Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3798955)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I can see that for Group A things are easier since it was used seamlessly all over the world. Unlike Group 1.5 or Francorchamps regs.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3799012)   #302
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
In France, probably as a test, the ex-Production cars homologated in Grp1 between '76 and '81 are accepted with no HTP. Unfortunately, the year of reference is '81 which, as far as I can remember, was not the best. But OK, its a good move forward I presume.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3799280)   #303
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
For a moment, I hoped that both MSA and FFSA could find an agreement around the Grp 1,5 regs to be applied in our two countries. Could it be the case one day or another or is there a law provision restricting this kind of thing? English rules seemed good enough not to dig up french Production ones.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3799799)   #304
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morning.

I wonder if you could help clarify for me, as I am somewhat confused with how to interpret all of this.

I understand that if a car is prepared to say 1978 Group 1 specification and obtains an HTP to this specification, it cannot then add parts homologated thereafter and maintain a valid HTP. That is understood.

What if a car originally built and prepared in 1974 to Group 1 spec, is subsequently upgraded in period with homologated parts to 1977/1978 specification and is then retired from racing. Can that car now apply developed parts (some homologated, some not) that were known to have been used on other cars of the same model that ran up to 1981? i.e. can that original car apply Group 1B/BSCC parts that other cars of the same model were known to have run in 1981 and then apply for a new HTP, whilst maintaining its 1977/1978 livery? Or, does the car have to lose its livery and use one from 1981 and become a visual replica of a 1981 car?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3799802)   #305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe the requirement is to run the car as it was in period thus if it is a 1976 car then it can't run 1981 parts that were homolgated subsequent to its years of competition.

It's a dilemma though because theoretically you may be able to run anything that was homologated in period. The difficulty is that you have to show that those parts were actually installed on the car, or the car that you are replicating, in question.

This is what I had to do for the Rover.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3799877)   #306
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The already muddy waters are further discoloured by the Gp1B / BSCC special period regulations! My take is that Peter is correct, and as he has jumped through the hoops with his own car, knows a lot more than me....

One question though- If the car you have is a period racer with proven history, is it not better to keep it as originally raced?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3799882)   #307
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The already muddy waters are further discoloured by the Gp1B / BSCC special period regulations! My take is that Peter is correct, and as he has jumped through the hoops with his own car, knows a lot more than me....

One question though- If the car you have is a period racer with proven history, is it not better to keep it as originally raced?
Indeed on both counts.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3799969)   #308
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The last question was: can that original car apply Group 1B/BSCC parts that other cars of the same model were known to have run in 1981 and then apply for a new HTP, whilst maintaining its 1977/1978 livery? Or, does the car have to lose its livery and use one from 1981 and become a visual replica of a 1981 car?
Then if Anta35 wants to build an ultimate weapon, should he change the livery to adapt the color scheme to the last homologation year?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3799983)   #309
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but then it becomes a replica.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3800005)   #310
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Indeed.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3800183)   #311
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you all for your input on this. You have confirmed what I had thought.

Look forward to seeing how Goodwood get their heads around this in March.

Lots of older liveried cars are running younger homologated/BSCC parts than their liveries would allow if the HTPs are utilised and enforced correctly.

For example, there is a replica of a 1974 Group 1 car running at Goodwood and as such it should have twin SU carbs, not Weber 48s (as homologated for 76/77, let alone the Weber 50s it has been using), it should have standard thin unvented front discs for brakes (not the vented ones it has), the tubular exhaust it has should be replaced for cast iron manifold etc etc...

Therefore for this car to maintain it competitiveness it will have to find a livery from 1981/82 to copy to get the most advantageous set of parts applicable for its HTP. Either that or it accepts it will be woefully slow, keeps its 1974 livery, removes all of the post 1974 parts and doesn’t get invited back again.

