, but it happens. Every time an engine is rebuilt there's a chance there could be a flaw - be it a part, mechanical or human error. All things considered, the Cossies have been pretty bullet proof this year.

You might be right about Coyne. From what I've heard from a DCR crew member, a lot of the guys they've had this year have been useless when it comes to setting up the car (Yoong being the exception) - so they've just given them baseline setups (ie higher downforce, longer gears) to work with. That might have something to do with it.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 05:38 (Ref:709828)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if the teams send the teams decode when to send the engine to Cosworth for rebuilding or Cosworth itself looks after them. A lower revving engine should theoretically last longer, so it could well be setup with one eye on the budget.

And I have heard many many good things about Mr Yoong's setup skills, and how disappointed Mr Coyne is that the team doesnt have the sponsorship to run him again.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Sep 2003, 06:13 (Ref:709850)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any chance that Coyne has lower rev limits to everyone else, or can't you mess with the ECU these days?
Old 6 Sep 2003, 09:44 (Ref:709956)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the engines are spec, I guess the ECU is as well...
Old 7 Sep 2003, 02:01 (Ref:710521)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well that answers my question.

thanks guys , I was only using Coyne as an example.

and I must say its excellent to finally hear something nice said about Alex Yoong , shame he isnt still there I guess.