Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jan 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4095151)   #426
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
You are allowed to convert LHD to RHD and vice a versa. At least it says so in most regs I've read . . . . I haven't read App K for a while though.

can't take the excitement now I'm over the hill.
There were a very limited number of RHD Mustangs done in period for the Australian market. If doing a RHD Mustang today, you must replicate the complete period kit used back then.

Appendix K allows conversion if the production cars were available back then and that it can be demonstrated.
Old 24 Jan 2022, 11:35 (Ref:4095153)   #427
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
There were a very limited number of RHD Mustangs done in period for the Australian market. If doing a RHD Mustang today, you must replicate the complete period kit used back then.

Appendix K allows conversion if the production cars were available back then and that it can be demonstrated.
Thanks, I did not know about rhd Australian Mustangs and this is the first one I have seen.
Old 24 Jan 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4095164)   #428
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Thanks, I did not know about rhd Australian Mustangs and this is the first one I have seen.
We are very fussy about LHD vehicles being used on roads here in Aus. New / modern (LHD) cars imported must be converted to RHD to be driven on the public road.... it is only allowed to drive newer LHD cars with a single journey one-off permit to travel to a "recognised / approved place of conversion".

LHD cars over 25 years old can be driven, but only on a recognised car club registration permit, which allow limited use (I believe 45 driving days per year, although there was talk of being able to get a 90 day one for extra $ ) Each journey must be log booked and any car must not be used for commercial purposes or reward (ie say a car hired out for use in a wedding) For commercial use they must be converted to RHD.

We have a number of our (HTC) club members use the permit system to drive around in weekend 'toys'.

Oh and LHD vehicles (even with permit) cannot be driven at night unless you have paperwork to confirm dipping direction etc is as per RHD lenses the right colour etc. (it seems you cant just demo them working correctly!) Plus you have to have mirrors both sides. Oh and nothing LHD over 4.5 tonnes unless it is a roadsweeper!

That is the rule in Victoria,. NSW is similar. I think Western Aus and Northern Territory are a bit more relaxed about it.

Last edited by E.B; 24 Jan 2022 at 13:27.
Old 24 Jan 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4095170)   #429
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Figures vary for the estimates of the number made. 160-210 is the range of figures regularly quoted. Many of these were 6 cyl cars though. I am not sure whether they were Fastbacks or Notchbacks.

A white Oz RHD one was for sale in Brighton about 3 years ago. Advertised at £90k it sold quickly at one assumes twice what a LHD car would be worth.

I bought a right hand drive 65 fastback in Melbourne 3 years ago. Good to be RHD in the UK. Sadly mine is a Texas car that was converted in Tasmania in the 80s but the price reflected that. Great thing for going on the school run!
Old 24 Jan 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4095175)   #430
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't know the E.B.

no such bother here . . . just drive them! The only way to get a really good MK1 Cortina shell was to go to Europe 8-10 years ago . . . my race car was a lucky find way back, my road car was repatriated from Belgium, built in Dagenham though, As its original paint I'm loath to convert it, and Dhudda will never speak to me again if I do! Pre airflow is not as simple because of the dash, although I do have a LHD dash 'in stock'

Fortunately Lambrettas are both hand drive, so no bother there.
Old 24 Jan 2022, 16:42 (Ref:4095182)   #431
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
Figures vary for the estimates of the number made. 160-210 is the range of figures regularly quoted. Many of these were 6 cyl cars though. I am not sure whether they were Fastbacks or Notchbacks.

A white Oz RHD one was for sale in Brighton about 3 years ago. Advertised at £90k it sold quickly at one assumes twice what a LHD car would be worth.

I bought a right hand drive 65 fastback in Melbourne 3 years ago. Good to be RHD in the UK. Sadly mine is a Texas car that was converted in Tasmania in the 80s but the price reflected that. Great thing for going on the school run!
The one on racescarsdirect is up for £90k. A bargain then as it’s a V8 and an ex Spa 6 hour winner and Goodwood car.
Old 25 Jan 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4095255)   #432
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The one on racescarsdirect is up for £90k. A bargain then as it’s a V8 and an ex Spa 6 hour winner and Goodwood car.
90k for the right side, how much is the left side?
Old 25 Jan 2022, 20:02 (Ref:4095312)   #433
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
90k for the right side, how much is the left side?
i'd say around 25 k…

Tags
homologation papers