Doesn’t this mean that eventually everyone will be driving around in replicas of the same car eventually in order to maintain the most competitive car?
Old 10 Feb 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3800185)   #312
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntA35 View Post
Therefore for this car to maintain it competitiveness it will have to find a livery from 1981/82 to copy to get the most advantageous set of parts applicable for its HTP. Either that or it accepts it will be woefully slow, keeps its 1974 livery, removes all of the post 1974 parts and doesn’t get invited back again.

Doesn’t this mean that eventually everyone will be driving around in replicas of the same car eventually in order to maintain the most competitive car?
Ah, we're talking about the Members Meeting. Personally I'd rather keep the car correct, be slow, and not be invited back again. There's more to life than one race at Goodwood....... (I did, it was, and I wasn't... )
Old 2 Oct 2018, 06:49 (Ref:3853976)   #313
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a car was Homologated for Gp 2 but one was never used in period, does this mean it can`t be used in historics today ?
I think one example of the is the Reliant Scimitar GTE ?

alex
Old 2 Oct 2018, 07:11 (Ref:3853977)   #314
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Alex, If it Homologated You should be able to use it . . . . Whether race organisers want to see it or not is another matter. Remember, what really happened then is irrelevant to what happens now, which is a commercially biased take on what certain people with vested interests want us to think was history.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3854011)   #315
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The example of Scimitar GTE is interesting. Looking at the papers there are no extensions to the standard car homologation, which is perhaps why, apart from places like HSCC and CSCC, you don’t see many racing......
Old 2 Oct 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3854023)   #316
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the situation with S2 Europas. (Renault powered) Did they race in period?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3854047)   #317
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Does anyone know the situation with S2 Europas. (Renault powered) Did they race in period?
Look on the FIA Historic Database

https://historicdb.fia.com/cars/list?search=europa

If Homologated, you can race it.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3855452)   #318
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
If a car was Homologated for Gp 2 but one was never used in period, does this mean it can`t be used in historics today ?
I think one example of the is the Reliant Scimitar GTE ?

alex
If the car is/was homologated then there is no need for it to have raced in an International event in period.The classic case, long established, is the Gilbern GT
Old 9 Oct 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3855589)   #319
Alex E
Racer

OK that's interesting, thanks Jeremy...
Old 11 Dec 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3869469)   #320
Alex E
Racer

Maybe a little OT but what exactly are the rules regarding electronics in cars period H1 and H2 ?
I see some cars with updated electronic equipment such as ignition, rev counters, alternators etc.....is this generally accepted for reliability reasons ?
Or has it just not been noticed....alex
Old 12 Dec 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3869589)   #321
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think rev limiters have become acceptable for reliability reasons. Likewise electronic ignition. I recall Masters being one of the first to permit them.

I tried to stick to original ignition and then one day, an hour into the Spa 3hrs the heel fell off the points coming out of Raidilon. Race over.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3869608)   #322
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing has changed. The rules are there, we try our best to implement them and then they are ignored at events or cars put back to a specification which wouldn't have been accepted.

On electronic ignition. Masters regulations are "Series" regulations and have their specific rules for MSD in Period F, other than that Appendix K stands - if applied properly.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3869611)   #323
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed Louis. I should have clarified that series regs permit certain changes.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3898767)   #324
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been given the impression that air boxes on Chevron B19/21 are causing confusion with regards to being not fitted in period. I can assure those who are concerned for FIA paper purposes they were. They were not at first available from Chevron! but from John Lepp / Mirfield Garage, as he had the moulds made at his expense. The photo left taken October 1972 at Rouen Paris 1000Kms.

Last edited by p261brm; 20 Apr 2019 at 16:56.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3898776)   #325
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
I have been given the impression that air boxes on Chevron B19/21 are causing confusion with regards to being not fitted in period. I can assure those who are concerned for FIA paper purposes they were. They were not at first available from Chevron! but from John Lepp / Mirfield Garage, as he had the moulds made at his expense. The photo left taken October 1972 at Rouen Paris 1000Kms.
Thanks Stuart. There was dialogue between some teams and scrutineers at Barcelona two weeks ago concerning air boxes, but I’m not sure of the outcome. Am now endeavouring to get the full picture.......

Tags
homologation papers