Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Feb 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1522262)   #51
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These other events - including the Bathurst 1000 - however are all part of a larger series which the people who attend can get to regularly OR can follow on TV.

Neither of these conditions applied to the previous Bathurst 24 hour events which left the event as a standalone in a country that has, in the past, continued to apply great levels of ignorance to sports car racing.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1522274)   #52
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
37 entries for a track such as Bathurst is not, really, a good field though, is it?
Given the time frame and such an event, I thought it was more than a fair effort.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 03:46 (Ref:1522287)   #53
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Actually it was 36 - 25 finishers and 11 DNF's.

2003 saw 33 finishers, 12 DNF's for a total of 45.

A better field but still below the capacity for the track.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1522387)   #54
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But after 2 years it was heading in the right direction. Building a fan base and competitors with an eye to achieve the capacity for the track.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1522456)   #55
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Yes - but it only had 2 years - no more.

And, as I mentioned before - when the opportunity was presented for drivers/cars/teams to start a series that could lead to this type of event - they didn't support it citing 'costs' - again, not good for an event like the 24 hour which would have cost many times more than the 500km race which was 'too expensive'.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1522479)   #56
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eastern Creek for a 24hour race? Come on, not even his Lordship Tony Cochraine can attract a crowd at that place, and besides, your faced with the problem at EC where you get caught in competitors headlights as the track at the approach to turn 4 and the approach to turn 9 faces each other.... meaning your blinded by head lights in the braking areas... this was shown in the 12 hour in 95...

All those that attended the B24 will attest the the fact that Bathurst is brilliant for such an even because in the end... who cares if you cant see the whole track, you have 24 wonderful hours, to enjoy every inch of the circuit.
Its an adventure at Bathurst, the ultimate challenge is single every lap.

In fact, id go as far to say its better not seeing the whole track... simply because when the car appears again, its like, ah, he's still going... or, if he disappears, you can normally find out from another spectator, or an offical as to where he's disappeared to... fun for all! Takes you back to the olden days, and besides, if we are to attract overseas competitors, why not show them the greatest bit of road we have.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1522483)   #57
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
But after 2 years it was heading in the right direction. Building a fan base and competitors with an eye to achieve the capacity for the track.
The 24 probably died two years too soon. At Le Mans in 2004 we spoke with many teams and drivers and the number asking about the state of the Bathurst 24 hour race was very suprising. Much the same at Goodwood 2 weeks later. A lot of people were just waiting to see how it developed and what direction the often unpreditcable rules might follow. If they can follow International rules who knows perhaps the 24 can rise again. Certainly hope so it's the only event so far that could make a weekend in Bathurst bearable.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1524728)   #58
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to this Easter's event , a week ago I sent the organisers an email requesting information about how many races will be held on the Sunday as their website doesn't have this basic information and also referring them to comments made in this forum about their decision to close the top of the mountain.They haven't bothered to reply which is showing contempt for potential customers. On the 24 Hour debate the two races run were among the most enjoyable motor sports events I have been to.It was always going to take 5 years to build a competitor and spectator base to the point where it was going to be an economic proposition.This required someone with deep pockets-I thought Ross was going to be that person.Unless someone like that comes along (unlikely I think) I can't see the race coming back.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1524734)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
Back to this Easter's event , a week ago I sent the organisers an email requesting information about how many races will be held on the Sunday as their website doesn't have this basic information.
This from the site

Sunday 16th April, 2006 Schedule

Car Club Parade Lap

Entertainment Session

Invited Cars Categories 1-6

Australian GT

Driver Autograph Session

Hot Lap Session

Aussie Racing Cars

Team Australia

Champions Challenge

Historic Touring Cars
Old 17 Feb 2006, 05:40 (Ref:1524787)   #60
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it is going to be a ripper event which will bring back the nostalgia of the Easterweekends of the past.I didnt go to the 24 Hr race nor would I go to one. seeing cars just toiling around using half the revs they use in a sprint race so they make it to the finish is not my idea of a motor race, I imagine it would be fun for the drivers but it has to be bulk boring for the spectators. I will be going there this time as there will be real racing and I am sure that the demo laps of cars from each era will be really fantastic. The racing classes are a pretty good pick as well I think. Historic Tourers of course will bring back some memories,Aussie Racers should really sound fantastic down down the straight and will be quick across the top and GT sports cars will be a great demonstration of some of the best Marques in the motor industry. I cant wait to be there.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1524869)   #61
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But after 2 years it was heading in the right direction. Building a fan base and competitors with an eye to achieve the capacity for the track
The lack of money to run the event killed it. Something reasonably short and sweet is what is needed at Bathurst.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1524934)   #62
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
I didnt go to the 24 Hr race nor would I go to one. seeing cars just toiling around using half the revs they use in a sprint race so they make it to the finish is not my idea of a motor race, I imagine it would be fun for the drivers but it has to be bulk boring for the spectators.
I can assure you cav is was anything but boring. It was a true endurance race, something Australia hasn't seen in a fair while.

