Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jul 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3837067)   #1501
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It seems only yesterday we were being told that there was absolutely no chance of hosepipe bans due to the wet winter. Now what is front page headline in most papers? HOSEPIPE BAN TO AFFECT MILLIONS!.......
Old 17 Jul 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3837078)   #1502
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It seems only yesterday we were being told that there was absolutely no chance of hosepipe bans due to the wet winter. Now what is front page headline in most papers? HOSEPIPE BAN TO AFFECT MILLIONS!.......

Hosepipe bans are almost always guaranteed to kick off a couple of months of wet and windy weather. And of course we are nearing August - usually good for a storm or two.

If I was a politician (of some sort) wanting to show that I could influence the weather I think I would be announcing cloud seeding and the use of imported witchdoctors to perform rain dances about now - just so that I could claim to have solved the potential problem in the near future.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3837081)   #1503
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hosepipe bans are almost always guaranteed to kick off a couple of months of wet and windy weather. And of course we are nearing August - usually good for a storm or two.

If I was a politician (of some sort) wanting to show that I could influence the weather I think I would be announcing cloud seeding and the use of imported witchdoctors to perform rain dances about now - just so that I could claim to have solved the potential problem in the near future.
Is there any need to import witch doctors?
Old 17 Jul 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3837084)   #1504
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's OK, I pre-empted this a few weeks ago. I've been stockpiling hose pipes bought from the local garden centre, and am hoping to sell them at a profit when the ban begins...
Old 17 Jul 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3837087)   #1505
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's OK, I pre-empted this a few weeks ago. I've been stockpiling hose pipes bought from the local garden centre, and am hoping to sell them at a profit when the ban begins...
You sound more like Baubel with each passing day. Must be the heat!
Old 17 Jul 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3837093)   #1506
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmmm, when the water companies are supposed to lose about 20% of their supply through leaks as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-drought-fears

But if they fixed the leaking pipes, we would probably be all up in arms about the road works as well!
Old 17 Jul 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3837095)   #1507
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hmmm, when the water companies are supposed to lose about 20% of their supply through leaks as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-drought-fears

But if they fixed the leaking pipes, we would probably be all up in arms about the road works as well!

Am I right in thinking that there was a campaign about 15 years ago to stop the leaks by replacing the old Victorian era supply pipes with new plastic pipes? As I recall there was a levy on water bills to find it - levy never removed as far as I can recall.

Then 10 years later they had to start to replace the replacements.

The Estate in which I live was built in the late 70s. About 5 or maybe 6 of the properties in our small close have had supply pipe leaks over the past 20 odd years. I don't think the building standards on this estate were especially high but I doubt they are much higher now. The potential for more and more obvious near surface leaks, let alone the deeper pipes, must be large as more and more new developments are built for mnimised costs and maximized profits.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3837099)   #1508
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our wonderful water board (Severn Trent) were in our road 'fixing a leak' and managed to dig through mine & my neighbours Virgin TV & Broadband cable
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3837105)   #1509
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Living in the North-West, which I'm told has some sort of reputation for being somewhat moist at times, it does seem odd that we are the first to be given a hosepipe ban........still it helps me to maintain my reputation for having the dirtiest car at any of my Alfa meetings......
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3837109)   #1510
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the BBC News website, United Utilities are quoted as saying,
"it had the power to impose fines of up to £1,000 for people who flouted the new restriction".
Perhaps they should be fined a £1000 for every, lets say, 100 gallons of water they are assessed as losing through leaks.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3837110)   #1511
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You sound more like Baubel with each passing day. Must be the heat!
Thanks for the 'compliment' John. Unfortunately I can think of one Luton resident who may not see it that way...
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3837113)   #1512
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lucky for John Elwin there is a hosepipe ban, I was looking forward to using mine on him, the one with the lead filling.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3837117)   #1513
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Up north if they don't get rain for three days running it's classed as a drought so give em some leeway for panicking.
This is still nothing compared to summer 76 when it had been hot hot consistently for a couple of months preceded by a hot dry summer in 75 and a very dry winter. This year we've had 2 million years worth of rain between Christmas and the beginning of April plus the snowmageddon in March.

In 1976 we were told it'd take 200 years worth of rain to replenish the water stocks but in the end we had all of that by the following February and it didn't stop raining for two years after so I'm not getting too worried about not being able to have a bath just yet, just celebrating the fact I've only had to mow my lawn once in two months.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3837135)   #1514
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
On the BBC News website, United Utilities are quoted as saying,
"it had the power to impose fines of up to £1,000 for people who flouted the new restriction".
Perhaps they should be fined a £1000 for every, lets say, 100 gallons of water they are assessed as losing through leaks.

Yep, but they would still find a way to sneak the fine payments through on the consumer bills.

Making the Board pay for it personally might liven things up.

Obviously that would not be an appropriate thing to do if a board member was was an active motor sport enthusiast pumping a significant amount of his or her recompense into funding their interest in whatever branch of motor sport they preferred.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3837886)   #1515
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We have a dire water shortage in our area in Spain and the old infrastructure has leak after leak all the time, The water company Galasa seem to go into bankruptcy several times a year and yet people insist on washing their patios and cars as if there is no problem!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jul 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3839275)   #1516
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, am I being cynical to think that when M’way matrix’s show speed limits and ‘Reports of obstruction’ or ‘Reports of pedestrians’ it’s just bull poo? I went through 3 sections with such displays this morning and not a sign of anything or anyone....
Old 28 Jul 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3839279)   #1517
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not just you.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3839290)   #1518
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I recently used Waze in France and rather satisfied, considering its free unlike Coyote or others.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3839304)   #1519
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, Waze is getting very popular here.

It’s the local air show this weekend, which includes classic cars of course.... Spotted in town yesterday, a real rarity- Cortina Mk3 GT 2 door. Hardly ever saw one when they were new! Shame it had out of period alloys, but each to their own. A Cortina Lotus (Mk2) hardly got a second glance from me by comparison, but I did acknowledge the lhd PV544 3dr seen this morning....
Old 28 Jul 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3839309)   #1520
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
So, am I being cynical to think that when M’way matrix’s show speed limits and ‘Reports of obstruction’ or ‘Reports of pedestrians’ it’s just bull poo? I went through 3 sections with such displays this morning and not a sign of anything or anyone....

Probably a bit short on petty cash for the vending machine this month so NIP generation mode applied.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3839414)   #1521
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think PV's were not imported here on a regular basis, all started with the Amazon.Cortina MK3 GT means with the Essex engine?
Old 28 Jul 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3839466)   #1522
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No it was 3l in South Africa but 2l pinto in the UK.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3839497)   #1523
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Mk111 Cortina GT is rare enough that I don't remember them from back in the day ...

However, how about a Mk3 1600GT Crayford?

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=31462

Old listing but interesting nevertheless (I think).

That must be extremely rare ...
Old 28 Jul 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3839524)   #1524
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Mk111 Cortina GT is rare enough that I don't remember them from back in the day ...

I can remember them, just about. But my first grown up car as a newly arrived family man was a 2 litre GXL Automatic. Chose the auto because I lived in Surrey but worked in North London, so was fed up with having to spend so much time with the clutch depressed. And just 3 months after my sons were born (twins) I had had enough of that commute, so sold up and moved nearer work.

And have never gone back to a manual since.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3839557)   #1525
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I had a 3yr old Tawny 2000GXL and it was a great car. There was a 1600cc GT spec Pinto engine, as the Mk2 Mex also used it. I think it was also fitted to later Capri?