If you think the likes of Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Morgan, Holden, Toyota, Mosler, Ford, BMW and the like threading their way around and through the top of the mountain with their headlights a blaze at 3am in the morning is bulk boring, I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
Historic Tourers of course will bring back some memories,Aussie Racers should really sound fantastic down down the straight and will be quick across the top and GT sports cars will be a great demonstration of some of the best Marques in the motor industry. I cant wait to be there.
The Australian GT race will anything but a demonstration run Cav, these boys will be going at it hammer and tongs.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:59 (Ref:1526598)   #63
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know they will be into it, my meaning of demonstration was that the racing will be a great demonstration of the marques in racing action. Dont feel sorry for me DRT, I did watch the TV coverage and the Mosler in particular was really barely cruiising and using revs that were not what you would call exciting. I know there are a lot of people who like endurance racing ,there is also a lot of people who like bowls and horshoe throwing,it is just not my cup of tea and this Easter there wont be any of it, just real ten tenths racing action.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1526631)   #64
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie Racing Cars could not get approval to run, wonder what will fill their spot?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 01:19 (Ref:1526632)   #65
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone ring the V8 Utes people...
Old 20 Feb 2006, 02:26 (Ref:1526645)   #66
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMPROVED PRODUCTION I want to race my car at Mount Panorama

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 20 Feb 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1526646)   #67
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To D.R.T.-I want to know how many races will be held for each class on Sunday-2 per class might be worth going to,1 would not.Also where have people seen statements or confirmation that Aussie Racing Cars are off the bill.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 02:56 (Ref:1526655)   #68
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are around 6 demo planned for Sunday and one race from each of the classes. As for ARC, seen nothing heard everything.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 03:17 (Ref:1526658)   #69
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be a good event to go and have a look at, hopefully with the friendly atmosphere that the old 12hr had.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1526665)   #70
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking about going to this. I would like to attend a meeting at Mt Panorama but the 1000 isn't really for me -- too many of the wrong kind of people. But after someone said there were only a handfl of 20 minute races across the weekend I'm having second thoughts.

I've only been to Bathurst once - did one lap in a tourist bus on a school excursion when I was a kid.

... they dropped a hanky on the straight to indicate the lap was underway, and we took off at a leisurely 20 km/h.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 03:16 (Ref:1527609)   #71
Skippy1976
Rookie

Skippy1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Get behind the wheel of a V8 at Bathurst this Easter

The WPS Bathurst International Motor Festival and the Gold Coast based V8 Super School are providing fans the opportunity to purchase the ride of their life in a Holden or Ford V8 on the Mount Panorama circuit this Easter.
http://bathurst.local-e.nsw.gov.au/n...ges/16361.html

COOOOOOOL (I just wonder how much hard earned i will have to part with though ?)

Unfortunately they have left out the contact details to secure a ride, but i presume you would need to contact the V8 Superschool for bookings.

Hopefully the press release will be updated soon on the site.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1527635)   #72
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The press release didn't leave it out though:

Quote:
To secure your hot lap in a V8 around Mt Panorama today please visit www.bimf.com.au or phone 07 5546 1366 for further details.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:21 (Ref:1527657)   #73
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I know there are a lot of people who like endurance racing ,there is also a lot of people who like bowls and horshoe throwing,it is just not my cup of tea
Could not agree ..more.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:25 (Ref:1527658)   #74
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Morgan, Holden, Toyota, Mosler, Ford, BMW and the like threading their way around and through the top of the mountain with their headlights a blaze at 3am in the morning is bulk boring, I feel sorry for you.
If they are only cruising around, hoping to finish, rather than racing ONE ANOTHER, yes it is boring. Bit like a modern version of the old REDEX trials.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1527664)   #75
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats wrong with a 625 mile race (do the maths). That would get them racing